• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Chat transcript - Howard Bloom chat Jan. 2, 2003

#5: Nov. - Dec. 2002 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Chat transcript - Howard Bloom chat Jan. 2, 2003

Unread post

This is the complete chat transcript from our 2.5 hr. chat with author and scientist Howard Bloom.Feel free to posts comments and discuss right in this thread.connected: ezChat version 0.49Chris OConnor:: Hey MichaelMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi chrisChris OConnor:: HowdyChris OConnor:: So what is your estimate? How many do you think will show up?Chris OConnor:: I am hoping for at least 15 totalMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: dunnoquibbit joinedChris OConnor:: It sure would be a bummer if Howard Bloom didn't come Chris OConnor:: Hello Quibbit MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi quibbitChris OConnor:: Oh no....Quibbit is a spy and cannot talk to us MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: maybe quibbit is Howardquibbit:: Hello.Chris OConnor:: Nah, Howard said he registered as "HowBloom"Quibbit:: I'm Howard's assistant.Chris OConnor:: Hello QuibbitQuibbit:: My name is Stephen.Chris OConnor:: And how did you hear about this chat Quibbit?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi StephenChris OConnor:: welcome StephenQuibbit:: Howard should be here in just a few minutesChris OConnor:: Ahh - is this Stephen is assistant?Quibbit:: yeah..Chris OConnor:: Yes, we talked on the phone. Good to "see" you. You are taller than I expected.Quibbit:: Just wanted to be around at least the first few minutes to make sure everything is going okay.Chris OConnor:: I don't blame you.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: you're the guy who steps in if the group tries to lynch Howard?Chris OConnor:: Does Howard type about average speed?Chris OConnor:: Michael - that ruins our planMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: oh yeah, I wasn't supposed to tell!MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: sorry, sorryChris OConnor:: You are forgivenMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: thanksQuibbit:: I think so, maybe a bit faster if he's really going. Chris OConnor:: I'm good like thatMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that means I'm in the "in group'Chris OConnor:: Stephen - well, we have no real format. I think Howard has enough formal engagements. I hope this is enjoyable for him.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: oh no...William Shatner is going do another album Quibbit:: More people likely to show up at the last few minutes?xilog joinedQuibbit:: Yeah, it should be fun for him.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi xilogxilog:: hi thereChris OConnor:: Stephen - Yes, there should be many more people coming over the next 15 minutesChris OConnor:: Hey Xilog!Chris OConnor:: MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "A brutality that speaks to us through the animals in our brain" is a nice lineMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Howard should make poetry out of some of his lines in LuciferChris OConnor:: Yes, Howard is a metaphorical masterChris OConnor:: That is his marketing genius shining throughQuibbit:: I think that he has something like that in the works. I think actually there's been some talk of a musical adaptation.Chris OConnor:: Stephen - are you serious?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Superorganisticexpialidocious!MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: could be a brutal remake of mary poppinsChris OConnor:: LOLChris OConnor:: Ok, no more egg nog for you MichaelQuibbit:: Yeah.. Actually.. I'll see if I can give you the link to an mp3 someone did of a show he was in.Quibbit:: I think he's getting on now.Bugteach joinedChris OConnor:: Thanks StephenChris OConnor:: Hello Bugteach MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi bugteachBugteach:: hello roomChris OConnor:: Let me guess - you are a biology teacher?Chris OConnor:: Stephen - Howard doesn't sing does he?Bugteach:: top of the evening to you allChris OConnor:: and to you too BugChris OConnor:: Where are you from? ...and how did you hear about this chat?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: sings "bloody bloody genes, playing bloody scenes.."Chris OConnor:: Is that your own song Michael - it is lovelyBugteach:: Howard informed me by way of chrisMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: just made it upChris OConnor:: I would love to hear about all of Howard's experiences with the music industry too - but no time for that tonightChris OConnor:: Bug - Ahh - so you got my email I imagineBugteach:: yepChris OConnor:: Michael - you are quite skilledMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I wanna hear about where Michael Jackson fits into the superorganismstevepainter joinedMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi SteveChris OConnor:: Steve!Chris OConnor:: stevepainter:: heyChris OConnor:: Good to see yastevepainter:: I just said to my wife that Chris might be freaking if I don't sign in soonChris OConnor:: Bug - where are you at though? Chris OConnor:: Steve - good pointBugteach:: Gary IndianaChris OConnor:: Bug - Ahh well good to have you with us tonight.stevepainter:: oh, that makes me think of The Music ManMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "The slightest slip from the true path, they feel, can send Satan's minions writing through every vein of their body."Bugteach:: Michael Jackson's hatching pointBugteach:: thanks for the inviteMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: writhinghowbloom joinedMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: hi Howard!howbloom:: hiJohnny Neuron joinedmoose1567 joinedhowbloom:: glad to see youChris OConnor:: Howard! Welcome howbloom:: aha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!stevepainter:: hello allmoose1567:: hi roomChris OConnor:: Hey Moose - and Johnnyhowbloom:: chris, thanks for having meJeremy1952 joinedChris OConnor:: Howard - it is our pleasurehowbloom:: Steve, moose, JohnnyJohnny Neuron:: Hello everyone...and especially Mr. Bloom!Chris OConnor:: And there is Jeremymoose1567:: Mr. bloomhowbloom:: it's good to meet you and Jeremy tooChris OConnor:: So everyone hangs outside the front door waiting for the last minute I seeJeremy1952:: Hi Howard, thank you !howbloom:: any interesting things you've been discussing?Bugteach:: hello Howard thanks for inviting meJeremy1952:: I was fiddling with the colorshowbloom:: any interesting questions?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'm interested in your thoughts on the current rash of middle beastlinesshowbloom:: my son Walter says this chat process is coolhowbloom:: oi veyJeremy1952:: Middle beastliness? What does that mean?howbloom:: ok, what is your opinion of what's going on in the middle easthowbloom:: ?