• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

HD- Ophelia's introduction.

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

HD- Ophelia's introduction.

Unread post

For those of you who join the Heart of Darkness threads now, I'll explain that there was such enthusiasm about the novella that the discussion started before the official date (!) and before anyone had volunteered to moderate.

I will call those threads (without Roman numerals) the informal discussion for the sake of clarity. Feel free to post wherever you wish...
At this stage I haven't decided whether I would transfer parts of the informal discussion into the other one in order to avoid repetitions, as this would be time-consuming and perhaps entail technical difficulties.

The Roman numerals I use in my headings do not refer to parts of the book, they are for my own use and some of them will probably change.

When I refer to pages from the novella, the edition I am using is the Penguin Edition.
However, I have re-numbered the pages (!).
In my paperback the novella starts page 15, which I will call page 1, etc.
I hope that this will prove useful.

Naturally, feel free to add your own threads whenever you feel one is needed.
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Ophelia - It seems that at the moment we are discussing Narrative Style and establishing a common meaning for Colonialism.

I am enjoying discussing and considering these two topics, but will you make it plain, by asking us questions, when we go onto the next topic?

I have decided that HD is a very subjective novel....very much from Conrad's point of view. I think he definitely is using rhetoric to persuade us of the cruelty of the situation. It was unspeakably cruel. So I forgive him.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
"Ophelia - It seems that at the moment we are discussing Narrative Style and establishing a common meaning for Colonialism.

I am enjoying discussing and considering these two topics, but will you make it plain, by asking us questions, when we go onto the next topic?"

Spot on remarks and questions once more Penelope! :)

When I started with my headings I wrote the beginning, the conclusion headings and decided I would return later to fill in the gaps.
When I do (haven't thought about it yet, who knows when inspiration may strike) I will use Roman numerals starting with XII.
Ophelia.
WildCityWoman
Genius

I'm about to read the first page . . .

Unread post

OK - I've read the first page - I've started.

Carly :-0
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Keepidup Carly - I have used my positive +Karma vote for today - but you will get my tomorrow one!!!

Remember:- we need to cut Conrad a bit of slack....that is local dialect for 'give 'im a break' - because he doesn't seem to have had the influence of a good woman. ;-)
jales4
Intern

Unread post

I have finally started it - and was pleasantly suprised at how interesting it is - from the first page.

I find my mind wandering through some of the scenic descriptions, and have to go back and reread them to see if I've missed an important bit of the plot.

When I purchased Heart of Darkness I also bought the Coles Notes for the book. Funny enough, the book of notes is twice the size of the actual book!!

Jan.

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”