• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

NCFOM, fim by the Coen Brothers: Our Culture.

#47: April - May 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

NCFOM, fim by the Coen Brothers: Our Culture.

Unread post

Please continue the discussion of the film here.

Randy Kadish Randy Kadish has been starred
Eligible to vote!

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:44 am Post subject: No Country For Old Men: Our Culture Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
I just saw the movie No Country For Old Men. Frankly, I don't see how this movie got such great reviews. IMHO, it was just a series of brutal acts committed by a very sick individual. To me, the movie had nothing uplifting to say. (I don't want to give away the details of the ending.)

What I find even more troubling is that the movie got such great reviews. I always thought art should should help people see things from a different perspective and help them come to terms with the world and see that life, with all its problems, is worth living.

To me, our culture seems to glorify the meaningless of life.

Randy
Google
AdSense

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:44 am Post subject: Please help to support this site

40 Helens
Getting comfortable

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
****SPOILERS BELOW******

Hi Randy. I felt the same way about the film, and wondered if I'd missed something, when I read all the great reviews. I've always enjoyed the humor in the Coen brother's films, but it was scaled right back in this one.

I think psychopaths make for very boring characters, unless they're used as a device to showcase the emotional struggles of other characters in dealing with them, but in this case, people simply died, or in the case of the Tommy Lee Jones character, commented on his crimes from a distance. It seemed as though we were supposed to view the villian as a symbol of the kind of modern crime, the old sherrif just wasn't up to dealing with, yet the villain had nothing in common with normal people, so it didn't ring true.

Helen
Mr. Pessimistic Mr. Pessimistic has been starred
Upper Echelon **

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
40 Helens wrote:
****SPOILERS BELOW******

Hi Randy. I felt the same way about the film, and wondered if I'd missed something, when I read all the great reviews. I've always enjoyed the humor in the Coen brother's films, but it was scaled right back in this one.

I think psychopaths make for very boring characters, unless they're used as a device to showcase the emotional struggles of other characters in dealing with them, but in this case, people simply died, or in the case of the Tommy Lee Jones character, commented on his crimes from a distance. It seemed as though we were supposed to view the villian as a symbol of the kind of modern crime, the old sherrif just wasn't up to dealing with, yet the villain had nothing in common with normal people, so it didn't ring true.

Helen

One of my favorite all time Psychos is Travis Bickle!

Thats all. I have not seen this movie yet. It did not look all that appealing to me from the get go...but I will probably watch it when I get a chance to rent it.

Mr. P.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
40 Helens
Getting comfortable

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
[/quote]

One of my favorite all time Psychos is Travis Bickle!
Mr. P.
[/quote]

I like Travis too. I was thinking about various movie psychopaths this afternoon, and wondering if I really agree with what I wrote. The psycho in No Country for Old Men, was closer to the clinical definition of a psychopath (no ability to feel empathy; unemotional affect) with no real mystery as to why he behaved like he did, whereas Travis Bickle's mental instability was interesting because it seemed to have been fueled by his life experiences, and you couldn't predict what he was going to do next.

I liked Patrick Bateman from American Psycho too; I guess I do find psychopathy entertaining if it's treated in a metaphorical or amusing way.

Helen
Randy Kadish Randy Kadish has been starred
Eligible to vote!

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
Helen,

Well said. So I'm not alone.

Randy
Chris OConnor Chris OConnor has been starred
BookTalk.org Owner

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
The book might be much better than the movie, because I have no such complaints about the book and I'm about 1/2 way through it. In all honesty it is really hard to put down. Tonight should see me through to the end and I'm savoring every moment of the experience.

One of our friends has the movie, or is getting it through NetFlix or Blockbuster, and they're planning to loan it to my wife and I soon. But I definitely want to have the book read before I watch the movie. Did you guys ever see Pulp Fiction? And did you like the movie? I've got a friend that considers Pulp Fiction his favorite movie, which has always intrigued me. A movie that appears solely based on senseless killing seems rather shallow, but there is something going on at a deeper level when you watch such movies. People like these killers actually do exist. We all have probably passed them, at one point or another, in our cars on the road, or in the mall when we're shopping. These movies show us the fragility of life and how one wrong turn or decision can change everything in an instant.

How about Natural Born Killers? This is another of those movies that glamorizes ruthless killing. But damn it is a good movie. Some part of us longs to live vicariously through these villains and scumbags and gangsters. Maybe we feel so constrained by the rules and regulations and laws of modern society, that when we see people with absolutely no respect for such manmade concepts and institutions we're caught like a deer in the headlights.

Personally, I really love gangster movies. Good Fella's is one of my all-time favorites. And HBO's Soprano's had me completely addicted where, even after each Season ended, I had to watch the episodes again on DVD. Lots of sociopathic killing in all of the above, yet these shows and movies sell like hotcakes. And I admit I'm a buyer.

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -- Mark Twain

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Chris OConnor Chris OConnor has been starred
BookTalk.org Owner

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
What do you guys think about me creating the forum for No Country for Old Men soon? We don't start that book till April, but people are already discussing it so we might want to open the doors to a larger discussion.