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the Middle BeastMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: i.e. IraqChris OConnor:: yes, I am interested in the Middle east situation too and I was intrigued by your views on the "barbaric" nature of Islamhowbloom:: why did we pick Iraq as a target?Chris OConnor:: My opinion is you hit the nail on the headMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I was reminded of Lucifer when the outbreak of patriotism happened after 911Chris OConnor:: hmmmhowbloom:: militant Islam has put as at the center of its sightshowbloom:: its gun sightsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: got the feeling America was becoming a militant organism howbloom:: it's targeted us as an enemyChris OConnor:: I am personally concerned that our choosing Iraq has too much to do with Bush Jr. making up for his fathers mistakeshowbloom:: war is built into our biologyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I worry about Bush's use of religious language..."evil" etcChris OConnor:: I totally see thathowbloom:: it's been with us for 3.5 billion yearsstevepainter:: I don't know, I thought that Christianity among others was just as barbaric - economic prosperity and societal development have just progressed faster for ushowbloom:: so when we're attacked by others who follow our common instinctual heritagehowbloom:: our military instincts are arousedJeremy1952:: Perhaps. But biology teaches me that cooperation is ultimately more powerful than competitionMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is there any force in biology to compensate for our need to destroy? Or will the world just fall apart as WMD become available to small groups?Chris OConnor:: Howard - that was the most impressive concept - war, hatred, violence - all part of our struggle to existmoose1567:: we are targeted because of our openness of mind and freedom of religionshowbloom:: me too, re cooperation outweigh competitionMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think Islamic groups also project repressed sexuality onto ushowbloom:: the western world, western civilizationstevepainter:: definitely- cooperation helps groups surviveJeremy1952:: You're familiar with Axelrod? His example of WWII soldiers refusing to hurt one another?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: they feel guilty and attack us for representing their guilthowbloom:: has purged itself of violence more successfully than any previous system of human social integrationChris OConnor:: Moose - I would think that is a part of ithowbloom:: who feels guilty?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Muslims re: sexualityChris OConnor:: Not IMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: America is seen as sexually expressiveJeremy1952:: Muslims feeling guilty about their own denied sexuality. howbloom:: Muslims feel guilty about sexuality:howbloom:: yes, the west is despised for its sexualityhowbloom:: for its depravityMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the psychohistory guys talk a lot about thatChris OConnor:: yes, I read "The Arab Mind" which covered that issuehowbloom:: for having no mannersJeremy1952:: Of course we go a few rounds on that too (USAians, not necessarily all westerners)howbloom:: no civilizationhowbloom:: no proprietyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: are you familiar with Lloyd's psychohistory list, Howard?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we really don't have a lot of mannershowbloom:: for harboring fornication and homosexualitystevepainter:: we seem to have a split personality in regards to sexualityChris OConnor:: How so Steve?howbloom:: I'm having trouble reading and writing at the same timeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'd like to see more research on parallels between Islamic and Christian fundamentalistshowbloom:: how do we simplify the dialogChris OConnor:: Howard - take your timeBugteach:: are the present terrorist attacks a direct result of some infringement of the rats mimihowbloom:: ok ,let's concentrate on Christian fundamentalism and Islamic fundamentalism, ok?Chris OConnor:: We will all slow downMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: okChris OConnor:: Ok, sounds like a plan HowardJeremy1952:: The usual technique in "chat" is to selectively ignore; I guess that's a ltitle harder for an invited guest, though!howbloom:: these are two areas I've researchedhowbloom:: and have spent 20 years fighting personallyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: all the Christians seem excited about Armageddon latelystevepainter:: on the one hand we harbor a Victorian idea of what proper behavior is, but on the other we sell sex in every wayhowbloom:: yes, the rapturehowbloom:: but here's the bottom linehowbloom:: Christian fundamentalism killed over 180 people in Oklahoma cityJeremy1952:: True...howbloom:: one doctor in my hometown, Buffalo, NYhowbloom:: and has planted several bombshowbloom:: at abortion clinicsChris OConnor:: yes, very truehowbloom:: it's dangerous and filled with hatehowbloom:: and its promoted absurd forms of censorshipJeremy1952:: So; are the fundamentalists really a different "thing" than the rest of the religion?Chris OConnor:: I believe all religions to be dangeroushowbloom:: getting rid of Harry Potter for being satanichowbloom:: yesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think so Jeremy, I think they're a distinct subculturehowbloom:: fundamentalists coherestevepainter:: religious fundamentalism of every stripe can be barbaric and dangeroushowbloom:: more strongly than othershowbloom:: they cohere around hatredhowbloom:: despising evilJeremy1952:: But doesn't any religion have the potential to become more dangerous? Or less?howbloom:: and fighting igstevepainter:: it's fear really I thinkhowbloom:: fighting is a great bonding mechanismMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: any group of humans, JeremyChris OConnor:: I was not aware of the hatred preaches in the Koran, but our Bible is not much betterhowbloom:: do you rememberstevepainter:: the hatred that isJohnny Neuron:: I definitely feel there is a rise in Christian fundamentalism here in the US; take the "Left Behind" series ie.Chris OConnor:: How so Howard?howbloom:: back in the days of Marxism vs. capitalismhowbloom:: how the revolutionaries always called forJeremy1952:: Hmmm... well, but groups of humans have the potential for being dealt with rationally. We have goals thathowbloom:: unity, fraternity, solidarity?Jeremy1952:: can turn in to mutual goals. Religions, on the other hand, seem inherently self serving;Chris OConnor:: Yes Howardhowbloom:: for camaraderieMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: probably has a lot to do with early experiences with authority tooNaddiaAoC joinedhowbloom:: all these are bonding termshowbloom:: people need desperately to bondhowbloom:: deeply with other human beingsJeremy1952:: death dealing if that spreads the meme, peace dealing if that works todaymoose1567:: Hi Nadia!!!MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: do you think it's also a need to purge one's own group of dissonance? guilt, shame etc?howbloom:: fundamentalism uses a primary bonding mechanismJeremy1952:: Hey NadiaChris OConnor:: Howard - very truehowbloom:: yes to dissonance guilt and shameNaddiaAoC:: Hi everyone!howbloom:: they're part of the brewMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: fundamentalists seem to use a lot of military metaphorshowbloom:: i was just sitting with an Islamic friendJeremy1952:: Do you see it, Howard, as a technique being used by fundamentalists, or is it morehowbloom:: who wondered why his community in Brooklynhowbloom:: is gung ho for holy warhowbloom:: for the idea Jeremy1952:: an evolution, selection, within the meme of fundamentalism?howbloom:: that death is more important to usChris OConnor:: Howard - individual humans are somewhat predictable, but it is when large groups act as one that we seem to experience horrific resultshowbloom:: than life is to youhowbloom:: this is an idea that's taking off MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is death some kind of ecstatic union?howbloom:: in an Islamic community of middle and upper middlehowbloom:: class professionalshowbloom:: doctorshowbloom:: dentistshowbloom:: psychiatristshowbloom:: here in BrooklynJohnny Neuron:: Mr. Bloom, I am a former fundamentalist (former Jehovah's Witness) and I agree that most fundamentalists have more in common with other opposing fundamentalists than say, liberal religionists. It seems that social cohesion is more important than doctrine or dogma.howbloom:: militant Islam has a horrible track record for deliveryhowbloom:: it oppresses the poor horriblystevepainter:: really? I didn't know the more educated were in on the idea of jihad alsohowbloom:: by making themhowbloom:: far poorerhowbloom:: than ever beforeJeremy1952:: One of the things I learned from your book, though, is that delivering on promises isn't all that importantJeremy1952:: to the success of a culthowbloom:: look at Egypthowbloom:: you're righthowbloom:: you hit the pointhowbloom:: let me tell youhowbloom:: about Egypt, ok?