• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 700 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 am

Other Pinker Books

#43: Jan. - Mar. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Other Pinker Books

Unread post

Who here has read any of Pinker's older books? Booktalk discussed The Blank Slate a while ago, before I joined.

I've read four of his book. The Language Instinct was awesome, one of the best books I've every read, with lots of fascinating insights into language. The Blank Slate was the next best, since Pinker had plenty to say about many important philosophical issues. How the Mind Works was less impressive, but still worth reading. Words and Rules focused on linguistic details, like Chapter 2 of Stuff of Though, and was too dry and esoteric for my taste.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

None yet. I have "Blank Slate" but never read it. I will now. I also have "Language Instinct" on my Amazon wish list.

I like his writing. And he is evidently a hockey fan (with his Lafleur references) so he gets extra points for that.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
bradams
No End in Sight

Unread post

I've read Blank Slate, How the Mind Works, Language Instinct and I've listed them in order of my preference.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

I've read How the Mind Works and Language Instinct, a few years ago. I've been looking forward to digging into another one of his!
"All Beings are the Owners of their Deeds, the Heirs to their Deeds."

Return to “The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window Into Human Nature - by Stephen Pinker”