• In total there are 29 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Lucy Goes to the Jungle

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Lucy Goes to the Jungle

Unread post

I can't sleep so I thought I'd write a children's story.

Lucy was a chimpanzee that was raised in a laboratory. She was taught many different skills including sign language. The same scientists never stayed long, though, and new scientists would constantly replace the ones Lucy was just getting used to.

After many years, Lucy grew accustomed to laboratory life and became quite fond of watching t.v., smoking, and mixing her own alcoholic beverages in the evening before bed. She changed the channels if she didn't like a particular show and knew how to ask for certain types of snacks when she was hungry.

Lucy loved to interact with the scientists and participated in many experiments which she also enjoyed. She liked attempting to solve all the little puzzles they created for her.

One day, the scientists decided to 'free' Lucy back into the wild. Lucy got her first car ride and was released back into the jungle.

Curious to find out how Lucy was adapting, a couple scientists went back to the jungle to visit her. What they found was a hysterical, starved, Lucy that had lost all her hair and was signing unintelligibly and erratically.

Scared for their lives, one of the scientists shot Lucy in the chest.

As she lay dying, one of the scientists recalled an experiment in which Lucy was given cards with pictures of people and animals on them. Lucy put the animal pictures in one pile and human pictures in another. A curious thing happened when Lucy came to a card with her picture on it. She actually put it in the human pile. Remembering this, the scientist related the humorous accident to the other scientist.

On hearing this, the other scientist looked confused, and using his large brain, summoned the powers of Jesus Christ.

Summoned, Jesus came down on his platinum cloud paid for by friends like you.

"Lucy," said the son of the heavens and whatnot, "your ape soul cannot come into heaven as you are not human. Your soul will go to jungle-heaven."

Lucy made to get up but only managed to lift her right hand. Right before she died she let out a scream so piercingly human that it made one of the scientists guffaw and the other to look on in disgust.

"Silly monkey," said one scientist.
"ape," said the other.
"whatever," said Jesus.

The End.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Lucy Goes to the Jungle

Unread post

Well done Camacho. Good story. You will make children think about whether animals have souls.

A chimp raised as a human becomes like a human. We share 98% of our DNA with chimps, and only separated from them genetically in the last ten million years.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Lucy Goes to the Jungle

Unread post

Thanks. It's a work in progress. Most all of the story is true and a good portion of it is borrowed from a non-fiction book. I wanted Lucy to be more human than beast and more human than the other characters.

"When ACGT sequences that are mainly active genes are examined, a 99.6% identity is found between human and chimp. At the level of the working genes, only about .4% of the DNA of humans is different from the DNA of chimps."

Return to “Everything Else”