• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 5: Public Funding of Religious Schools

#37: April - June 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 5: Public Funding of Religious Schools

Unread post

Chapter 5: Public Funding of Religious SchoolsPlease use this thread for posting about Chapter 5: Public Funding of Religious Schools. Or, if you prefer, create your own threads. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 4/12/07 11:17 am
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Ch. 5: Public Funding of Religious Schools

Unread post

I had intended to read some cases to get this chapter started, but I had my last wisdom tooth pulled last night and haven't been able to concentrate. (I hope my lack of concentration is not due to my being wisdomless. )Anyway, I am ill-prepared to make any kind of complete argument but I figured I would get the ball rolling. The reason I made such a fuss about Fourteenth Amendment incorporation was largely because of this chapter. Incorporation occurred without ceremony, without justification and, most importantly, without explanation; it just happened. George, earlier, made a salient point that it is appropriate that citizens from various states, as far as the First Amendment is concerned, are equally protected. And for the most part, I concur.But for some reason, incorporation with regard to the states' school systems doesn't sit well with me. In fact, I think federal involvement in state funds directed at education is unwise, and is often reflected in SCOTUS's demonstrated reluctance to get involved in local district decisions. States make many decisions regarding their educational systems, and these decisions are usually independent of federal involvement. That is why state to state, even district to district, school systems can radically vary. It is not unusual for new parents to choose residences based on the school systems offered. Townships and states make individual choices (through the polls) on how much they wish to spend to support those schools. And districts either flourish or suffer because of those voting choices. For a federal court to remove from the states the power to decide how and where they spend their tax dollars, particularly in many of the gray area cases, seems to me to be an egregious overstepping of federal power. And trust me, I would not have been an anti-Federalist.As I said I have to read the caselaw to decide if my gut instinct can be legally and constitutionally supported. And I am not claiming that the precedent that has been set can be or should be reversed. I think it is good that public monies are not funneled to religious schools. But for those who don't agree, I think perhaps their beef may be justified
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I'm annoyed that government funds go to parochial schools. From this non-lawyer's perspective, that government support of religion violates the First Amendment. As a consequence, more students are exposed to religious ideas and the churches can dedicate other funds to religious purposes. Since a vast majority of private schools in the US are Catholic, school vouchers and other programs assisting private schools are concentrated on particular religious beliefs.Irishrosem, I don't understand the distinction you're implying between school policies and other state & local government issues. Why wouldn't the 1st and 14th amendments apply?When reading about these close Supreme Court decisions, it's important to remember that the presence of Roberts and Alito make the Court more conservative now than when the book was written. The views of O'Connor, which Haiman quotes at length, are less relevant.On page 83, does the "one-subject rule" refer to the restriction that a law should only cover one subject?
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I don't have my book on me right now. When I read the quote you're referring to, I'll answer your question, if I can.Julian, I didn't think I was going to get any resistance to my above statements. I'm glad you jumped in. I agree that government money to private schools violates the First Amendment. And with incorporation of the Fourteenth Amendment the violation would hold for states as well as Congress. I just don't necessarily think that the federal government should be in the business of making these decisions for states.I see public education as predominantly and almost wholly a state responsibility. Fiscally and logistically it is the state's responsibility to provide free public education. Where the responsibility lies, the power should also lie. It often becomes a problem when power and responsibility become skewed, where one entity holds the power, while the other entity holds the responsibility. The exercise of such power by the federal government on the states is warranted where civil rights are at issue. But I'm not sure that utilizing tax dollars to help support the education of the state's children at private schools, even sectarian private schools, equates to an egregious breach of civil rights, if a state decides to do so. And likewise, if a state decides its taxes should not be used to support private schools, the federal courts should, again, have no say. I know a position like this would therefore hold for all federal involvement in all states' choices to include religion in their government. But for some reason the argument seems to stand on more solid ground for me when talking about state schools. (And, yes, I know that's not reasonable.) Either way, I think anti-incorporationists have a legitimate gripe with Fourteenth Amendment incorporation of establishment (and therefore free exercise), if they so choose. It's never been adequately explained or justified, as far as I can see. And one result is federal regulation in one of the very institutions where there should be no such regulation, state-provided public education.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