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: you can always blame the enemy for your own failure to deliverhowbloom:: in 1951Chris OConnor:: Good point Jeremyhowbloom:: Egypt had the same standard of livinghowbloom:: as south Koreahowbloom:: today the average Koreanhowbloom:: makes 20 times as muchhowbloom:: per yearChris OConnor:: wowhowbloom:: as the average Egyptianhowbloom:: and in the last howbloom:: 20 yearshowbloom:: the Egyptian standard of livinghowbloom:: and that in allhowbloom:: the Arab countrieshowbloom:: has deteriorated dramaticallyhowbloom:: its plungedhowbloom:: to the levelhowbloom:: of sub Saharan Africahowbloom:: which has Chris OConnor:: As the result of what? - what is fueling their demise?howbloom:: the lowest standard of livingJeremy1952:: Well, is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Didn't you say that it is success that leads to warlike behavior?howbloom:: anywhere in the worldstevepainter:: so are the despotic-style rulers the cause or the effect?howbloom:: it's a result of militaryhowbloom:: fetishChris OConnor:: Ahhhowbloom:: weapon hungerhowbloom:: killing lusthowbloom:: hate frenzyhowbloom:: righteous anger stokingmoose1567:: the new world order?Jeremy1952:: aha. Yea, that makes sense. Especially in light of what North Korea is doinghowbloom:: in other wordshowbloom:: it's a result of druggingMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I see the US having some problems, states are running out of money and we're diverting social funds into military ventures howbloom:: the masses not with an opioidhowbloom:: but with a steroidhowbloom:: we can get into the states laterhowbloom:: billions of dollarsstevepainter:: promise them power rather than a prosperous future?Chris OConnor:: explain this steroid concepthowbloom:: have gone through Arab handshowbloom:: billions ofhowbloom:: oil dollarshowbloom:: billions of dollars in aidhowbloom:: and all that moneyTimothy Schoonover joinedhowbloom:: has gone for just one thingmoose1567:: hi Timhowbloom:: prideChris OConnor:: Hey Tim - pull up a chairhowbloom:: for couragehowbloom:: for heroismhowbloom:: for victoryTimothy Schoonover:: argh...I'm late?howbloom:: which means for weaponshowbloom:: for killinghowbloom:: putting all your moneyNaddiaAoC:: hi TimChris OConnor:: Howard - makes so much sensehowbloom:: into weaponry produceshowbloom:: povertyhowbloom:: and yet the Arabshowbloom:: and their fellow Moslemshowbloom:: are more determinedhowbloom:: than ever MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is there a sexual tension between being "manly" and being "weak" involved here?Chris OConnor:: Howard - but in Lucifer you stress the need to always be at the ready - against the "barbarians"howbloom:: to spread their message globallyhowbloom:: why?howbloom:: because anger bondshowbloom:: righteousness bondshowbloom:: fury bonds howbloom:: righteous indignation bondshowbloom:: and humans live howbloom:: on the oxygen of attentionhowbloom:: they live in a sea of bonds or Chris OConnor:: so true...anger and hatred bond - we need enemies to vent our hatred towardshowbloom:: isolationhowbloom:: isolation killsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: does it also wash away the feeling of contamination?howbloom:: bonding brings lifehowbloom:: yeshowbloom:: the Arabs and nonhowbloom:: Arab Moslems know exactlystevepainter:: that would explain why isolationism never worksstevepainter:: in the long runhowbloom:: where all the sinhowbloom:: n the world ishowbloom:: it is herehowbloom:: in the westhowbloom:: particularly in the ushowbloom:: so the ultimate goal ofhowbloom:: an Osama would behowbloom:: something like thishowbloom:: to get his hands on Pakistan's nukesChris OConnor:: yeshowbloom:: on Pakistan's next generation stealth subshowbloom:: on Pakistan's midhowbloom:: range ballistic missileshowbloom:: which fit snuglyhowbloom:: into the forward portion of thehowbloom:: submarineshowbloom:: missile delivering subshowbloom:: to set one of Pakistan'smoose1567:: scaryhowbloom:: three subs on a pathhowbloom:: to North America'showbloom:: Atlantic coastJeremy1952:: So , do we need a proper enemy to bond us together? Are we making a mistake not wallowing in hatred of Muslims &/or Arabs?howbloom:: these subs have a 10,000howbloom:: mile rangeChris OConnor:: A nuke attack on our nation could bring us to our knees, perhaps cast us into the dark ages instantlyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is Bush risking instability in Pakistan by attacking Iraq?howbloom:: to sendhowbloom:: another subhowbloom:: to the pacific coasthowbloom:: and to nuke America's fifteenstevepainter:: I don't think so Jeremy - we paint a country as an enemy and that seems to work pretty wellhowbloom:: largest citieshowbloom:: it would be the pr coup of thhowbloom:: the 21sthowbloom:: centuryhowbloom:: it would do forhowbloom:: Osama whatChris OConnor:: Howard - our country would fallhowbloom:: destroying the populationshowbloom:: of entire citieshowbloom:: did for Alexanderhowbloom:: Alexander of MacedonChris OConnor:: Howard - 2 large buildings destroyed and our nation completely shut down for awhilehowbloom:: became Alexander the greatJeremy1952:: I don't know. I'm not comfortable hating. It took me a year after 9-11 to STOP hating Muslims; and that was helped byhowbloom:: via body countJohnny Neuron:: Isn't the Pakistani govt. an ally of the US though?Jeremy1952:: a realization that consistency would require hating Christians, too.howbloom:: don't hate Moslems, don't at allhowbloom:: hate Moslem militancyhowbloom:: just as you hate theChris OConnor:: It is not the Muslims, but the memehowbloom:: militancy of theMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I don't hate Islam at all. I see it as a runaway system, and our system is in danger of the same thinghowbloom:: Christian fundamentalistshowbloom:: holed up in Idahohowbloom:: our jobJeremy1952:: Two separate things, though; I was asking if we SHOULD, not if it is rational.Chris OConnor:: excellent pointhowbloom:: is to save MoslemsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I don't even hate the virus of fundamentalism, it's just a psychological diseasehowbloom:: just as they thinkJeremy1952:: If it works for them... bonding ...howbloom:: their job is to save usMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Jeremy, it is a good question, how to bond ourselveshowbloom:: their are better ways of howbloom:: bondingMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: good pointhowbloom:: we need to knowChris OConnor:: Michael - it is a disease that must be cured before it brings the entire superorganism downMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: opposites attracthowbloom:: what we stand forhowbloom:: what we offerMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: chris--exactlystevepainter:: but Jeremy - we'd be turning on many of our own Americans who are Muslimshowbloom:: that's worth living and dying forhowbloom:: many Moslems believe MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Steve--as Osama turned on those Muslimshowbloom:: in the western systemstevepainter:: righthowbloom:: as passionately as I doMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we should emphasize that militant Muslims don't' care about American Muslims at allhowbloom:: and many more can be cut