• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

So what do you think?

#4: Sept. - Oct. 2002 (Non-Fiction)
AckItsJamie

So what do you think?

Unread post

Sorry I haven't been on much, things are a bit hectic right now IRL. I feel kind of bad, because this month's book is the one that I suggested, and I'm not even here to discuss it...Anyway, what do you all think? This is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. Diamond has an amazing ability to gather information from SO many different scientific fields, and combine them into a coherent theory which, IMO, is a great explanation for the way that human societies evolved the way they did.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: So what do you think?

Unread post

Jamie:As I've said I'm really far behind, but today I spent quite a few hours reading. This book has my mind racing and I don't want to do anything else but keep reading. Unfortunately, I have othet plans for the next 10 hours today. I'll read later on tonight.Right now I'm only on page 114 starting Chapter 7. Just like in "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," I am utterly disgusted at mans inhumanity to man. The story about how Pizarro tricked and then massacred possibly 7000 of Atahuallpa's people is sickening. (Ch. 3) I'm going to read this book several time I think. I really hope most of you are reading this book. This forum should last much longer than the end of September. I'm not sure I'll even be finished by our Oct. 3rd chat, and I'm definitely planning to finish this monster. It will be nice to have people to discuss it with over the next few months.Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:41 pm
Liliel the druid

Unread post

I'm in chapter 5 now. I really find this interesting. Parts of the book are a bit dry, but I'm learning a lot. This book presents an entirely different perspective of the history of humans and societies than what I've always thought.Cheryl
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

So is anyone else still reading this book? Steve, did you get your copy? Cheryl Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:42 pm
stevepainter

Unread post

Yep, I've got it. I'm on Chapter 2. Interesting so far...By the way, Cheryl, did you get the email I sent you about a month ago?
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Steve,Good! I'm glad you got the book. I read some more last night. There was interesting information about carbon 14 dating. I'm enjoying this book so far.I did get your email message. I typed up a long reply to you a few days after you sent it but before I sent the message my computer locked up and I lost the whole thing. I was so irritated. I'm sorry. I should have at least sent a short message acknowledging your message. I've been so busy with work. This schedule is killing me. I'll write soon.Cheryl Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:42 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

As of October 11, 2002 I am just finishing Chapter 10. Chapters 7 and 8 had me yawning, but 9 and 10 have been excellent. I'm hoping to finish the book this week and start some discussions here.Steve, where are you in the book now? We will have a chat session Thursday November 7th to discuss the book. We do a chat every Thursday, but this one will be the conclusion to the discussions of this book. I hope you can make it. (The board will remain open for board discussions...I am referring to it being the last scheduled chat for this book)Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:42 pm
stevepainter

Unread post

I know I'm seriously lagging behind you guys, but reading the account of Pizarro's conquests written by some of the participants has disturbed me. Not simply because of the arrogance and moral self justification of the acts, but because it seems so familiar.Our society is beginning to frighten me a bit. Too many in high ranking positions seem to feel that they are in the same position as Pizarro. The attitude is the same - God has given them the power over these non-believers, so obviously they are righteous in any action against them.Does it disturb anyone the the author of the "Left Behind" series of books is a major player in the current administration's policy making?(Wow. Typos. Was I asleep yesterday or something?) Edited by: stevepainter at: 10/16/02 7:59:16 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Steve:I'll post a more detailed response to your post later, but I was completely disturbed after reading that Chapter too. There was a sense of pride in the slaughtering that I just can't understand.And are you talking about John Edwards?Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:43 pm

Return to “Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - by Jared Diamond”