• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Who's reading?

#37: April - June 2007 (Non-Fiction)
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Who's reading?

Unread post

Who plans to read the book and join the discussion?I ordered both of this quarter's books and they arrived today. I'll probably end up reading both of them, though work is keeping me busy.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Who's reading?

Unread post

I'm in, obviously. I really think this conversation can be interesting, so let's hop to it people. BTW, when I emailed Dr. Haiman, he replied immediately. I think that's a good sign if we try to get him to do an author chat with us. Good activity might also pique his interest.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I stopped by Barnes & Nobles and got my copy!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I want to read this first, but "Deep Economy" is due back to the library in a week...and I am hoping I get at least one renewal.Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I'm planning to read, but I'm a wee bit destitute at the moment, and it's currently checked out of the library, so it may be next month before I can secure a copy.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive at the Library...by the way, have you ever considered the precious value of the Library in nurturing, protecting and furthering our First Ammendment rights?
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I'm in. Just got back from vacation, and the book was waiting in the mail. I should read it over the weekend. DH, yes, librarians are often the unsung heroes (or heroines as the case may be) in defending and protecting our First Amendment freedoms. Especially those related to freedom of expression. Public libraries are always under pressure to pull books that offend someone's sensibilities. Most of the time, though not always, they staunchly refuse. George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

D.H.: ...have you ever considered the precious value of the Library in nurturing, protecting and furthering our First Ammendment rights?Yes, absolutely. As Garicker states, libraries are usually front and center in the censorship debate. Libraries were also very resistant to post-9-11/Homeland Security attempts to screen readers' book selections. I particularly appreciate that free public libraries make books available to all people, even the underprivileged. (Some libraries even have lending and/or reading programs for people without addresses.) I'm fortunate that my local public library has excellent free lecture series, and a great outreach program. In fact, this weekend the library, along with sponsors, is hosting the Philadelphia Book Festival. Patti Smith will be performing and I can't be there. Drat!Mad: ...it's currently checked out of the library, so it may be next month before I can secure a copy.D.H.: I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive at the Library...Mad and D.H., I think you'll find you can participate somewhat, even before you receive the text. For instance, I'm curious to learn what you both think about incorporating the Fourteenth Amendment with the First Amendment, particularly, obviously, free expression and the establishment clause. I introduced this topic in the "Before you begin reading" thread. This may seem like a pointless conversation as establishment, as applied to the state, is now well-established law, but I still think it's an interesting discussion. I also think people who support (not assuming that either of you do) religion and state intermingling would be relatively incensed to learn how the limitations were finally adopted.Garicker: Just got back from vacation,Welcome home! Hope you had a great vacation. So what was it like meeting the infamous Chris O'Connor?...I should read it over the weekend.I can't wait to jump into discussion with you.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Mad and D.H., I think you'll find you can participate somewhat, even before you receive the text. For instance, I'm curious to learn what you both think about incorporating the Fourteenth Amendment with the First Amendment, particularly, obviously, free expression and the establishment clause.I think I'm going to need a refresher before I really start commenting. It's been such a long time since I really looked at either the Constitution or the Bill of Rights that I'm feeling adrift even in your "Before you start reading" thread.
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Then the U.S. Constitution is probably the best place to start, even before you read the book. BTW, if I write something that needs explaining let me know. It's kind of difficult for me to sort out in my brain what is public knowledge regarding Constitution/law and what is just random stuff that I've picked up along the way. Because the people on this site are intelligent, I give the benefit of the doubt and only explain the terms I know are jargon.

Return to “Religious Expression and the American Constitution - by Franklyn S. Haiman”