• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Chapter 8. The Village

#51: July - Aug. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Chapter 8. The Village

Unread post

Summary

strolling to the village every day or two

the life of gossip

returning to Walden at night

finding ourselves

a night in jail

respect for property at Walden

http://www.vcu.edu/engweb/transcendenta ... ter08.html
Walden Study Text
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The running of the gossip gauntlet in the village is a real hoot. Thoreau is at his comic best here. You can picture him venturing into town and then escaping by the skin of his teeth.
For the most part I escaped wonderfully from these dangers, either by proceeding at once boldly and without deliberation to the goal, as is recommended to those who run the gauntlet, or by keeping my thoughts on high things, like Orpheus, who, "loudly singing the praises of the gods to his lyre, drowned the voices of the Sirens, and kept out of danger." Sometimes I bolted suddenly, and nobody could tell my whereabouts, for I did not stand much about gracefulness, and never hesitated at a gap in a fence. I was even accustomed to make an irruption into some houses, where I was well entertained, and after learning the kernels and very last sieveful of news -- what had subsided, the prospects of war and peace, and whether the world was likely to hold together much longer -- I was let out through the rear avenues, and so escaped to the woods again.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Yes, like 'running the gauntlet' . . . so many instances in our own lives are like this.

I liked the way he spoke of gossip as getting started as being 'something on the wind', how all gossip starts this way.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I also like the way he said 'a man need only to be turned around twice, with his eyes shut, to be lost in this world'.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I think he enjoyed being in jail for the night - it seemed to amuse him.

He got his shoe repaired while he was there.

Return to “Walden - by Henry David Thoreau”