• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Popular fiction.

#42: Dec. - Jan. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Popular fiction.

Unread post

In a review of the novel published in the (London!) Times on May 19, 2007, Joan Smith called the book "popular fiction of the most superior kind."

1- Any comments about this novel as "popular fiction" ?

2- About "superior popular fiction" ?
Ophelia.
Craig
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Being the kind of reader I am, I am not sure that I really have anything to offer; book discussions sometimes make me feel that I should be saying something more "profound". Ha.

It has been a few books since I have read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I still remember the feeling I had as I was reading it. I didn't want to put it down. I would really need to reread it (and I will one day), before I can really add any "intelligent" input to a discussion.

When I read, I usually react more from the heart than the head. I find commenting on symbolism, writing style, editing, etc. really tough, but I can sure remember the "feeling" I had when reading a book. A Thousand Splendid Suns was one of those books that left me feeling that I was given a peek into "a slice of life" in Afganistan. One can only hope that readers realize that this is a great book, and make it a piece of "popular fiction". This book deserved to be read!

It amazed me how Hosseni could take such a "depressing" situation and still make it seem hopeful. Miriam and Laila are the kind of people one would like to know - only under less traumatic circumstances. The abuse they must face is mindboggling, but realistic, and the manner in which they deal with their "lot in life" certainly left me admiring their strength and loyalty (to each other and the children in the novel. The book left me wanting to read more about "every day life" in Afganistan. What a sheltered life I lead!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Craig

Don't underestimate the value of your input. Discussing symbolism and writing style are indeed aspects of a quality book discussion, but so is what you just offered. You shared your feelings and you made me want to pick up the book and start reading. I'd say your post was just what we need here at BookTalk.

Weeks ago I bought a copy of A Thousand Splendid Suns, but have yet to read a single page. I know I will eventually start reading it. Right now I'm focused on reading our non-fiction book selections. I usually stick with non-fiction, but some fiction gets into the mix at times.

You said that you "didn't want to put it down." This is what I love to hear. And hearing this out of someone that doesn't have an agenda is sometimes enough to motivate me to buy and read a particular book. When I read book reviews by newspapers or magazines or literature web sites I take everything I read with a grain of salt. Who knows if the reviewer is completely objective or not? Maybe they are associated with the publisher and/or author and have a strong financial incentive to cast the book in a good light. I'm a skeptic about everything! But when I read an honest appraisal of a book, such as yours above, I give it more weight.

So thank you for posting in this forum and I hope you continue to do so. This book discussion isn't getting any attention here on BookTalk and maybe a few good posts like yours will pull some more readers out of the shadows. :sad:
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
WildCityWoman
Genius

Ahhhh, Chris . . .

Unread post

Glad you're here . . . I wanted to thank you for getting my posting difficulties straightened out.

I've been enjoying discussing this topic this afternoon - we're having that snow storm, as many are, of course, and it was a good way to spend the long afternoon.

Thanks again . . .

Carly 8)

Return to “A Thousand Splendid Suns - by Khaled Hosseini”