• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

No Country- IV- The style.

#47: April - May 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

No Country- IV- The style.

Unread post

IV- The style.

1- Can you give examples of what you consider to be characteristic of Cormac McCarthy's style in No Country for Old Men?

a- punctuation
spelling
sentence construction
etc...

b- use of point of view.

2- What effect does this style have on you?

I've read many comments like this one on the net:

"I find McCarthy has the wonderful ability to write in conversational tones that I have witnessed in my time growing up in the south. I personally find that, more often than not, this lends a certain level of authenticity to his stories and his characters."

Is this your impression, too?

3- If you have read other novels by McCarthy (I haven't) , is the style in No Country different from that of his previous novels?

And if so, do you think there is a reason?
Last edited by Ophelia on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

He read the Faulkner and the Hemingway but the Faulkner mostly and then he started writing about guns and fate and men. ;-)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello John,

Here is a terse answer from a mysterious BT member.

It's a long time since I read Faulkner and I can't think of a link, but it seems that you didn't mean your answer to be taken at face value.

Would you like to elaborate?

And also, would you like to write an introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" threads to tell us a little about yourself?
Ophelia.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I found this bit on a random page in AS I LAY DYING, the last Faulkner I read:

Because I said will I or wont I when the sack was half full because I said if the sack is full when we got to the woods it wont be me.

To me, McCarthy writes in a very similiar vein (few or no commas or apostrophes, character's thoughts blending with the narrative voice, etc.). This isn't a bad thing, mind you. I happen to like the style.

What effect does it have? I thought about this question and didn't come up with much. It adds a sense of urgency, I suppose. I want to say that it reads faster, but sometimes I find myself having to re-read a sentence to figure out where the commas should go before the sentence makes sense.
_____
I posted an introduction, by the way. I assure you that there is nothing very mysterious about me. Sadly.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I think my answer would be just what many reviewers wrote: the style is stripped to the bare minimum, which reflects the action and the surroundings.

Like you I sometimes had to go back and read again, so this is not exactly George Orwell's prose, "transparent like a windowpane"; yet sometimes when there were no problems with remembering which character "He" was, I really had the impression that the absence of inverted commas or other marks of punctuation allowed me to read faster, as if there were no physical obstacles for the eyes, and everything was naked. I'm not sure whether that's something I imagined or not.

I'll add that I am normally very conservative about punctuation, and I had expected to be annoyed by the liberties taken, but it wasn't a problem.

The quotation from Faulkner you give is interesting.

I've ben wondering: is this unconventional use of punctuation and style (run-on sentences, etc...) a characteristic of (some) American authors only, or can it be found in novels by British authors as well?
Ophelia.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Great question.

All I can offer is this: George Bernard Shaw thought that using apostrophes for some conjuntions was silly, and he removed them in a few of his pieces. His idea was that "d-o-n-t" is only a contraction, so no one would be confused without the apostrophe, but there needed to be an apostrophe for "i-l-l" to differentiate between "i will" and "ill" (sick).
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I had forgotten about apostrophes, I was only thinking about the missing inverted commas to introduce dialogue.

I have no idea what McCarthy meant by "dont" as opposed to "don't".

I'll paste something from another thread (about the Americanness of the novel).

Steve wrote:

Quote:
Have you ever noticed the change in the style of writing over the past 70 or so years? A Russian novelist like a Tolstoy will take a page just to describe what one his characters is wearing. By the 1940's it drops to a paragraph. By the 1960's its a couple lines. The 90's brought as description by brand name. "He wore a Burberry trench coat an a Oyster Rolex. In this book there was almost none.

Yes, amount of description is central to style ...and theme in a way.

I remember reading Victor Hugo's Les Miserables at school. Or perhaps Balzac is even more charactersitic of the old school: in Le Pere Goriot, before he introduced the characters, he described everything about where they are, the building where they live, the other tenants in the building... and all those pages were essential to understanding the theme.

