• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A discussion about the format for this reading

#48: May - June 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

A discussion about the format for this reading

Unread post

This was the Chapter 1 thread, but I have renamed the thread into a discussion of the format for this reading period. I will create a new thread for Chapter 1.
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Fri May 09, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Yikes! How to begin a discussion on Your Inner Fish?? This is going to be a hard book to discuss. So far and I am at chapter 7, it has been a straight forward description of fossil hunting expeditions and the scientific explanations for what was found. One idea I had is to also read Our Inner Ape by Frans De Waal and use the ideas in each book to stimulated a discussion. Both books are relatively short and we have 2 months. I have already begun to read Our Inner Ape and I do think it would make for a much better discussion to read them both. Note to Chris: if we read both I would volunteer to be discussion leader.

Saffron
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I support Saffron's idea. It's true, both books are brief, and at least from what I've read in Fish, there aren't many points of possible contention, as the subject matter is technical (though very accessible). So it would help to broaden the discussion with the Inner Ape book.

DWill
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

DWill wrote:I support Saffron's idea. It's true, both books are brief, and at least from what I've read in Fish, there aren't many points of possible contention, as the subject matter is technical (though very accessible). So it would help to broaden the discussion with the Inner Ape book.

DWill
I have long been suggesting using a topical approach to our discussions, where we use multiple books (and each participant can choose to read both or any one). It has not been met with enthusiasm in the past.

I do not know that I will read "Inner Ape" yet (although it is on my list) because I am too busy and I have some 'pleasure' books in which I would rather delve.

But I say go for it.

Mr. P.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

From a management perspective this idea is difficult to implement. We have an existing format to our BOOKS page, forum setup, discussion periods, etc... And now that we're on the 9th day of May how many people would actually order, receive and read a 2nd non-fiction book for this discussion period? We're quickly approaching being 25% of the way through this discussion period.

Do we have to find points of contention in order to find value in discussion? While I'm only on chapter one I am already seeing things to discuss. And how would our author, Neil Shubin, feel about seeing his books message diluted by piggy-backing it with another book? We are, afterall, asking a professor to do a live chat session with us. What message are we sending the author if we, for the first time in BookTalk history, decide to read a 2nd book concurrently because the first book doesn't have enough substance to make for exciting discussion?

I feel it is a little too late to change our course, at least for this discussion period. We can always read Our Inner Ape as our next non-fiction book. How many votes did that book receive? I'd have to go back and check the poll thread.

Is there a different way to add substance and meat to this discussion? Could we make this more of a topical discussion without adding an entire new book to the discussion period/forum?

Please keep discussing this issue. I'd like to get more opinions.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:
Please keep discussing this issue. I'd like to get more opinions.
But perhaps we should move this tangent OUT of the Chapter One thread!

Mr. P.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Chris,
I definitely don't think the only way to discuss a topic is by disagreeing with it or picking it apart to expose its flaws and weaknesses. I am finding this book fascinating, with lots of interesting ideas. Shubin's subject matter is so specific and contained. I am finding it hard to think of ways to discuss the book without looking to other material to compare, contrast and metaphorically apply the concepts to other situations. I guess this can work if we explain our outside source or idea, maybe rather nicely.

Saff
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'll rename this thread and create a new Chapter 1 thread.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I'd like to cruise the internet and find some paleontology professors who have read the book already and ask them to become BT members.

If they don't provide input that we can 'discuss' at least they can add some depth to the book, which will make for better conversation with the author during the live chat.

I also think we can wrap this one up at the end of May. The book is incredibly informative and written in a friendly, informal, and conversational voice. It reads soooo fast. I can easily put away a chapter a day and there are only 11 chapters.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Dear Anonymous BT member,
What a resourceful guy you are! I was thinking that it would be good to be able to have insight into how other paleontologists view this book. Most of us do not have the sophisticated knowledge of paleontology to be able to see some of the subtleties of the case Shubin is presenting.

If they don't provide input that we can 'discuss' at least they can add some depth to the book, which will make for better conversation with the author during the live chat.

Saffron

Return to “Your Inner Fish - by Neil Shubin”