• In total there are 38 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Revolutionary Metaphor of the Cross

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Classic Iconoclast

Revolutionary Metaphor of the Cross

Unread post

The vertical beam represents man's relationship with spirituality, distorted through institutional religion.The horizontal beam represents man's relationship with other men, distorted through government.And where religion and state intersect on the cross, torture, murder, and the negation of humanity are the results.History has proved this true, time and time again.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Revolutionary Metaphor of the Cross

Unread post

I propose we do away with one of them. I'd rather not resort to being a hunter-gatherer, so my choice is obvious.
Classic Iconoclast

Unread post

I wish you the best of luck with trying to get rid of either. They both seem to have staying power. Ignorance is remarkably resilient.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Icon: "I wish you the best of luck with trying to get rid of either. They both seem to have staying power. Ignorance is remarkably resilient."I completely agree, symbolism aside. My abrasive response was due to the symbolism.Welcome to booktalk BTW, what do you go by? Icon is catchy, tis why I used it.
marti1900

Unread post

Anybody know when the cross was first used as a revolutionary symbol? Of course, it's religious symbolism comes from those following Christ's teachings, using his instrument of death as a symbol.Hard to imagine a religion using, say, an electric chair, as a symbol.Do you think (or know) if the burning cross used by the Klu Klux Klan is used as a religious symbol (we are all good Christian men), or a political symbol?Marti in Mexico Edited by: marti1900 at: 5/25/05 9:16 pm
Classic Iconoclast

Unread post

I'm a journalist and novelist. I wrote Prescription Pot, a book about George McMahon, one of seven patients who receive legal marijuana from the U.S. Government, through a secretive FDA program. My dystopian novel JUNK is being released in two months, and preliminary reviews are comparing it to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, and Will Rogers. A film is even in the works. If you like, take a moment to check it out at www.waronjunk.com (turn your speakers on).How about you?
Classic Iconoclast

Unread post

Comedian Bill Hicks once said, "Why do people wear cross necklaces? Do you think if Christ returns he wants to see a f*cking cross?"
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You've left me hangin Icon. Your book on pot... are you for or against smoking pot and why? I believe I caught your perspective, due to the program being secretive. My friend and I were just talking about how I used to come home during the military and reminisce our high school days once every few years and wax philosophical. Also, your posts have tended toward religion, a couple out of seven as I've seen. I only mean this to review your intent in hindsight... what's your stance?
Classic Iconoclast

Unread post

Regarding religion... I despise the dogma, superstition and self-righteous bigotry associated with organized religion. I also distinguish spirituality from religion. Spiritually, I am a fundamentalistic agnostic - I don't know the answer, but I KNOW I don't know. Regarding cannabis...I'm considered by many to be one of the top American experts on the subject. I speak on the issue throughout the nation.My perspective cannot be reduced to "for or against". Like most substances, cannabis can be used in ways that harm and ways that heal. One size does not fit all. But the legal system, in an effort to administer equal justice, takes a one size fits all approach, with devastating social and economic results. Legislators attempt to treat a health issue as a criminal justice matter, and the results have been deadly.I do not believe that children and adolescents should use cannabis (or cannabis-based medicines) unless they do so with a doctor's authorization. Unfortunately, our laws have made it easier for children to obtain cannabis on the street, since black-market dealers rarely ask for ID.I do believe that doctors and patients should have access to a wide range of cannabis-based medicines (inhalers, patches, vaporizers, sub-lingual sprays, etc), just as they do with opiates.Federal research indicates that 9% of chronic cannabis users develop a dependency to cannabis. However, this dependency is not physiological, but emotional. And people can become emotionally dependent upon anything that provides pleasure: money, sex, work, gambling, relationships, religion, etc. Additionally, the 9% dependency rate is less than the rates for alcohol, nicotine, opiates, barbiturates, etc.Regarding the purported "gateway theory" (marijuana use leads to other drugs), there is NO empirical or clinical research data to indicate that a physiological gateway exists. In other words, cannabis does not cause users to crave other substances. However, the cannabis policies have created a sociological gateway effect, as cannabis consumers must seek black market sources for their supply, and the black market suppliers are often dealing other drugs as well.Fundamentally, I believe that adults should be able to control their own bodies. Unless a person violates the property, life, or liberty of their fellow citizens, I do not believe they should have their property, life or liberty violated by the state.If you have further questions about marijuana, please don't hesitate to ask. I also recommend my book, Prescription Pot. Certain federal officials DID NOT want this book written, and they repeatedly attempted to sabotage the project, but they failed. The genie is out of the bottle.BTW, people on cannabis often wax philosophic because marijuana stimulates the right hemisphere of the brain. Edited by: Classic Iconoclast at: 5/26/05 5:52 pm
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

marti1900: Of course, it's religious symbolism comes from those following Christ's teachings, using his instrument of death as a symbol.Celtic use of the cross appears to be pre-Christian, as do related examples, like the swastika of Indo-European cultures.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”