• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Victims of pedophile priests and imams help create more victims with silence.

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

I recently watched this disturbing movie and recognize that what it portrays fairly closely what is happenings in reality right now.

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=fQa ... ht+trailer

The silence and complicity of the religious are facilitating and colluding in the future assaults on children. Silence or the acceptance of a payoff, in my opinion, is direct collusion with these religious criminals and I see the past victims of these pedophiles as now helping their own assailants create new victims by their silence.

I appreciate that going public is hard, but if victims do not come forward, I see them as helping the priests and imams that are left free to abuse other children.

There are some who will read this and know that in a real sense victims are guilty of helping the pedophile problem continue.

I would urge these victims and their families to step up and do the right thing and return the payoffs and lay charges instead so that we can rid our churches and mosques of these predatory criminals.

Do you agree that silence is just as immoral as the initial crime when victims accept payoffs from religions to buy their silence?

Regards
DL
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Victims of pedophile priests and imams help create more victims with silence.

Unread post

No I will not blame the victims. I blame only the priests, the religion that covered this up with skills honed over 2000 years, and criminal justice systems that seem reluctant to aggressively prosecute these sorts of cases. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. Check out their fight and the powers aligned against them. Here are just a couple of current examples.
An abusive Catholic cleric – who is suspected of molesting more than 50 kids and whose whereabouts were deemed “unknown” by church officials - has turned up in Hawaii. Though his church supervisors knew of his crimes as far back as the 1960s, they let him keep teaching in Michigan and four other states.

2/12/16
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-sea ... story.html
http://www.snapnetwork.org/mi_hi--proli ... ms_respond
Dozens of northern Minnesota Catholic church staff members have a chance to protect kids from a proven predator priest. And since Vatican officials are knowingly putting these kids in harm’s way, Duluth area church employees and parishioners must take action to safeguard the vulnerable. Church bureaucrats in Rome have told a bishop that he can lift the suspension of convicted cleric who molested at least two Crookston area girls.

2/11/16
http://www.ucanews.com/news/indian-bish ... sion/75204
http://www.snapnetwork.org/mn_church_of ... ictims_say
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Victims of pedophile priests and imams help create more victims with silence.

Unread post

http://www.brokenrites.org.au/drupal/node/391
Cardinal George Pell is feeling "too sick" to face the Catholic Church's victims in Australia but he is healthy enough to continue his big job in Rome as one of the Vatican's top leaders. This Broken Rites article examines some of the background to Pell's reluctance to re-visit Australia to appear in person at this country's national child-abuse Royal Commission.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Thanks guys for the information.

SNAP is actually a part of that movie.

LanDroid
I hope you did not read what I put as blaming the victim for his assault.

That blame belong to the assailant only.

My blame towards the victims of assault only comes into play if they are silent and or are persuaded by parents to just take the hush money. Even then most of that blame belongs to the parent.

Societies have Good Samaritan and Duty to rescue laws for good and moral reasons. Yet most are not recognizing the duty being ignored by not laying charges and just taking the payoff.

If I was a pedophile priest or imam, I would be smiling. I would love the idea that most people saw sex crimes against children as a form of prostitution where the price is negotiated by the parents after the crime.

Shame on those parents.

Regards
DL
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I haven't seen the movie - I intent to... But I look at the hush money situation as somewhat like your relatively weak negotiation position when buying a car. Few people buy cars very often, but car salespeople and their managers obviously make multiple deals per day - they have significant advantages with information and experience. Similarly, but with a much larger imbalance of power, when the Church calls on these families, it has several thousand years of experience sharpening skills that allow Priests to continue to rape. They have been propagandizing on the special role that Priests have in a society since they were children and understand what levers to twiddle - emotionally, spiritually, ethically, socially - to manipulate, almost to re-molest those families who, in contrast, have zero experience in that realm. So I understand your point, but we must have compassion for families of victims who are so masterfully exploited.

Here's another vicious angle on the silence of victims, another must see movie...
The molestation of any child is untenable, but that these children were deaf makes physical some of the issues of silence that allowed this abuse to occur in so many other places to so many other children. St. John's students worshiped Murphy in no small part because he was adept at American Sign Language. Many students came from nonsigning families, so Murphy was one of the few adults in the world they could communicate with freely. Which he used to cruel and perverse advantage.

Review: 'Mea Maxima Culpa' looks at Catholic Church's abuse cover-up
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

masterfully exploited
a phrase that covers accurately a huge proportion of the story of the human race.

if only we could admit it to ourselves we could begin to turn the tables.

face the darkness within and you will be ready to defeat the darkness without.

i think of darkness in terms of ignorance or a lack of understanding and light as knowledge or awareness.

and masterful exploitation in terms of keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em shite.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: So I understand your point, but we must have compassion for families of victims who are so masterfully exploited.

]
No argument with this.

That compassion should not push us to not advise the victims to the best moral position and action.

Many see the Golden Rule as our number one rule for life and following that says that a victim should warn his community of the predator in their midst.

Warning is doing the best unto others so not warning others cannot be seen as moral.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
masterfully exploited
a phrase that covers accurately a huge proportion of the story of the human race.

if only we could admit it to ourselves we could begin to turn the tables.

face the darkness within and you will be ready to defeat the darkness without.

i think of darkness in terms of ignorance or a lack of understanding and light as knowledge or awareness.

and masterful exploitation in terms of keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em shite.
Most may not want to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14SllPPLxY

We need a French type revolution to bring our oligarch owners to heel and it is not near.

Most men seem to have lost their sense of duty and honor.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”