loosehowbloom:: from the plaguehowbloom:: of violencehowbloom:: of militancystevepainter:: all the more reason we shouldn't "hate Muslims"MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I worry about the effect of a war in Iraq on thishowbloom:: Osama's reasoninghowbloom:: about our Moslemshowbloom:: is thishowbloom:: we can affordhowbloom:: he says,howbloom:: to lose 100 million MoslemsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I've heard a lot of Americans in chat rooms say "first we'll take Iraq, then Saudi, then Iran"howbloom:: in order to dohowbloom:: what Allah demandshowbloom:: to take over the worldhowbloom:: the Moslem websites are nowhowbloom:: talking openly abouthowbloom:: "taking Europe back"stevepainter:: Saudi Arabia is really the force behind most of thishowbloom:: to make Europe thehowbloom:: Moslem territoryhowbloom:: it was alwayshowbloom:: meant to behowbloom:: with no ushowbloom:: in the picturehowbloom:: no united Chris OConnor:: and this is indeed the goal of the Islamic faith - world domination and stated in the Koranhowbloom:: statesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: so does this boil down to a third world war?howbloom:: Europe would have to bow howbloom:: obsequiouslyBugteach:: sight a web sight pleaseJeremy1952:: Well, that was the stated goal of world communism too...howbloom:: on its kneesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: if you read Revelation, it's an almost identical vision, only with Jesus as the rulerhowbloom:: to Osamahowbloom:: the new whathowbloom:: does he call ithowbloom:: not the emirMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: caliph?Timothy Schoonover:: It's inherent to the nature of memes, no?howbloom:: but the new leader yeshowbloom:: caliphhowbloom:: of a global empirehowbloom:: globalhowbloom:: the world is going globalhowbloom:: Islam was built forhowbloom:: globalismChris OConnor:: wowhowbloom:: its the only religionhowbloom:: that offers ahowbloom:: global system ofhowbloom:: laws and governmentstevepainter:: but the fundamental version is just as repressive as any otherChris OConnor:: our position as world leader teeters on the edge of collapseJeremy1952:: One ray of hope in my world view, is that parasites tend to get less dangerous over timeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: was just reading a paragraph from Lucifer: "If we ever save ourselves from the scourge of mass violence, it will be through the efforts of millions of minds, networked together..."howbloom:: yes, thishowbloom:: is a turning pointhowbloom:: in historyhowbloom:: the things we discusshowbloom:: today, nowChris OConnor:: Michael - I think that is what Global Brain is abouthowbloom:: in this chathowbloom:: may make a differenceJeremy1952:: If you look at old time Christianity it looks about as bad as 21 century Islamhowbloom:: in the direction history takes tomorrowstevepainter:: absolutelyChris OConnor:: yes, there are seeds being planted right nowJohnny Neuron lefthowbloom:: old time Christianity wasJeremy1952:: but it seems to have "mellowed" over the centurieshowbloom:: ghastlyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: do people end up acting like the gods they follow?howbloom:: BUT WE DON'T HAVE IThowbloom:: ANYMOREhowbloom:: we've evolved beyond ithowbloom:: to new forms of competitionstevepainter:: for the most parthowbloom:: creative competitionJeremy1952:: Just like the diseases we live with; pneumonia has been around a long time, so we have come to terms with it. A truce, more or less.howbloom:: cooperationhowbloom:: that enricheshowbloom:: not impoverishesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: one girl trained as a suicide bomber decided not to go through with it...she felt the jihadists were playing with the blood of the martyrsJeremy1952:: Malaria is relatively young and quite destructivehowbloom:: let me tell you a storystevepainter:: many seem to want to bring back "old time Christianity"Johnny Neuron joinedhowbloom:: about cottonhowbloom:: ok?Chris OConnor:: yes, please doBugteach:: khowbloom:: once upon a timehowbloom:: 200 years ago or soChris OConnor:: true Stevehowbloom:: cotton washowbloom:: something only the rich could howbloom:: affordhowbloom:: it was comfortablehowbloom:: as all get outhowbloom:: it was easily launderedhowbloom:: which meansTimothy Schoonover:: yeah it is!howbloom:: no more lice or bugshowbloom:: but it came from Indiahowbloom:: via the Indian oceanhowbloom:: down to YemenBugteach:: excuse me :0howbloom:: and howbloom:: Omanhowbloom:: ok bug,howbloom:: what is it?howbloom:: should Ihowbloom:: return to the tale?howbloom:: normal folksJeremy1952:: howbloom:: wore wool clothingBugteach:: no joking on my name I am very interested continue pleasehowbloom:: that couldn't be laundered easilyChris OConnor:: Please do Howardhowbloom:: smelledhowbloom:: itchedhowbloom:: irritated the skinhowbloom:: and was a great homehowbloom:: for bugs of all kindshowbloom:: then we had several innovationshowbloom:: remember backhowbloom:: in the days of Henry the 8thhowbloom:: when Henry gotChris OConnor:: I don't personallyhowbloom:: a wild ideahowbloom:: and did something the Turks hadhowbloom:: already donehowbloom:: but multiplied it exponentially?howbloom:: he puthowbloom:: cannons on sailing shipshowbloom:: tons and tons of themChris OConnor:: Ahhhowbloom:: and England went from a lesser powerhowbloom:: in Europehowbloom:: to a world force howbloom:: over the next 200 yearsstevepainter:: military innovationhowbloom:: thanks to its navyhowbloom:: right?Chris OConnor:: Yeshowbloom:: but England needed wood to make its shipsJeremy1952:: with you so farhowbloom:: and the wood in Englandhowbloom:: had been pretty much used uphowbloom:: to keep homes warmstevepainter:: we need oil for our war toys?howbloom:: the country was running out ofhowbloom:: the stuffhowbloom:: now think back to those lazyhowbloom:: sons of bitcheshowbloom:: the aristocracyhowbloom:: what do they talk about incessantlyhowbloom:: in pj wodehouse novels?howbloom:: breedinghowbloom:: breeding thingshowbloom:: how to improve a howbloom:: breed ofhowbloom:: bullshowbloom:: a breed of pigshowbloom:: a breed in the familyhowbloom:: the breeding obsessionhowbloom:: of the English aristocratshowbloom:: gave us Darwin's theoryhowbloom:: of natural selectionMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: sex?howbloom:: and it gave Englandhowbloom:: something morehowbloom:: not sex alonehowbloom:: we're talking early genetic engineeringhowbloom:: the Britishhowbloom:: learned the valuehowbloom:: of mono croppinghowbloom:: of concentrating on just one crophowbloom:: per estatehowbloom:: finding out whichhowbloom:: crop worked besthowbloom:: on the sort of land you hadhowbloom:: and pouring yourhowbloom:: hearthowbloom:: your soulhowbloom:: your energyhowbloom:: into genetically howbloom:: engineering the stuffhowbloom:: via breedinghowbloom:: England neededhowbloom:: wood to build more shipshowbloom:: so they mono cropped treeshowbloom:: they build a new howbloom:: agricultural innovationhowbloom:: calledhowbloom:: are you ready?Chris OConnor:: yeshowbloom:: the plantationhowbloom:: the single crop super producerhowbloom:: par excellencehowbloom:: they raised oak forhowbloom:: mastshowbloom:: they raised, I believeJeremy1952:: Ah! so the plantation was invented to grow trees for warships. Fascinating.howbloom:: fast growing pines forhowbloom:: the less important thingshowbloom:: okhowbloom:: so the British now had ahowbloom:: fleethowbloom:: lethowbloom:: 's go backhowbloom:: to an earlier innovationhowbloom:: allow me to take you to howbloom:: 200 bchowbloom:: ok?howbloom:: wait,stevepainter:: why nothowbloom:: sorryhowbloom:: that's 200 adhowbloom:: now the Romans had been importingBugteach:: khowbloom:: Chinese and IndianJeremy1952:: howbloom:: goods