• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

When will Saddam Hussein get the boot?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

When will Saddam Hussein get the boot?

Unread post

BookTalk Members:As a fun poll with no relevance to literature or BookTalk...think about this one. When do you think Saddam Hussein will officially be toppled from power? I'm not asking when will we begin the assault, but actually when will he be declared as ousted.You can post comments and opinions in this thread too.Results (total votes = 18):Saddam will be ousted by the end of March, 2003 &nbsp2 / 11.1%&nbsp Saddam will be ousted by the end of June, 2003 &nbsp3 / 16.7%&nbsp Saddam will be ousted by the end of September, 2003 &nbsp2 / 11.1%&nbsp Saddam will be ousted by the end of December, 2003 &nbsp3 / 16.7%&nbsp Saddam will be ousted sometime in the year 2004 &nbsp8 / 44.4%&nbsp  "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: When will Saddam Hussein get the boot?

Unread post

Everyone:My vote was before the end of December 2003. We should all take the poll and then post a message about what our guess was so we know who was most accurate.I think we will start the attack in March 2003 and have him out of there by November 2003. And I am well aware that this is a serious topic and that people will end up dying and all that jazz. War sucks and I am not advocating ousting Saddam. I am simply curious what everyone thinks will transpire from this point forward.If this thread gets some activity we can certainly discuss the subject in depth. It was be interesting to see how many people are for or against a military strike on Iraq. I'll refrain from commenting until others jump in.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da VinciEdited by: Chris OConnor  at: 8/22/02 11:10:39 pm
greg in the machine

Re: When will Saddam Hussein get the boot?

Unread post

I'm going with 2004. I think you're right that the attack - if it happens - will start in the spring of next year, but I think it will proabably take over a year to complete.This isn't going to be a shooting-gallery in the desert for our attack planes. Saddam is going to mass his forces in urban areas where we're going to have to root them out building by building. Bad.G
Thurkon17

Saddam

Unread post

I think, as Chris does, that the attack will happen next year...but as far as when he is ousted? I'll make a different bet...he won't. Not in the time frame mentioned. Hard to oust a leader so firmly entrenched. The Iraqis are not the Taliban. These guys have a little more organization and will power. But I hope I'm wrong...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Saddam

Unread post

Greg:Yes, that's what I've heard. He plans to stick his forces right in with the civilians so we can't carpet bomb or lob bombs into their forces. We'll have to send our men in and weed them out exposing us to the dangers we so successfully avoided last war.The whole thing thing makes me nervous as hell. I sure hope Bush has evidence of Saddam building weapons of mass destruction. Part of me is worried that Bush has an ulterior motive of wanting to construct his own legacy by coming in and cleaning house after his father left unfinished business with Iraq.One thing I've never understood is how a leader such as Castro or Saddam can consciously remain in office when they know a major superpower is going to attack them and their country if they do so. Simply stepping down to save their own people from a bloody war seems like the smart thing to do. Then again, Bush would never step down if China threatened to attack us if he remained in power, but I have to use poor analogies like that to try to put the show on the other foot. There simply isn't an aggressor out there that could come in and wipe us off the face of the map. If there was I would feel Bush has an obligation to his people to step down. Especially if this aggressor has no expressed intentions of taking control of the target nation, and simply wants the leader out of office. If the leader really cares about his nation and people...step down!So this shall be interesting. With international affairs such as wars or campaigns time moves seemingly slow. It very well could be 2004 before we have Saddam ousted. But I look back at the Gulf War and then at all the new variables in a potential conflict on the streets of Iraq and I guess this will take till the end of 2003, and hopefully no longer.I bet Bush is planning a massive invasion to quickly overthrow Saddam. I doubt he is leaving much room for failure...especially after his father didn't complete the job. Bush takes this more seriously than anything else I imagine. He really has a job to complete for his father and family.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thurkon:You may be right about us not being able to oust Saddam. With the tactic of mxing soldier with civilian we are in for a major challenge. I wouldn't want to be in the US Army right now for sure.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
stevepainter

Unread post

I'm with Jim. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

When?

Unread post

I went with 2004 because Bush Jr. will not repeat one of the mistakes his father made: Going to war too early. G.W. Bush has a luxury his father did not have: The ability to time the war. He will make darned sure the war is fresh on the minds of voters when they're in the voting booth in 2004.
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: When?

Unread post

I voted end 2004In order for our allies to stay with us, Bush is going to have to make sure we have evidence of WoMD. Else, we'll be taking out Saddam, AND shooting ourselves in the foot. Also I agree, in that its going to be a very ugly war. [font color= red]This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.[/font]
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: When?

Unread post

Bump!If you haven't taken the poll please do.Chris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.

Return to “Current Events & History”