• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

My general notes on this book . . .

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
WildCityWoman
Genius

My general notes on this book . . .

Unread post

This doesn't really interest me much; kinda' wordy, unnecessarily wordy, IMO.

It depresses me too . . . just the way these men think they're the greatest thing since pop-up toasters - like these foreign lands are just waiting for them to arrive and show them how to live and what faith they ought to be following.

Anyway, in all fairness, I'm giving it to the end of this chapter, then if I still don't like the book (still find it a tedious read), I'm closing it.

You know what they say - so many books, so little time.
Last edited by WildCityWoman on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Feeling better about this . . .

Unread post

Out seeing 'The Golden Compass' today with my granddaughter - enjoyed it immensely.

Anyway, I've just looked over the first few pages of HD - I feel better - I think the reason I considered it to be too wordy is because some of the paragraphs are so long and everything seems crammed together.

I think I'll take a good crack at it tomorrow and see how far I get with it.

Maybe it's because I've already read so much this year (at least 5 books) and have done myself in.

The material in HD is so different from what I've been reading lately - that's probably throwing me off too.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Good news . . .

Unread post

You can listen to this book online - click here . . .

http://heartofdarkness.loudlit.org/audi ... rkness.htm
WildCityWoman
Genius

Section 1 Part II

Unread post

Page 16

They were dying slowly -- it was very clear. They were not enemies, they were not criminals, they were nothing earthly now -- nothing but black shadows of disease and starvation, lying confusedly in the greenish gloom. Brought from all the recesses of the coast in all the legality of time contracts, lost in uncongenial surroundings, fed on unfamiliar food, they sickened, became inefficient, and were then allowed to crawl away and rest. These moribund shapes were free as air -- and nearly as thin.

OK - now it's GOT me . . . I'm caught up in the story.[/i]
WildCityWoman
Genius

Page 17

Unread post

The man seemed young -- almost a boy -- but you know with them it's hard to tell.

That's something you don't see anybody say in print or aloud, these days.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Section 1, Part 3

Unread post

Page 13

(I'm going by the way the online version I'm reading is marked)

A nigger was being beaten near by. They said he had caused the fire in some way; be that as it may, he was screeching most horribly. I saw him, later, for several days, sitting in a bit of shade looking very sick and trying to recover himself; afterwards he arose and went out -- and the wilderness without a sound took him into its bosom again.

This infuriates me! Who the hell did our white ancestors think they were anyway? Gods?

The story is obviously taking place in a time when the English, French, etal, considered black people to be nothing more than animals.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Observing . . .

Unread post

The descriptions of the people are good.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Page 16

Unread post

Same section, of course . . .

By heavens! there is something after all in the world allowing one man to steal a horse while another must not look at a halter. Steal a horse straight out. Very well. He has done it. Perhaps he can ride. But there is a way of looking at a halter that would provoke the most charitable of saints into a kick.

I liked that 'analogy' . . .
WildCityWoman
Genius

Sect 1 Part 4

Unread post

Page 3

"What a row the brute makes!" said the indefatigable man with the moustaches, appearing near us. "Serve him right. Transgression -- punishment -- bang! Pitiless, pitiless. That's the only way. This will prevent all conflagrations for the future. I was just telling the manager . . ."

Good grief! Just the description of these men with their candles, the bamboo, etc., makes you know what probably started the fire.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Section 1, Part 4

Unread post

Page 17

In the actual version of the book I have, this is the end of what I thought was 'chapter'. The next page is merely marked as being II.

Kurtz has finally arrived . . .

As somebody once said in an old movie - what's so important about this chap? You know - the one where somebody else says 'Managing all right, are you?'

For somebody who said she was ready to send this book back to the library and forget it, that somebody being yours truly, I'm really enjoying the story.

It's Sunday night (Monday morning really) 1:20 am and I'm loathe to quit.

So I'll just read on.

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”