for a very long timehowbloom:: in fact they ranhowbloom:: a heavy balance of paymentsChris OConnor:: :0howbloom:: deficit withhowbloom:: chinahowbloom:: because their noblewomen outdidhowbloom:: each other to wear the besthowbloom:: silk gownshowbloom:: silk was shipped howbloom:: overlandhowbloom:: via the old silk roadhowbloom:: the trip tookhowbloom:: i believehowbloom:: 3 years or sohowbloom:: and was dangerous howbloom:: as hellhowbloom:: so silk cost a fortunehowbloom:: then a clever arabhowbloom:: 400 years before Mohammed'showbloom:: birthhowbloom:: did a very evolutionary thinghowbloom:: he figured outhowbloom:: how to make catastrophehowbloom:: into something positivehowbloom:: opportunityhowbloom:: the catastrophehowbloom:: was the monsoonhowbloom:: whose impact you knowhowbloom:: flooding and destruction, right?howbloom:: but he saw more than carnagehowbloom:: he notice a patternhowbloom:: in the way the monsoons gohowbloom:: for one part of the yearChris OConnor:: yeshowbloom:: the blow northeasthowbloom:: and in the other part of the yearChris OConnor:: TravelChris OConnor:: He used the windshowbloom:: they blow southwesthowbloom:: meanwhile, the ArabsChris OConnor:: and currentshowbloom:: had inventedhowbloom:: something calledhowbloom:: the lateen sailChris OConnor:: yephowbloom:: a triangular sailhowbloom:: you could use thowbloom:: toChris OConnor:: both wayshowbloom:: outwit the windhowbloom:: and tackhowbloom:: you've got it chrisChris OConnor:: very impressive inventionhowbloom:: using shipshowbloom:: equippedhowbloom:: with this sailChris OConnor:: incredible step forward - no longer were we slaves to naturehowbloom:: he realized you could sail to Indiahowbloom:: via a sea bornehowbloom:: shortcuthowbloom:: then wait for the windshowbloom:: to changehowbloom:: and sail back tohowbloom:: Omanhowbloom:: or Qatarhowbloom:: once againhowbloom:: meanwhilehowbloom:: other Arab inventorshowbloom:: had come up with a wayhowbloom:: to create a virtual howbloom:: sea lane howbloom:: across the Arab peninsulahowbloom:: to the Mediterranean seahowbloom:: the didn't dig a canalhowbloom:: they domesticatedhowbloom:: camelshowbloom:: and organized themhowbloom:: in a cargo carrying caravanhowbloom:: the high price the Romanshowbloom:: had paidxilog leftAvatarofPower joinedhowbloom:: for goods from the easthowbloom:: went down dramaticallyhowbloom:: that meant the price of cotton and of silkhowbloom:: and ceramics--howbloom:: teapotshowbloom:: tea cupshowbloom:: saucershowbloom:: and, yesChris OConnor:: welcome Kevinhowbloom:: teahowbloom:: but still only the super rich couldhowbloom:: actually afford thesehowbloom:: these ultra luxuries.howbloom:: now for the British shipsstevepainter:: (a cup of tea sounds good)howbloom:: we'll skip thehowbloom:: Portuguesehowbloom:: who found the sea routehowbloom:: around the tiphowbloom:: of Africahowbloom:: and cut the price of eastern goods in halfhowbloom:: againhowbloom:: the brits acquiredhowbloom:: Indiahowbloom:: as the Jewel in the crown of empirehowbloom:: right?Chris OConnor:: Truehowbloom:: the French built the Suez Canalhowbloom:: all this brought the price of cotton clothing downhowbloom:: considerablyhowbloom:: then the britshowbloom:: used their inventionhowbloom:: the plantationhowbloom:: to raise cottonhowbloom:: in some of the new places they'd conqueredhowbloom:: the islands of the Caribbeanhowbloom:: and the American southhowbloom:: we'll skip the very stickyhowbloom:: and wretched issue of slavehowbloom:: trading, which washowbloom:: invented by the Arabshowbloom:: using those oldhowbloom:: monsoon windshowbloom:: to establish slave tradinghowbloom:: entrepots in east Africahowbloom:: so now we hadhowbloom:: mass production of raw cottonhowbloom:: the price of cotton goods went down againhowbloom:: now the upper middle classstevepainter:: slave trading was invented by the Arabs? - Please get back to that laterhowbloom:: could afford the stuffmoose1567:: pleasehowbloom:: like Jacques Louis David's wife's sisterhowbloom:: whose father had made his moneyJohnny Neuron lefthowbloom:: like Osama's dad hadhowbloom:: in constructionhowbloom:: building the Louvrehowbloom:: in 1800howbloom:: the power loom was inventedhowbloom:: it was England's top howbloom:: secret technologyhowbloom:: now cotton goods were producedhowbloom:: in such profusionhowbloom:: that the price was low enough for thehowbloom:: ordinary man and womanhowbloom:: and a new cry went uphowbloom:: a nation's civilizationhowbloom:: is measured by the amount of soap it useshowbloom:: the death rate went downhowbloom:: why?howbloom:: because you could buyhowbloom:: enough cotton clothinghowbloom:: to actually change ithowbloom:: frequentlyhowbloom:: and unlike woolhowbloom:: you could wash ithowbloom:: but here's the real point of the storyhowbloom:: todayhowbloom:: when folks like my old clienthowbloom:: Stewart Copelandhowbloom:: or my anthropologisthowbloom:: friendshowbloom:: go to Africahowbloom:: in search of the most primitive tribeshowbloom:: with the purest indigenousChris OConnor:: And if anyone has a question for Howard - feel free to throw it out there when he finisheshowbloom:: cultures on this earthhowbloom:: what do they find?Jeremy1952:: Cotton?howbloom:: what do their photos show?howbloom:: yeshowbloom:: people living in squalor and povertyhowbloom:: people making almost no cashhowbloom:: living at allhowbloom:: are wearing cotton t shirtshowbloom:: cotton shortshowbloom:: and cotton hatshowbloom:: the western systemhowbloom:: has elevated the poor and the oppressedTimothy Schoonover joinedhowbloom:: the goal of every religionhowbloom:: we've achieved ithowbloom:: now we have to believe itMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: don't forget Nike logoshowbloom:: to defend ithowbloom:: the system of competition via creativityhowbloom:: rather than competitionhowbloom:: via the gunhowbloom:: competition viahowbloom:: fundamentalist militancyJeremy1952:: So, not to go off on a total tangent, but may I ask a question about the "Lucifer Principle" itself?howbloom:: buying weapons has impoverished the Arab nationshowbloom:: ummm, shouldstevepainter:: go for it Jeremyhowbloom:: we first answer thehowbloom:: question abouthowbloom:: Arabs inventing African enslavement?Chris OConnor:: Surestevepainter:: no - I asked that - let Jeremy goChris OConnor:: We just don't want to let you slip awayBugteach:: yephowbloom:: the Arabs and their wonderful ships were capablehowbloom:: of jihad in Africahowbloom:: they traveled up and down the eastern coastMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'm interested in the process of projection...people projecting their own "evil" onto others and becoming immune to communicationhowbloom:: establishing cities like MobassaJeremy1952:: LOL Well, it struck me that the "Lucifer Principle" is the second half of something... the breaking down sidehowbloom:: and languages based on Arabichowbloom:: like SwahiliJeremy1952:: of construction; but there has to be a "building up" side to chip away athowbloom:: you're righthowbloom:: the Lucifer principleChris OConnor:: Good point JeremyJeremy1952:: I'm wondering if the "other side" has a name, an identityhowbloom:: deliberately focused on the negative side of creativityhowbloom:: noChris OConnor:: How could we summarize the Lucifer Principlehowbloom:: alashowbloom:: science is blind to the other sidehowbloom:: which is something I'm working onChris OConnor:: Ahhhowbloom:: I'm working on helping sciencehowbloom:: see the inherentJeremy1952:: Ah.howbloom:: creativity in this cosmoshowbloom:: creativityMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is there an email forum for Lucifer principle or related?howbloom:: and to find a way to explain ithowbloom:: there's a global brain chat grouphowbloom:: but none that I know of