• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

What is "Vault7" ?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

What is "Vault7" ?

Unread post

Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits, malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.

"Year Zero" introduces the scope and direction of the CIA's global covert hacking program, its malware arsenal and dozens of "zero day" weaponized exploits against a wide range of U.S. and European company products, include Apple's iPhone, Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows and even Samsung TVs, which are turned into covert microphones.

Since 2001 the CIA has gained political and budgetary preeminence over the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA). The CIA found itself building not just its now infamous drone fleet, but a very different type of covert, globe-spanning force — its own substantial fleet of hackers. The agency's hacking division freed it from having to disclose its often controversial operations to the NSA (its primary bureaucratic rival) in order to draw on the NSA's hacking capacities.

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: What is "Vault7" ?

Unread post

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling we're in the midst of a real cyber war right now?

Why hasn't there been a leak dump committed against Russia yet?
Last edited by ant on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

When I saw your first post, I was reminded of "Area 51" and "Hanger 18" But there is obviously something going on here. Of course, I must admit I am no expert of Wiki Leaks, so I don't know how accurate they are. Will try to do a little more digging and see what I come up with.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I doubt this Vault 7 release is part of the cyber war between the U.S. and Russia if that's what you mean. Wikileaks indicates a Gov't contractor released it. There's a possibility of a "war" between the intelligence community and the President when seeing leaks about Russia after Trump castigates those agencies. We'll probably know only a small sliver of what's really going on, but it is interesting. Consider with all the cyber capabilities of the CIA, they are probably lame compared to the NSA. :P

Return to “Current Events & History”