• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

General discussion....

#49: May - June 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

General discussion....

Unread post

General discussion....

Yesterday I stopped by our local Border's Books to pick up a copy of "Our Inner Ape." One of the employee's who helped me locate the book on the shelves initiated a discussion with me on his love and appreciation for science. We talked for maybe 10 minutes before I handed him a BookTalk business card. I'm really hoping to see him join us on our forums. We offer so much value to science buffs.

When I went up to the register the girl behind the counter also showed an interest in the book I was purchasing. Usually I don't get such positive reactions when buying BookTalk selections. Maybe this is some sort of sign. 8) When I gave her my email address ([email protected]) so she could look up my Border's account she just had to ask about BookTalk. I explained what we're about and gave her another BookTalk business card. I won't be surprised to see her join our site either. And she also volunteered to give out our cards (hopefully some of our bookmarks too) to Border's customers when they are at the checkout counter.

What a day! Two potential science lovers, and one of which might help spread the word by distributing BookTalk cards to fellow book lovers.

How many of you have bought or plan to buy "Our Inner Ape?" Today is Mothers Day and I have spent the past hour or so reading out loud to my wife as she prepares a huge Mothers Day meal for her mom and family. We do this often. I love reading out loud because I remember more, and we both love to share the books in this way.

I better get downstairs. They're here.
:smile:
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Chris:
Today is Mothers Day and I have spent the past hour or so reading out loud to my wife as she prepares a huge Mothers Day meal for her mom and family. We do this often. I love reading out loud because I remember more, and we both love to share the books in this way.
I love to be read to! I think this is a wonderful way to share a book, reading back and forth. Now that my girls are grown I do not have anyone to read to anymore. You and your wife are very lucky.

Saffron
Biomachine
Master Debater

Unread post

I don't know how to make the bookmarks/cards myself, but if you sold them on your site for the amount it takes to make them, I'd be willing to leave them at the library. Their entrance is advertisement galore as it is and I think a stack of Booktalk bookmarks/cards would fit in just fine. Tell me what you think.

I plan on reading Our Inner Ape, but there might be a delay because I have it on hold at the library. I might be a week behind everyone else, but I'm definitely in.
Last edited by Biomachine on Sun May 11, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I plan to read Your Inner Ape, though later than you, Biomachine, my copy will take 2-3 weeks to arrive.
Ophelia.
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I got the book today :) I can't wait to start discussing it.
"We can do not great things, only small things with great love. It is not how much you do but how much love you put into doing it."
-Mother Teresa
bradams
No End in Sight

Unread post

I've read it before, and a few other things by de Waal. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I'll read it again for the discussion.

A word of warning though: I suffered some side effects from the book. I viewed everyone I came into contact with as a clothed chimpanzee for months afterwards, and interpreted the interpersonal dynamics at work (a factory) through the lens of chimpanzee politics. I still do the latter, but I'm over the first side effect after about a year.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

LOL I did the same after reading "The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am reading it now! I am enjoying it!

Return to “Our Inner Ape - by Frans de Waal”