• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

NC- XIII- political values?

#47: April - May 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

NC- XIII- political values?

Unread post

As for the content, this is a deeply political book without once mentioning politics, as most readers would understand it.

It implies not so much the regret for lost values that other reviewers have noted and which may be obvious in the text (but which it is arguable provided a mere interlude of integrity between the normal condition of self-centred violence in the American West) but a gentle questioning of patriotism when your country has drifted far away from your own ideals and understanding, when you don't know what you are fighting for (and putting ourself at risk for) any more, when it asks too much and gives so little in return.

The American working man's experiences in America's wars overseas is a running theme 'sotto voce', underpinning the account of one incident in what is really a civil war in all but name, one in which government agents and drug runners seem to be fighting over who actually represents the will of the American people.
Bold characters mine.

Review by Tim Pendrics.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1249 ... or_Old_Men

Do you think there is a political message in No Country?
Last edited by Ophelia on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia.
Kenneth
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I found the linked review at GoodReads to be pretty lame. The reviewer declares flat out that it is a political book and attempts to back up his concrete statement with pretty much nothing: America's wars overseas, sending working class men into battle has come home to roost-- now the world "outside the USA" is knocking on the door of our homeland- the texas border.

I dunno about this. For me it's a reach. You shouldn't state a thesis without proving it and this guy doesn't come close.

A political book? Maybe. There's politics in the heart of a main character (sheriff Bell)-- abortion, euthanasia and the death penalty are issues that emerge. But where is the political bent of Cormac McCarthy in the telling of the story? It may be there but I need help. Any takers?
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Where's the poliltics? Unless it's to tell the government we need faster guns and tougher sheriffs . . . I don't see any political message.

Return to “No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy”