• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Newbie from Virginia

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Newbie from Virginia

Unread post

I am a female from the Southern part of Virginia who loves to read. I tried finding an in person book club but none wee close to me and then I decided to search online and was amazed (and happy!) when I found your website. The variety is great and there is so much going on and so many different topics and books that I know I'm going to be glad I joined booktalk. I enjoy being outside and canoeing, playing with my golden retriever (Bo), who is mad right now that I'm not petting him with one hand and plucking at the keys, instead I'm using both hands to type.

I read a wide variety of books. I just finished my masters in April so I'm looking forward to reading for pleasure again. I probably read more mysteries/thrillers than anything else, but I read romances, westerns, classics, fiction and historical fiction, a little sci-fi/fantasy (but not too much), and I also enjoy reading books on history and biographies on occasion. My favorite author is probably James Lee Burke. He has an awesome writing style that I really love, but I like classics too including Mark Twain, Hemingway, Dostoesvky (not sure I got the spelling on that one right) and I would have a tough time picking between Shakepeare's Hamlet and Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, both of which I've read several times. That's probably more than you wanted to know, but I'm happy I found this site and look forward to joining in.
AnthonyP
Getting Comfortable

Re: Newbie from Virginia

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk Virginia. I'm new as well - just joined yesterday. Congratulations on completing your masters - what did you do your masters in?

You've listed a lot of great classics. From your list, I really enjoyed reading Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. What a wonderful image:
Do you love the Great Books of the Western Civilization? Let's start a reading group!
writerjohnb
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Welcome. I also joined just yesterday. I'm from VA too and my golden doesn't allow me to type too long without nudging my elbow, either. I though it was just him because he's a rescue and needs a lot of reassurance. See you around the forum.
Author of Necessary Evil - a historical novel about the biggest secret of WW2
http://www.johnbushore.com
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello and welcome Virginia!
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thanks Suzanne, WriterJohn and Anthony for the welcome.

I got my masters in Risk Management and Insurance. It sounds boring I know, but it is really interesting and I enjoy insurance. I currently work as an insurance underwriter, underwriting medical facilities and the associated physicians. I work on the Excess & Surplus lines side of the market so each day is different and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff you see. I liked Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, but I think I liked The Brothers Karamazov a little better.

My golden loves attention. We adopted him when he as a year old and he is the first golden that I've had (my husband had a golden growing up) and I'm constantly surprised at how much time he wants to spend with us. I always had labs before and they wanted attention and wanted to play, but its no comparison to Bo. If he could go everywhere with us and sit in our lap despite the 75 pounds that he weighs, he would. Look forward to getting to know everyone and discussing good books!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :-)

Return to “Everything Else”