• In total there are 35 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Morals Without Religion

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadamDarkmatter
Getting Comfortable

Morals Without Religion

Unread post

While I'm not very religious (or at all, I don't know), I often wonder where we'd be morally without religion.

Granted, being religious doesn't guarantee that you are also a moral person, but it seems as if all moral standards have thier roots in religions one way or another. Would they have grown on thier own without religion? If we did not have religion, would we have no morals-would we as a race arbitrarily make decisions with no guidance? Can we?

I believe in neither inherent good or evil in people, but that we're shaped by examples and, with a few exceptions, we're born "morally neutral". I haven't been exposed formally to any religious teachings, or any particualarly atheistic influences, so where does everyone else weigh in on this?
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Morals Without Religion

Unread post

What I think is, it is not the religion but the society which injects the moral values in to us... In different countries where the same religion is followed are having different moral values..
“Her blood is settled, and her joints are stiff;
Life and these lips have long been separated:
Death lies on her like an untimely frost
Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.”
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

personally i dont buy the thought "without religion we'd all be immoral beasts"

religion has probably caused far more immorality than it has stopped.

various religions like to "lay claim" to this and that as if the thought never manifested anywhere else earlier, what i'm getting at is...

if it didn't say in the bible "do unto others as you would have them do to you" it would be no big deal, because the same thing is written in buddhist, hindu and egyptian texts in various forms much earlier and if it wasn't, who cares, because little billy higgins from number 23 down the road would probably say it sooner or later if no-one else did.

in other words things exist before they manifest in a particular place and time, the truth of "do unto others" was potentially there before anybody said it. just like gold was there before anyone dug it up, or noticed it lying on the ground, it's just that someone had to get there sooner or later.

morals may stem from religion but religion stems from man, so it is all in man, but a word like man can mean many things to many people

mere man, mental man, imaginative man, murderous man etc etc

what humans are is far more amazing than anything they usually think.

i guess what i'm trying to say is humans have the potential to transcend good and evil, left and right, up and down, the illusion of duality etc etc

there is a "place" you can get to from here where you transcend all thought and have a direct experience of unity with the immanent transcendant within, kids do it all the time when they are playing, before some ignorant adult says "you need to get your head out of the clouds kid!"

i'm a bit of a morals schmorals kind of a guy, i just see ignorance as the enemy.

immorality is just ignorance in disguise

i'm also a bit religion schmiligion, because in my experience most religious people dont even understand their own belief system and many people who know next to nothing about "religions" say and experience stuff that is in those religions, religion must serve man not man religion.

i mean just look at fundamentalist literalism (if you have a strong stomach) it has produced great mental sickness and huge immorality in muslims, jews, christians and even buddhists for goodness sake!!!

the problem with religion is bad people just ruin it and good people already have their own.

HOWEVER!

having said all that, the greatest moments of my life have been moments where i have gotten a sudden insight into a thought form contained in an ancient belief system and even better moments when i have directly experienced what they were trying to get at.

BTW:
wow i just love that twain quote Rajeshma! i was having fun improvising with it
eg. a person who wont think has no advantage over a person who cant think.
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

MadamDarkmatter, I guess first we have to define what is moral and what is immoral before discussing this topic ..
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

MadamDarkmatter wrote:While I'm not very religious (or at all, I don't know), I often wonder where we'd be morally without religion.
Actually right where we are. All morals are man made and might differ according to the religion devised by man in the particular part of the world where particular morals are practiced. But the basic biggies remain pretty much constant.

The knowledge of "right" and "wrong" is inborn or very soon developed. No society, human, or those of lesser animals; would exist long without what we call "morality" but what is really simple survival for whatever species we are talking about.
MadamDarkmatter
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Rajeshma- I suppose I mean doing what's best for others and mantaining a sense of fairness and justice despite personal desires. However, I couldn't say what that fairness or justice is. Isn't that a relatively subjective term, depending on your perspective and societal influences? I can't say what it means for everyone, and I'm not sure what it means to me (if that makes any sense). The whole subject of morality is confusing to me

Lady of shallot- Is that to say that religion has no influence on how our morals develop? I thought religion at least had...standardized morals in a way
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

MadamDarkmatter wrote:
Lady of shallot- Is that to say that religion has no influence on how our morals develop? I thought religion at least had...standardized morals in a way
I am saying that man invented religion(s) so the "morals" attributed to any religion are in fact invented by man. We can see this currently (although not given a religious basis, but a scientific) yet still a moral belief. . . things like living green, global warming, re-cycling etc. Also things like acceptance of gay life styles, gay marriage, no bullying. These are still moral precepts, yet not necessarily religious based, still they are a reflection of what society deems most desirable for itself at this point in time and in this culture.

I guess in a way you could define "moral" as a behavior that is condoned by a particular society at a particular point in time. And that the members of that society are made to feel guilty if they do not conform to that behavior.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

MadamDarkmatter wrote:

People develop morality.