Yet, after reading reviewers praising MCCarthy's minimalist style, I found at least three examples of new (postapocalyptic?) motel scene descriptions like this:

p 107: "He (Moss) paid and put the key in his pocket and climbed the stairs and walked down the old hotel corridor. Dead quiet. No light in the transoms. He found the room and put the key in the door and opened it andwent in and shut the door behind him. He set the bags on the bed and went back to the door (..) he went into the bathroom and got a glass of water and sat on the bed again. He took a sip and set the water on the glass top of the wooden bedside table. "

Wells, page 145: "He went on to his own room and set his bag in the chair and got out his shaving kit and and went to the bathroom and turned on the light. He brushed his teeth, and washed his face and went back into the room...".

MCCarthy has the reputation of being a very able writer.
There must be a reason for telling us the characters opened their motels rooms with a key and then actually got into the room, and where they set their bags, but what is it?

As I read such pages I think of the author, who must have an overall plan that escapes me, and is laughing because he knows such passages will irritate people like me.

I read a review by a reader who had to make do with the French translation of No Country.
She was bewildered because she had read other novels by McCarthy ( which I haven't done) and she couldn't understand the bad writing and was wondering whether the translator should be sacked.

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

John: Have you read other novels by McCarthy? (I haven't).

Did you find a difference in style between No Country and the others?
Ophelia.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

The first thing I thought of when I started reading 'No Country' was Brad Pitt's voice - just as it was when I listened to that audio version of 'All the Pretty Horses'.

Just reading 'No Country' in print, I was able to remember that 'style' of writing - that conversational style that engages the reader.

Yes - the answer is YES! Emphatically!

I've read nothing else by the author yet, (other than All the Pretty Horses and I'm not sure of that . . .) mind you, so maybe I'm wrong - maybe it's different in the others.

But I think I'm going to be reading a lot by McCarthy. So I'll soon know.
Last edited by WildCityWoman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I just did one of those 'daily writes' thing at WBBS . . . thought I'd share it here too - here's something from me, deliberately written in this style CM's got in NCFOM:

A Walk in the Dark

It's that kinda' day; summer's well into herself now. We're talkin' at a little more than half-past July and lookin' forward to those warm days, cool nights that get ya' goin' this time of year.

Afternoons like this, I can really get into myself, doin' that deep-body-knowin' thing the guru's always gassin' about on the dharma talks. I just lay there on my side - yeah, I know, you're supposed to be straight up on your cushion, chair and wherever one hand's settin', the other's gotta' be doin' the same - and you're not supposed to be doin' it lyin' down, 'cause ya' might just fall asleep.

But sleepin' never did me wrong; summer afternoons like this, I can sleep through and face myself in the bathroom mirror afterwards, no guilt, no regrets, no sense of lost time. It's my bed, my time and my life, and if I wanna' lie on my side, one foot restin' on the other, I'll do my meditatin' like that. Betcha' when I get to heaven, there ain't gonna' be any ex's in that black book somebody's keepin' just 'cause I didn't meditate the way the guru's said I oughta' be doin' it.

Yeah . . . just that kinda' afternoon, might just sleep right through, eat, then go back to bed till nine. Might find myself walkin' through the house in the dark around three a.m., but at this age, I don't worry about anybody comin' round to rip the 'good sleep keepin' seal' off the door.

Meanderin', y'say? Yeah, I'm meanderin' . . . just that stream-of-consciousness stuff - you can say that. But it's just my way of talkin' to myself, and when I'm up tonight, wanderin' round in the dark, I'll be havin' myself a damn good chat with myself.

Oh, summertime, and the livin' is easy . . . too old to be thinkin' about sendin' out my resume, hoping somebody's gonna' tie my ass to a secretarial chair and keep an eye on the uckfayin' clock.

Gettin' a mite cloudy out there . . . shouldn't have let the weather hear me talkin' 'bout it I guess.

Return to “No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy”