• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What is judgment?

#40: Nov. - Dec. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

What is judgment?

Unread post

Judgment is obviously a central concern to the essays we're reading, so as we read and discuss the book, we might do well to consider two questions: What does Arendt mean when she talks about judgment? And what do we mean by judgment?

Even if you're not reading the book, please take a moment to reply to this message and give us your answer to the second question.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

MA: What does Arendt mean when she talks about judgment?
I think she is adressing something more than good sense or reasonable thinking: she is describing what it means to say "this should not have happened" and "you should not have done that". Judgement, for Arendt is qualifying an event as unacceptable and those who participated as responsible. She is also confronting those who witness said event and stay silent and are unwilling to pass judgement on those who committed the deed. Thus, she is passing judgement on those unwilling to judge.

Judgement, for Arendt, is fundamentally a moral act that defines our moral responsibility; and by judging, I think she is saying, we define what it means to be human. And, being human (among other things), means having to judge the deeds of ourselves and others...and denying this process is to deny our humanity.

At least that's what I'm getting so far.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: What is judgment?

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:And what do we mean by judgment?

Even if you're not reading the book, please take a moment to reply to this message and give us your answer to the second question.
Not reading yet. What I mean by judgement is to assess a situation not only as it applies to ones own concerns, but by trying as best as possible to understand the implcations that will come from action or inaction for oneself as well as all others. Trying to actually comprehend all aspects of a situation and only then making a decision on whether it is 'wrong' or 'right' to proceed and then willingly accepting the results of your judgement.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.

Return to “Responsibility and Judgment - by Hannah Arendt”