• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

HD- XIII- Rent a video of Apocalypse Now?

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Rent a video of Apocalypse Now?

"Apocalypse Now", film by Francis Ford Coppola, 1979.

Constance wrote: "I have not seen "Apocalypse Now" myself, but if people are interested in discussing it, I'm sure I can pick up a rental copy."

I haven't heard from HD readers about the film yet, I hope you are considering it, I really enjoyed watching it in this context.

I saw the film for the second time yesterday, the first time being in 1980, and frankly I'm impressed.
I remembered only two things from my first viewing: the anti-Vietnam War message, and that apart from that I had been bored and unconvinced.
Other films have been made about Vietnam since, so I did not pay much attention to this yesterday, and concentrated on two things:

1- the visual artistry.

2- The parallels with Heart of Darkness.

If you remember the film, or have watched it again because you were reading HD, what are your thoughts about:

a- the common points:

b- I would not say "the differences", as there are many, but perhaps there are points where Coppola seems to have chosen to break from the HD scenario?

Ophelia

Ophelia
Last edited by Ophelia on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ophelia.
Ibid
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Fans of the ABC show Lost will also find a nice little tie in from last week's episode (titled: Confirmed Dead), where one of the characters who has "gone native" since season two is referred to as Kurtz.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

"Apocalypse Now", film by Francis Ford Coppola, 1979.

Constance wrote: "I have not seen "Apocalypse Now" myself, but if people are interested in discussing it, I'm sure I can pick up a rental copy."

I haven't heard from HD readers about the film yet, I hope you are considering it, I really enjoyed watching it in this context.

I saw the film for the second time yesterday, the first time being in 1980, and frankly I'm impressed.
I remembered only two things from my first viewing: the anti-Vietnam War message, and that apart from that I had been bored and unconvinced.
Other films have been made about Vietnam since, so I did not pay much attention to this yesterday, and concentrated on two things:

1- the visual artistry.

2- The parallels with Heart of Darkness.

If you remember the film, or have watched it again because you were reading HD, what are your thoughts about:

a- the common points:

b- I would not say "the differences", as there are many, but perhaps there are points where Coppola seems to have chosen to break from the HD scenario?

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”