• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Constantine Cross in the Sky at Battle of Milvian Bridge

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Constantine Cross in the Sky at Battle of Milvian Bridge

Unread post

Emperor Constantine established Christendom after the battle of Milvian Bridge of 28 October 312. He reportedly saw a cross in the sky the night before the battle, and this vision became the basis of the Chi Rho cross of the church.

In looking at a map of the sky that night, a cross formed by the zodiac and the Milky Way galaxy can be seen, as as in the picture below. The planets Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Venus, Mercury and Neptune form a line along the path of the Sun on either side of the Milky Way to form a large cross in the pre-dawn sky centred on Sagittarius. As well, on the other side of the heavens the zodiac stars and the galaxy form a cross in the evening sky centred on Gemini. Both these crosses are clearly visible every October. Since then, the point of the ecliptic marked 270 degrees, next to Jupiter in the picture, has precessed to the middle of the galaxy.
Milvian Bridge Constantine Sky Cross Galaxy Zodiac 28 October 312.jpg
Milvian Bridge Constantine Sky Cross Galaxy Zodiac 28 October 312.jpg (210.77 KiB) Viewed 993 times
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Re: Constantine Cross in the Sky at Battle of Milvian Bridge

Unread post

I don't see the crosses. It reminds me of a picture I was shown in elementary school that contained an old woman and a young woman - the trick was in seeing both of them. Well I'll do a little more star-gazing...
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”