Religions have adopted morality and claimed it as their exclusive domain, but in actuality, religion is an outgrowth of humanity’s attempt to grasp the world and understand it, long before it was known that subjectivity and opinion had little to do with the true character of reality. But in the absence of objectivity, where opinion reigns, the only way to defend that opinion is through censorship, punishment, and threats of eternal damnation for those who oppose that opinion. Because there is no way to point to the objective reality and to confirm that some way of looking at things is the correct way if there is no reference to empirical fact and evidence in the foundation of those assertions.

Because religion essentially has banned dissent and any attempt to controvert the current opinion of religion, it has the effect of stagnating and ossifying the rules set out by the dominant class of whatever culture invented that religion. Out of their grim defense of the indefensible, they have made questioning and changing any precept of religion the moral equivalent of treason against humanity, and as a result whatever false notions and principles that were held when those codes were laid down can never be changed (according to the religion) and so must forever remain as wrong as they ever were no matter what the consequence. For to acknowledge the inaccuracy of any of their baseless claims is to allow for further inquiry. And since the whole thing is founded on baseless opinions, rather than fact and evidence, the whole thing is bound to fly apart if it were seriously questioned. Cosmology, morality, the valuation of human life, and the lot of it.

So religion has functioned as a snap shot, of sorts, of the prevailing prejudices, attitudes, and philosophies of it’s founders. In some cases these philosophies overlap with what we would today call good moral behavior and that is fine, even to be expected. It’s hard to imagine a culture that endorses murder as a morally upright behavior, for instance, or the taking of property from those who do not wish to relinquish it. But where these moral codes overlap with our society, and even other societies which share less cultural heritage it is simply the codification of rules already in use by pre-historic cave men that facilitated peaceful, productive co-existence of a group of animals who could survive and be more prosperous together than apart.

These moral codes can be found in any number of other literature and are not the exclusive domain of religious text, no matter what proponents would have you think. The valuation of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, (thou shalt not kill, steal, adultery etc..) so to speak, is a simple extension of empathy. Where religions do have specific behaviors they would enforce and which are not found elsewhere in other literature we find that those pieces of advice either push some specific agenda related to the acquisition and retention of power for the administrators of that religion, or are meant to instill some fabulous spooky sense of awe in the believer to solidify that religion’s hold on them. (that a sacrificial bird should have it’s head twisted off, rather than chopped, or on which side to place the sacrificial blood to the alter etc…) In either case it has little relevance for what we would call a moral life (Keep holy the Sabbath, no god before me etc…)
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

MadamDarkmatter, Yeah.. Fairness , justice, Moral values etc are relatively subjective terms, depending on your perspective and societal influences...

As Lady of shallot said , "moral" is a behavior that is condoned by a particular society at a particular point in time. And a set of such moral values at that time was taken by the religion. So religions are fossils or a snapshot of the period in which they were evolved.

Consider the religion as a photograph of you as a kid and society as yourself. You will keep on changing but the photo won't. Religions and their moral values are rigid and it reflects the moral values and beliefs of an ancient society. Just like your photograph.Whatever you see in the photo is how you looked when you were a kid..
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

johnson, in your last sentence you hint at another of the functions of what seem to anyone as pointless ritual behaviors and commandments: to enforce the solidarity of a people. We can easily see this function of religion in the 600-odd commandments of Judaism. Some of them might have once had a practical purpose, but mostly they serve to set aside one group from all other groups. Like the advanced primates we are, we like to bond in groups and to preserve group identity.

With regard to the moral codes of religion, most famously the Ten Commandments, it's easy to forget what it must be like to live in a society without laws. True, small societies had social customs that functioned similarly to laws, but these didn't work well enough as societies grew bigger and more complex. The religion's moral code was like a set of laws covering many groups of people. So I think the Ten Commandments were more than just a reflection of what already was; they were an attempt to impose a moral order on a state or national level. There does seem to be good cause to see civil institutions as being born in the religious institutions that preceded them. It took a long while for societies to become really secular, and a few aren't even there today.

Wikipedia makes a good point here about the 10 Cs as essential organizing principles of a good society, as that was viewed at the time:

The Ten Commandments concern only matters of fundamental importance: the greatest obligation (to worship only God), the greatest injury to a person (murder), the greatest injury to family bonds (adultery), the greatest injury to commerce and law (bearing false witness), the greatest intergenerational obligation (honor to parents), the greatest obligation to community (truthfulness), the greatest injury to moveable property (theft).[17]

Because they are fundamental, the Ten Commandments are written with room for varying interpretation.[17] They are not as explicit[17] or detailed as rules and regulations[18] or many other biblical laws and commandments, because they provide guiding principles that apply universally, across changing circumstances. They do not specify punishments for their violation. Their precise import must be worked out in each separate situation.[18]
Last edited by DWill on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”