• In total there are 38 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Prejudice

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Prejudice

Unread post

This topic began in last Thursday's chat, and I'd like to discuss it a little further. I am definitely prejudiced against religion. Prejudice is sometimes used as a short form of "racial prejudice", or more generally, "irrational prejudice", and I think we all agree that those are bad things. My dislike of religion is not the result of emotional conditioning against a group of people, however. Theists are a diverse lot. Rational contemplation and study have brought me to the conclusion that religion, in general, is not a good thing for my species.What is the basis for a non-believer to say, "you shouldn't be prejudiced against religion"? I'd guess most of us are prejudiced against schizophrenia... not against schizophrenics, necessarily, but wouldn't we like to see the disorder eliminated? Are we prejudiced against the physical parasites that prey on us? Are we beholden to give staphylococcus a fair shake?So, what about the theists themselves? Many
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Prejudice

Unread post

I agree."Rational contemplation and study have brought me to the conclusion that religion, in general, is not a good thing for my species."This is the core of your idea I believe. Do you have any examples?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

JeremyExcellent post. I'm in agreement with every word.Quote:"...most of us are prejudiced against schizophrenia... not against schizophrenics, necessarily, but wouldn't we like to see the disorder eliminated?"Faith is like an illness that we should strive to cure. Believing in something without a sound reason is a horrible waste of a brain.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

>The dark agesBurned "witches"Praying for health instead of learning medicine
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Hehe, thanks. Good examples BTW.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Prejudice, as I see it in this context, involves pre-judging the issues before examining them; or purposefully choosing not to carefully explore the issue from multiple perspectives, employing various lenses, and keeping a critical yet open mind to the outcome.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”