onhowbloom:: the Lucifer principlehowbloom:: creativity is atChris OConnor:: I will give you all the info for the Global Brain chat groupChris OConnor:: I am a memberhowbloom:: the heart of what we have to defendhowbloom:: at this time in historyhowbloom:: why Iraq?howbloom:: that's what I wonderChris OConnor:: Yes, great questionhowbloom:: here's what my Islamic friendMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: so it's really a war between cultural creative and fundamentalists?howbloom:: said the week after 9/11Jeremy1952:: So you truly feel that nature has a direction, a goal; that isn't just metaphor?howbloom:: yes, it's a war between the creative and the destructive force ofhowbloom:: human social evolutionhowbloom:: yes, I feel that nature takes quantumhowbloom:: leaps upwardhowbloom:: in creativityMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: it seems like we put most of our creativity into the machinery of selling things, rather than spreading positive ideas about culturehowbloom:: on a fairly regular basishowbloom:: with us or without ushowbloom:: but if we want to survivestevepainter:: by nature do you mean "human nature"?howbloom:: it will have to be with ushowbloom:: nohowbloom:: I'm talking about a big banghowbloom:: emerging from a singularityhowbloom:: I'm talking about a singularityhowbloom:: emerging from a nothingnesshowbloom:: I'm talking about aChris OConnor:: yes, what is your take on that?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think Muslims look at our culture and they see our fragmentation and our chaotic grouping...should we set a new example by bonding without violence?howbloom:: throbbing soup of high speed particleshowbloom:: a plasma atBugteach:: what about mother earths alter ego?howbloom:: the beginning of the universeChris OConnor:: A singularity coming from nothing makes no sensehowbloom:: when no plasma had ever existed beforehowbloom:: I'm talking about the pressure wavesJeremy1952:: The universe is not obligated to make sense to ushowbloom:: the first musicstevepainter:: MG - I don't think most non-Americans see how we are a group (even though we seem to disagree a lot)moose1567:: [_]Dhowbloom:: that rang that plasma like a gongChris OConnor:: Jeremy - true, but damn I want it toAvatarofPower:: but isn't 'creativity' a human invention? Creativity is just the human definition for a consciousness discovering utility... how does creativity exist as a function of the universe?howbloom:: and I'm talking about 100,000 years laterMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Steve--as an American I see a lot of aimlessnesshowbloom:: when an extraordinaryhowbloom:: creative leap occurredhowbloom:: protons discoveredChris OConnor:: Avatar - excellent wording - I have to agreeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: a long term war would give us purpose but would it really bond us or would it make the culture wars toxic?howbloom:: that they were attracted to particlesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think human creativity is similar in many ways to natural processes...evolution being onestevepainter:: but when challenged we form a fairly cohesive grouphowbloom:: only one 1,850th their sizehowbloom:: and atoms emergedMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: artists don't create from a plan, they recombine and sift like nature doesJeremy1952:: But what is driving it? Is it blind evolution, "Santa Fe" principles of self-organization? Or some actual directional, what?Chris OConnor:: Howard - you seem to speak of natures creative forces almost as if there is some sort of sentience or "life" to ithowbloom:: this is the big questionhowbloom:: i do not believe thereMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think any system would tend toward greater complexity, at least under the right conditionshowbloom:: is sentience to ithowbloom:: but it has directionChris OConnor:: Howard - pheewwhowbloom:: it is an impulsiveChris OConnor:: Howard - Ok, I am with youhowbloom:: and propulsive forcestevepainter:: I don't believe it has a directionhowbloom:: that produces grandeurBugteach:: the alter ego right?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: trajectory might be a better wordhowbloom:: it produced atoms from a shouJeremy1952:: Propulsive force... what does that mean?Chris OConnor:: Bug - explain?howbloom:: a huge jump upwardhowbloom:: I know what he means.Chris OConnor:: Ahhhowbloom:: lookChris OConnor:: Howard - so what would fuel this - as Jeremy askedhowbloom:: this cosmos began with one of the biggest energy rushes you can imagineChris OConnor:: Truehowbloom:: it's been taking that energyhowbloom:: and making things ever sinceJeremy1952:: (I can't imagine it)howbloom:: think about ithowbloom:: there was a time whenChris OConnor:: I am so bewildered by the concept of a singularityBugteach:: how said in his book the Satan is mother earths alter ego and is motivating the world nowhowbloom:: there were no things at allJeremy1952:: So what is "it" that "makes"?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: recombination produces complexity by its nature doesn't it?howbloom:: no matterhowbloom:: no atomsAvatarofPower:: right, Howard, but why is it necessary to define it as creativity?howbloom:: none of the things we take for grantedChris OConnor:: Bug - ahhhhstevepainter:: it had to go somewhere - given infinite time to work withhowbloom:: all popped into beingChris OConnor:: Howard - how the hell could that happen?howbloom:: do you have a better word for it thanhowbloom:: creativity?Chris OConnor:: Steve - true, but did it all begin?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: there could have been something before the singularity, just nothing we can get a handle onhowbloom:: I could use itJeremy1952:: Aside from gravity and fundamental forces of nature, which is what mainstream science attributes it to?howbloom:: there was pretty obviously a nothingChris OConnor:: Michael - I so agreehowbloom:: with simple rules of its ownAvatarofPower:: as time moves forward, energy is moved around... by probability, more new things will happen and more new arrangements will be found...howbloom:: nohowbloom:: not probabilityhowbloom:: forget probabilityhowbloom:: this is not a totally determined universeChris OConnor:: Michael - I think we don't have a clue when it all comes down to it - there could be multiple universes, and infinite cycle of expansions and collapses...AvatarofPower:: you're telling me it is a sentient creativity rather than a random probabilityhowbloom:: but it is a very constrained universestevepainter:: no one knows Chris - try Guth again for a Big Bang friendly ideahowbloom:: bear with me and let me tell you a tiny tale of universalhowbloom:: creativity, cosmichowbloom:: creativityhowbloom:: and its limitationshowbloom:: its rigid boundariesAvatarofPower:: (yes, Guths inflationary universe is excellent, Steve)Bugteach:: go for ithowbloom:: unless I've worn you out with storiesTimothy Schoonover:: listeninghowbloom:: ok first there is a nothingnessAvatarofPower:: no, please go aheadChris OConnor:: Yes, this is interestinghowbloom:: you and I are sitting around at an outdoorhowbloom:: cafe tablehowbloom:: before the beginning of the universehowbloom:: you are a dreamerhowbloom:: I'm a skeptichowbloom:: you tell me, Howardhowbloom:: just watch outhowbloom:: something's about to happen that you've never seen beforeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: howbloom:: there's going to be this infinitesimal twisthowbloom:: called a singularityhowbloom:: and from it will burst forthhowbloom:: a new thing that you've never seenJeremy1952:: Sounds like we're drifting into Italo Calvino's territorystevepainter:: what else do you think fueled it, MG?howbloom:: four forces and an energystevepainter:: howbloom:: and I would