• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Motifs

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
teacherlady
Getting Comfortable

Motifs

Unread post

What motifs do you notice and what theme do you see these motifs leading us (the readers) toward?
haroldsucks
Official Newbie!

Re: Motifs

Unread post

Observation and Eavesdropping
L2c
Official Newbie!

Unread post

i kind notice that there is always a gloomy and somewhat depressing feeling in the mood of the story, kinda like a white on gray painting. i guess its like how most people say that the theme might be about the darkness in the heart of the people. though i kinda feel like its more like the author is trying to make the story more depressing and dark to match the story and give it a more powerful effect.
killax415
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Deaths theres a lot of deaths in this book. So i think death is a motif not sure what it leads the reader to know, but i know that it helps provide a theme for the book, develope a tone, and a mood.
GREEN tURN$ tO BLACk, GREEN $MOkE tO BLACk, GREEN BURNt tO BLACk -REBELUtiON
Chuany
Official Newbie!

Unread post

There's always a reoccurring thingy about the unsolved mysteries of that still lie in wait for Marlow, So i definitely feel that Mystery is a motif. Another motif would be how the author address's such death going on with a gloomy atmosphere. I guess what I'm trying to say is the manner of how the author deals with death?
Hanna
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think Dark is a motif, because the book so far has a really dark feeling to it.
aft999999999
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It seems that the motifs that exist in the story live inside the mood and setting and are basically the darkness that exists in Marlow's mind as well as the environment he is in. The entire plot focuses on the conditions of the societies of that time where they had to hide in darkness which may have been ignorance or pride to feel that they were doing something right.
There are 3 kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't
Oliver G.
Official Newbie!

Unread post

L2c wrote:i kind notice that there is always a gloomy and somewhat depressing feeling in the mood of the story, kinda like a white on gray painting. i guess its like how most people say that the theme might be about the darkness in the heart of the people. though i kinda feel like its more like the author is trying to make the story more depressing and dark to match the story and give it a more powerful effect.
I like your analogy and your post about your opinion on the theme of the story.
WAFFLEonFACE
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think the enlightenment of the mind is a motif that we have observed many times with Marlow. He wished as a child to the Congo not knowing what would happen. He now learned of what is the truth of the Congo and he has reached the point of no return.
juyu5
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think some motifs is darkness, evil, and abandonment. The story is a negative one, with depressing tones.

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”