• In total there are 28 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Literary trivia . . . name that book!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ralphinlaos

Literary trivia . . . name that book!

Unread post

Here's the idea: I give you the names of a couple of characters (or more) from a well-known book, you give me the title of the book, the author, and another character or two. For example, if I say

Pittipat, Prissy and Ms. Merriweather, the correct answer would be

Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell, Rhett and Scarlett

or, if I say

Holden and Phoebe, the correct answer would be

Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger, Sally Hayes

O.K.? Here's the first one:

Herbert, Bonnie, Kenyon and Nancy

Name that book!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I had to Google the answer. I haven't read that book yet Ralph. :laugh:
ralphinlaos

Unread post

President Camacho - I didn't know you could just type in four or five names on Google and it would reveal the answer. I thought about that, but didn't try it out in advance. Damn! How can I make these clues "ungoogleable?" They can't be too obscure . . .

Google is terrific, though - I've been on it half the day trying to find out how to build a swimming hole - you'd be surprised at the number of entries on this subject - far more than I had hoped for. Not exactly rocket science, but I had no idea what to do after I dug the hole.

Now I have to think - a quiz to which the answers can't be Googled???

Thanks, Camacho. What's with the "Welcome to Costco. I love you?" Is that what the greeters say? I've heard of Costco (on television) but have never seen one - we have Tesco (from England) all over Thailand, nothing at all in Laos (not a fast food restauant or supermarket).

Ralph
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You should tell everyone in your community that you found gold in your back yard. Then sell them shovels to dig with. Free labor AND you make money selling shovels!!! :laugh:

hahaha, no they don't say that at Costco... but in the future they will!

You need to see the movie Idiocracy to know what I'm talking about. :D
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Ralph wrote:
Now I have to think - a quiz to which the answers can't be Googled???
Well this in itself is the best quizz you can imagine: how to invent an ungoogleable quizz?

With the literary quizz, I thought you just assumed we were a circle of gentlemen/ gentlefolk and wouldn't google up the answer! :smile:

So I think you can do just that, leave the quizz as it is and when someone has read the book you're referring to they'll be pleased to say so.
Ophelia.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I think my gentlemanliness has been questioned!!! :oldtimer:
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

No, I noticed that you didn't give the answer directly, and only meant to tell Ralph that the quizz could be googled. :smile:
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

This is the difference between 'knowledge' and 'wisdom'.

You can Google for Knowledge.....but wisdom must be learned.

Having said that, I don't know the answer......

Which is why I needed to study Virginia Wolff....'To the Lighthouse ' etc......at a University Extra-mural course.....

I once thought all books were about stories......but then I found that some were about human relationships.....some about morals and ethics....which can be boring......if one is not quite in the mood......

That is why Comedy is a gift.......it can reveal profound wisdom in an amusing manner.......and that is why so many of our greatest comedians have committed suicide....the cowards.....but may GOD BLESS THEM!!!!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:You should tell everyone in your community that you found gold in your back yard. Then sell them shovels to dig with. Free labor AND you make money selling shovels!!! :laugh:

hahaha, no they don't say that at Costco... but in the future they will!

You need to see the movie Idiocracy to know what I'm talking about. :D
Dear PC,
I find you highly amusing and always look forward to reading what you post, but I worry about all the references to Idiocracy. :smile:
Saffron
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

President Commacho, what is with the new avatar you have posted? Not going to call it "over the top"...it seems a little worse than that description to me.
D

Return to “Everything Else”