say to youMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Chris OConnor:: Michaelhowbloom:: you're nutshowbloom:: you're absolutely crazyhowbloom:: I've been here as long as this nothingnesshowbloom:: has existedhowbloom:: and no self- constructinghowbloom:: self unfolding infinitesimalhowbloom:: blip with almost infinite eagerness and energyhowbloom:: has ever existed before andJeremy1952:: But... but... absolute nothing violates the heisenberg uncertainty principle. howbloom:: it is so improbable and impossible that it never willhowbloom:: then comes the singularity and proves me to be a foolJeremy1952:: Making something inevitable, requiredMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "nothing" is relatively defined by "things"howbloom:: 100,000 years laterChris OConnor:: Jeremy - maybe the principle doesn't fitMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "no thing we are familiar with"howbloom:: we are still sitting at our cafe tableChris OConnor:: drinking coffeeJeremy1952:: But true nothing would have an exact momentum - zero - and an a exact location - no where stevepainter:: vacuum violates the uncertainty principle?howbloom:: you've predicted all manner of utterlyhowbloom:: wacko thingshowbloom:: quarksMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: howbloom:: trios of quarksJeremy1952:: Absolutely, Steve. In the real world there is quantum foam.howbloom:: protons stuck together with gluonsChris OConnor:: ewwwhowbloom:: leptonshowbloom:: the whole dealChris OConnor:: okstevepainter:: you always have quantum fluctuations in the vacuumhowbloom:: and I've been stunned andMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: kleptons - the ones that keep stealing the other particleshowbloom:: amazed that you're lunacy has proved trueChris OConnor:: LOLhowbloom:: kleptons, I love it ")MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: feel free to steal my memesBugteach:: hehehowbloom:: ok, pay attention because the universehowbloom:: is about to pull a rabbit out of a hat againChris OConnor:: Yes, Michael is our entertainment at BookTalk - where is Kenny though? I'm not sure how we can define him LOLhowbloom:: I've been watching this plasma bongingChris OConnor:: I'm listeningChris OConnor:: Bonging?howbloom:: for 100,000 yearsmoose1567:: lolhowbloom:: yes, pressure wavesstevepainter:: that explains a lotJeremy1952:: (i hope its not a cud chewing rabbit, though, like the one a certain desert religion came up with)howbloom:: physicists call it musicChris OConnor:: Okhowbloom:: and you sayhowbloom:: Howardhowbloom:: I know you're not going to believe thishowbloom:: but I predict that in a couple of whateverhowbloom:: we substitute for dayshowbloom:: this banginghowbloom:: wanglinghowbloom:: jostlinghowbloom:: ricochetingChris OConnor:: tusslinghowbloom:: super highs speed brothhowbloom:: of particles, constantlyAvatarofPower:: rustling, bustling, tusslinghowbloom:: wangling into each otherhowbloom:: and ricochetinghowbloom:: like bulletsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: zinginghowbloom:: bashing each other at high NaddiaAoC:: Hehe. This sounds like one of your poems, Kevin. howbloom:: speedhowbloom:: will slow downhowbloom:: and something new will appearmoose1567:: molecular orgyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: schleppinghowbloom:: something with properties beyond anything we've seenMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: schleptons?howbloom:: protons are going to discoverhowbloom:: an attractionhowbloom:: that makes them glue themselves to electronshowbloom:: these itty bitty thingshowbloom:: thingshowbloom:: that, as I saidhowbloom:: are one 1,850th their sizeChris OConnor:: Moose AvatarofPower:: I don't like this personified 'discover'howbloom:: and I'd say you are nutshowbloom:: you're crazyhowbloom:: I've watched this universe for 100,000 years nowhowbloom:: particles have alwaysstevepainter:: what's a year?howbloom:: bounced off each otherhowbloom:: and they always willhowbloom:: the idea of this dancehowbloom:: that your predictinghowbloom:: this particle mating and romancehowbloom:: is just plain crazyhowbloom:: and the next dayChris OConnor:: Steve - I see your pointhowbloom:: the first electron and protonhowbloom:: slow down enough to meethowbloom:: and sure enoughhowbloom:: they mateTimothy Schoonover:: I'll be damned.howbloom:: and form an atomhowbloom:: with new propertieshowbloom:: radical new thingsJeremy1952:: I think , when you try to visualize and use intuition at the cosmic and /or quantum scale, it is useful to recallhowbloom:: like the followinghowbloom:: bear with meChris OConnor:: okhowbloom:: there has never been matter in this universe beforeJeremy1952:: that our brains evolved for no such purpose; envisioning quantum interactions and atomic forceshowbloom:: you tell me it's going to come fairlyhowbloom:: quicklystevepainter:: good point JeremyJeremy1952:: is a totally alien exercise to our intuition. SO naturally it seems strange to ushowbloom:: and you try to explain matter to mehowbloom:: and once again I think you're loonyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "something that matters"howbloom:: especially when you tell mehowbloom:: that it's going to be yankedhowbloom:: together by ahowbloom:: force I've never seenhowbloom:: some nutcase frenzy that you callhowbloom:: gravityhowbloom:: now I really know you've lost itChris OConnor:: Howard - do I sense a 3rd book on the horizon?howbloom:: but what happenshowbloom:: yes, the big bang tangohowbloom:: but first i have to write The HiddenChris OConnor:: That will be the name of the book?Chris OConnor:: Ahhhowbloom:: Heartbeat of America--Reinventing Capitalismhowbloom:: Soul andTimothy Schoonover:: hmmhowbloom:: the Wealth of nationshowbloom:: and I have to do ithowbloom:: for a reason someoneChris OConnor:: I think someone already wrote "The Wealth of nations"howbloom:: mentioned several minutes agoTimothy Schoonover:: That's what I'd like to hear about!!Chris OConnor:: What reason?howbloom:: because we need to know what we're fighting forTimothy Schoonover:: Sam Adams =)Chris OConnor:: Tim LOLTimothy Schoonover:: or somethingTimothy Schoonover:: dohhowbloom:: the only system I know of that's ever elevated theChris OConnor:: Howard - I totally agreehowbloom:: poorhowbloom:: and given them t shirts of cottonMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is oil conservation really a "personal virtue"?howbloom:: with Nike logoshowbloom:: ithowbloom:: s not matterTimothy Schoonover:: Adam Smith. evenMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: can we have Ben jerry's logos instead?howbloom:: that we're missinghowbloom:: its meaninghowbloom:: its a goalmoose1567:: Islam right?Chris OConnor:: Tim - ROFL I didn't even catch thatMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Meaning Inc.howbloom:: its idealismhowbloom:: to have idealism, you need to seehowbloom:: clearly thestevepainter:: only if you get Deep Dark Chocolate ice cream too, MGJeremy1952:: Our culture has also given the world Viagra, which, through the law of unintended consequences, is savinghowbloom:: benefits of your systemhowbloom:: we don'thowbloom:: we call it a consumeristJeremy1952:: endangered tigers in Asiahowbloom:: culturehowbloom:: we demean ithowbloom:: this is the only system that haChris OConnor:: Jeremy - those tigers should not be taking Viagrahowbloom:: has ever produced Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:55 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Chat transcript - Howard Bloom chat Jan. 2, 2003

Unread post