While it's certainly true that public education is chiefly a state responsibility, I don't think that means we can ignore the connection between funding decisions and the establishment clause. If it is wrong for a school district to impose religion by mandating the recitation of a prayer at the beginning of the school day, it also ought to be wrong for a school district to impose religion by diverting taxpayers' dollars to religious institutions. So I don't think anti-incorporationists have a stronger argument for state funding of religious schools than they have for state requirements for religious exercises. I also think, although it's beyond the scope of this discussion, it's bad policy for public institutions to divert public money to private institutions as a general principle. Tax dollars should go to public institutions, not private ones. In my view, privatizing the public school system will have disastrous consequences. George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Garicker: So I don't think anti-incorporationists have a stronger argument for state funding of religious schools than they have for state requirements for religious exercises. No I didn't mean to argue that. Only, the regulation of state taxes by the federal government is a more egregious overreaching of federal power in the context of public education. Or so it seems to me. If an anti-incoporationist wished to argue that incorporation should not necessarily apply to the religion clauses of the First Amendment, I think their most powerful argument would be in the federal regulation of state-raised tax dollars for public schools.garicker: In my view, privatizing the public school system will have disastrous consequences.I agree. And so you and I could vote in our states against state subsidies for private schools, and against politicians who support those subsidies. There are very few government institutions that I feel should be free of the overarching reach of the federal government, education is one such institution. One of the states' few remaining powers is in how they choose to educate their children; for me, it should have remained a state decision. Incorporation, without explanation or justification, removed much of that financial decision from the states
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Rose: No I didn't mean to argue that. Only, the regulation of state taxes by the federal government is a more egregious overreaching of federal power in the context of public education. Or so it seems to me. If an anti-incoporationist wished to argue that incorporation should not necessarily apply to the religion clauses of the First Amendment, I think their most powerful argument would be in the federal regulation of state-raised tax dollars for public schools.Would you apply the same rationale to the desegregation of schools?My point is that, although I agree in principle about state and local control of education, I don't see that as an impediment to applying fundamental protections. There's no good reason to allow for incorporation of other protections but not allow it for the religion clauses. States generally should have the right to spend their educational dollars as they see fit. But they should not have the right to spend those dollars to benefit religious institutions.Suppose a state school system decided to spend its tax dollars to place monuments of the 10 Commandments on each school campus under their jurisdiction. The argument, I'm sure, would be that this is not a religious exercise but is intended for the moral instruction of school children and as a recognition of our historical heritage. If I'm reading you correctly, the state's right to spend its educational tax dollars as it sees fit would trump the Bill of Rights. I don't think that's your intention, but it seems implicit in your argument. The other danger I see in this line of reasoning is that once you open that door, there will be a flood of efforts at the state and local level to find other ways to entangle public education with religion. Unfortunately, these days the Supreme Court seems to be the last place that recognizes the wall of separation at all, and even there, the recognitions seems to be fading.This isn't a slippery slope. It's a cliff. At least, that's my view of it.George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

garicker: Would you apply the same rationale to the desegregation of schools?Absolutely not. Brown v. Board of Education appealed directly to the Fourteenth Amendment. I don't have a problem with the Fourteenth Amendment or the protections to the individual it provides. I am solely talking about the unexplained, and perhaps unquestioned, incorporation of the Fourteenth Amendment into the Bill of Rights
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

JtA: On page 83, does the "one-subject rule" refer to the restriction that a law should only cover one subject?Yes,
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I don't have strong opinions about state vs. federal power or about legal philosophies. The real-world consequences of judicial decisions matter a lot more to me. The only exceptions occur when judges disregard the law, or are inconsistent with their past decisions, to justify an outcome they want to reach.For that matter, arguments about state rights remind me of Southern racists claiming that the US government couldn't challenge laws discriminating against blacks. Not that I'm accusing anyone here of holding such views, but that's my association (solely from reading history, since I'm not that old).

Return to “Religious Expression and the American Constitution - by Franklyn S. Haiman”