• In total there are 26 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Corrupt American Politics

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Corrupt American Politics

Unread post

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/us/po ... .html?_r=1

I had trouble copy/pasting it, so here's the link. Someone help me out here, what do we do about lobbyists?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Corrupt American Politics

Unread post

Government service is just that. Service. It should not be for profit, nor to gain power, or otherwise amass riches for yourself, or for lackys.

No kick-backs. No cushy jobs with the companies you who want you to rule in their favor. No predatory legislating in favor of companies you have previously worked with. No gifts. No presents. No free-bee trips, boats, cars, jets, or rides in any of them. Limit campaign contributions with extreme predjudice. Eliminate campaign advertising on regular television and cable. Establish new channel where legitimate campaigns run ads for free, with schedule divided by local / state/ national coverage times. Channel personnel fact-check statements in ads, call them out on their bullshit.

sigh....

Theres so much more that needs to be done.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Until you reduce government power, you will have lobbyists influencing legislation. If you can dish out billions of dollars of favors, do you really think it can be done purely "in the public interest"? Campaign finance laws are just for show.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

The massive influence of lobbyists, especially those promoting corporate interests, is definitely a problem. Political campaigns are very expensive, and catering to special interests make it a lot easier for politicians to raise enough money to be elected.

Public funding of political campaigns would be very helpful. I'd much rather have the government pay for campaigns directly, since the current system of informal bribery has a much higher cost. Unfortunately, many citizens don't recognize the corrupting influence of campaign contributions and dislike the idea of taxpayer money paying for stupid campaign ads. Also, the vested interests that benefit from the current system will oppose any efforts to change it.

Individual campaign contributions can also help. If a higher fraction of campaign funding comes from individuals with no string attached, politicians become more free to do what they believe is best. Though I mainly contribute to candidates to help elect the more agreeable candidate, reducing corporate influence is a side benefit.

I'm pessimistic about the situation improving. After all, the Supreme Court blocked restricting on corporate campaign contributions in the Citizens United case and the Tea Party types tend to be heavily pro-corporate.
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

My god, didn't you get the news? In the new adminsistration of Hope and Change there are no lobbyists. They're banned. They've been driven out of the temple by the Messiah. They are no longer an issue. Now, moving right along.....

Corrupt politician is redundant.
downtown1441
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Yeah whenever someone tries to get in a discussion with me about some specific political issue I have a real hard time participating since it's like, "Uh - the lobbyists and corporations have bought and paid for our entire government. Nothing else really matters."

I don't know how people can work on Capitol Hill, just happily plugging along, when the entire system is just so friggin' corrupt.
patrickt
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Your absolutely right. Between the corrupt unions and so-called special interest groups it's impossible to find an honest person in Washington.
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Interbane wrote:what do we do about lobbyists?
Shoot them? Just a thought.
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I Someone help me out here, what do we do about lobbyists?
Ignore them! Stop voting for the parties that are being bought. Think about non-participation! EDIT: ...too much smash, bam boom kill... judo, not UFC.
Last edited by Kevin on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Speaking of corrupt politics, here's Newt Gingrich getting eviscerated by Jon Stewart, since nobody else is bothering to connect dots.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-j ... share_copy
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Current Events & History”