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -- Mark Twain

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Ophelia Ophelia has been starred

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
Good idea.

Ophelia

Audrey Audrey has been starred
Almost a regular

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
I just rented the movie tonight. I'm in the process of reading the book and my significant other (who has already read the book) wanted to see the movie badly, so we watched.

I found the book (or what I have read so far) in great relation to the movie. This movie would be dark and gloomy, if you remain on the surface and do not become involved with the author. Cormac McCarthy, is unlike any author I have ever read, non-traditional would be a great category for him. He utilizes a great deal of symbolism (which I am still trying to figure out) and character development. This story has thrown me in a loop in there character area, but I tend to keep picking it apart and hopefully getting some ideas from the boards in April.

A reoccuring theme utilized by McCarthy is his sense of tragedy and death. These themes are also prevalent in his book "All the Pretty Horses". Although many of his works are dark, they have a great deal to offer....I guess i'll save the rest of my ideas for the reading of the book.

Overall, good movie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
40 Helens
Getting comfortable

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
Now I'm quite interested in reading the book. I think this may have been a case of a film capturing the plot points and atmosphere of the original work, but not conveying the whole story, because (I assume) a lot probably took place in the characters' or narrator's thoughts.

Quote:
People like these killers actually do exist. We all have probably passed them, at one point or another, in our cars on the road, or in the mall when we're shopping.

Yes, I agree. I read, Without Conscience, last year, and the author felt the percentage of psychopaths in society was growing (he estimated they comprise 4% of the population), because they have an evolutionary advantage over the rest of us. They can have children and walk away without remorse, leaving a series of non-psychopathic partners to raise them, and their ability to lie without experiencing guilt, gives them an edge in accumulating material wealth.

Reading that book, sort of demystified them for me though. I'd always found it exciting to contemplate what made them tick, and like to read or watch stories about them, searching for some insight. But the author gave a pretty mundane and reasonable sounding explanation for their behavior. It reminded me of how I used to enjoy books and films about supernatural phenomenon when I was a teen, but lost interest once the Internet came along, and it was easy to debunk any far fetched story with a few clicks.

Helen
Last edited by Ophelia on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Marilyn Marilyn has been starred
Eligible to vote!

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:25 am Post subject: Curious. Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster Report Post
I just read through the discussion of the film, "No Country For Old Men"--actually as both curiosity and an attempt to figure out why the film has lingered with me over the past two months. As my friends and I exited the theater after viewing the film a couple months ago, my friends response was that this was the worst movie they had ever watched. I am always interested in the art of film and a frequent movie viewer and forever not quick to judge. But, I, too, was apalled by the blatant violence in the film--I'm one of those peeking through the fingers sort of people when the blood flows too thick and yet, I want art and realism and not fluff and fuzzy. Anyway, over the past few weeks and after the film won the Oscar, I have mulled over and over why and even still today I can see the exact face and figure of the heartless, emotionally dead psychopath with his weapon at his side. I, too, keep thinking I missed something--and perhaps, there was more there than the violence because the film has stayed with me over the past couple of months. My question--if a film has the ability to linger and provoke thought, does that mean it worked its magic on its audience?????

Just a note--I've read several of McCarthy's book--which I find fascintating; his language is powerful and fresh. My favorites--"the Road" and "All The Pretty Horses".
Ophelia.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Characters I want to read about/Making sense of it all ...

Unread post

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking the movie. (From what I've heard I have no desire to read the book.) BTW, I also disliked "Pulp Fiction" and "Natural Born Killers."

What ever happened to heroes who stand for something, who struggle against inner and outer conflicts and try to do some good? Those are the characters I want to read about.

IMHO, the philosophy of the meaningless of life - I won't call it existentialism because I have a streak of it in me - pervades our culture.

Yes, after the horrors of the 20th century many us have grave doubts about the human condition, but I believe it is the responsibility of the artist to struggle to find solutions or at least glimmers of hope.

As someone who has had a lot of disappointment in life, and who now has a hard time making peace with the world, I'm not saying it's easy of find hope. Some days I can't, but I still keep trying, still keep trying to make sense of it all, and I believe to a certain extent I have. That's what I try to share with me readers.

Also, I suspect that the reason we see and read so many violent acts in our movies and books is because it's the easier way for a writer to get an emotional reaction from his audience.

Anyway, that's my rant for today. Thankfully playoff hockey will soon take my mind off all these dark questions about life.

Randy Kadish
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Characters I want to read about/Making sense of it all .

Unread post

Randy Kadish wrote:Anyway, that's my rant for today. Thankfully playoff hockey will soon take my mind off all these dark questions about life.

Randy Kadish
AH! A hockey fan! who is your team Randy? I have been a Ranger fan since birth.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Big time Ranger fan.

Randy
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I'm getting the movie outta' the video store soon . . . then I can give my opinion.

I sure did enjoy the book!

Return to “No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy”