• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Playing catch up

#5: Nov. - Dec. 2002 (Non-Fiction)
GregFl

Playing catch up

Unread post

I just got "The Lucifer Principle" on Friday and am about a third of the way thru it.My first impression was very positive for style and content and I could not put it down. Right now at this point he seems mired down a bit in throwing anecedotal history at the reader to support his theories.This theory of his itself is quite interesting, that nature itself is on its own journey and that individuals themselves are expendable in natures' quest to evolve and survive.The other theory, that evil is an invention of nature to help further its own quest is interesting as well. I haven't formulated an opinion yet and hope to finish the book by the end of the week.HOWEVER, when he claims that nature is on a quest, doesn't he assign an intellect to nature? If not, what is the source of the direction of nature?I have always tended to think that natural selection was a biological function of need and individual survival , not a group dynamic. He tends to strongly contradict this thought.More reading........."Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Playing catch up

Unread post

GregFlQuote:HOWEVER, when he claims that nature is on a quest, doesn't he assign an intellect to nature? If not, what is the source of the direction of nature?this is exactly the problem I have with the whole enterprise, said better than I have been able to say itQuote:"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho MarxThis is on my mouse pad, courtesy of amazon.com.
GregFl

god/nature

Unread post

Yes.To me, and I will put a qualifier right here because I am not even half way thru the book, when someone takes all of these attributes formerly assigned to god and assigns them to nature and then claims mother nature is on its own survival quest, then I tend to think they are replacing God with Nature. Sort of the old "god is nature" argument but repackaged by Mr. Bloom.Not believing in God, I have a hard time replacing nature with the concept which Mr. Bloom seems to have done.I have not been compelled to jump on his bandwagon yet, but there is always the second half of the book. In any event, I am enjoying the read. He is a good writer.

Return to “The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History - by Howard Bloom”