continued...MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we participate without thinking and we accumulate guilthowbloom:: the surplus andhowbloom:: the communications deviceshowbloom:: that make movementsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: people need to feel they are contributing to something when they buy and sell, not just robotically killing timehowbloom:: to save animals a possibilityChris OConnor:: So you do not bash consumerismhowbloom:: yes, MichelangeloMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I like the Smart Mob ideaMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: got that book howbloom:: you put it perfectlyhowbloom:: it's not just a smart mobhowbloom:: it's a mob withhowbloom:: a hidden heartChris OConnor:: this is fascinating stuffhowbloom:: with a hidden utopiahowbloom:: with hidden moral imperativeshowbloom:: there is creative capitalismTimothy Schoonover:: How can capitalism work without unemployment, and how can such inherent oppression be empowering?Jeremy1952:: I just don't see how tying the superiority of pluralistic democracy (which I support unequivocally) with howbloom:: and criminal capitalismhowbloom:: we use a Marxist vocabularyhowbloom:: built on a baseChris OConnor:: Tim - I read your post on the boards about thathowbloom:: laid by Adam smithJeremy1952:: a "force" that we can't define and can't pin down and can't explain, I don't see how that whole side Jeremy1952:: does anything but weaken our case.howbloom:: a system of wordshowbloom:: a vocabulary thathowbloom:: demeans the creativity in what we've gotmoose1567:: dose anyone remember the photo taken in Yemen, of kids celebrating in the streets after 911, one was wearing a Houston Astros T shirt?Timothy Schoonover:: such could be said of idealism in generalhowbloom:: that fails to see what one member saw abovestevepainter:: you seem to be saying that we're borally "better" than everyoneChris OConnor:: Moose - nopehowbloom:: to exchange goods or serviceshowbloom:: is to save each otherstevepainter:: that was morally not borallyChris OConnor:: Steve - perhaps bothhowbloom:: yes, we are better than the Arab countriesJeremy1952:: Lol, moose, now that's a keeperhowbloom:: that have mass produced povertyChris OConnor:: U ohhowbloom:: we are better than the YanomamoJeremy1952:: And of course everyone in the world wants American greenbackshowbloom:: who collect wiveshowbloom:: by killing othersmoose1567:: ironic, huh?Chris OConnor:: who have practiced ...yeshowbloom:: we are better than the battlers of the BalkansMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: are we undermining our position by waging war or are we right to pursue military dominance?howbloom:: who are constantly at each others throatsChris OConnor:: Howard - it takes some courage to say that...and I am not 100% sold on the idea, but it does make sensehowbloom:: competing with weaponry, not creativitystevepainter:: of course we're morally "better" in our opinion - if not we'd be crazyJeremy1952:: It was suggested, when hard to counterfeit $100. bills came out, that the old ones be invalidated after a time;howbloom:: we are better than the Islamic fundamentalistChris OConnor:: Howard - Jared Diamond would differ I believehowbloom:: killershowbloom:: listen to thisChris OConnor:: okJeremy1952:: no longer legal tender; but they decided it would be destabilizinghowbloom:: here's a rough death toll stevepainter:: that doesn't mean that we're "Better" in some absolute sensehowbloom:: of modern Islamic jihadismMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: keep in mind a few of our own leaders believe God elected themhowbloom:: over 100,000 have been killed inJeremy1952:: because the Russian central bank has us $100. bills that they use to back their currencyhowbloom:: Algeriastevepainter:: non-fundamentalists are better than fundamentalists perhapshowbloom:: by the jihadistsChris OConnor:: Steve - as a general rule I supposehowbloom:: roughly 50,000 have been killed in Kashmirhowbloom:: over a million have been killedChris OConnor:: This is all truehowbloom:: in battles between Moslem and nonhowbloom:: Moslemsmoose1567:: 155,000, go onhowbloom:: in the Sudan and Somaliahowbloom:: and no one pays attentionhowbloom:: no one caresMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is the only way to fight fundamentalists to kill them, or can you undermine their support base?howbloom:: no one puts it in the headlinesstevepainter:: what about our sanctions in Iraq?howbloom:: I want to undermine the support basehowbloom:: by giving a voicehowbloom:: to the modernisthowbloom:: pluralisthowbloom:: toleranthowbloom:: Moslems I knowTimothy Schoonover:: So the US is better because our coercive tender is creativity rather than weaponry?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'd like to see moderate Muslims gain enough support that they can speak without fearChris OConnor:: It is just completely against the "politically correct" stance to ever illuminate anyone's flaws or differenceshowbloom:: I've been seeking them outstevepainter:: with or without them - makes no difference to Saddam except that he can paint us as the "bad guy"howbloom:: yes, the us is better because we fight economicallyJeremy1952:: That sounds like a terrific approachhowbloom:: Japan learned that after ww2howbloom:: so did GermanyJeremy1952:: Seeking out and supporting the moderates, I meanstevepainter:: I don't know Tim, we make damn good weaponshowbloom:: no we have to teach it to Islamhowbloom:: nowhowbloom:: not noMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: will invading Iraq produce a happy liberated population or will it involve mistakes on our side that will give the fundamentalists more propaganda fuel?howbloom:: we have to pacify this worldhowbloom:: herehowbloom:: sstevepainter:: exactly MGhowbloom:: my problem with Iraqhowbloom:: what we really have to dohowbloom:: is castrate Islam'sTimothy Schoonover:: I don't think that coercion in any form will lead us to a better society unless you define better to be "physically safer"howbloom:: nukesmoose1567:: to be beat by the US, is the best thing for any countryhowbloom:: and its chemical an biological weaponsBugteach:: they will never give up their paradigm howbloom:: one of my Islamichowbloom:: friendshowbloom:: said to mehowbloom:: two weeks afterhowbloom:: 9/11howbloom:: which I could see fromhowbloom:: the window to my righthowbloom:: that we,howbloom:: meaning we non Moslemshowbloom:: had to do thehowbloom:: followinghowbloom:: we had to immediatelyhowbloom:: immediatelyhowbloom:: take out the nuclear capabilitieshowbloom:: of four countrieshowbloom:: and he countedhowbloom:: them outhowbloom:: on his fingershowbloom:: they were Iraqhowbloom:: Iranhowbloom:: Libyahowbloom:: and Pakistanhowbloom:: and he wanted ME meaningmoose1567:: North Korea?howbloom:: you and me and all of ushowbloom:: to do it TODAYhowbloom:: Korea's a whole different problem, but to protect Japan and the former Asianhowbloom:: tigers, yes,Jeremy1952:: I don't see any possible way we could take action against Pakistan. Pakistan is an ally.howbloom:: denucleate the madmen ofMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: how do we do that without creating millions of mobile enemies which could get biological weapons?howbloom:: Korea who've reducedhowbloom:: their population to povertyJeremy1952:: What happens to our iterative relationships if we turn so quickly on our allies?howbloom:: and enslavementstevepainter:: now wait a minute - I'm proud to be an American - I believe in what our country originally stood for...howbloom:: there are tons of problemshowbloom:: in this imperativeJeremy1952:: And wtf are we doing in Korea? The U.S. violated our treaties with N, Korea; and then our response is,stevepainter:: but we walk into many places, take what we want and piss on the inhabitants...MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the whole thing is a precarious game...I really don't trust our leaders to understand it deeply enoughstevepainter:: then we get mad that they're upsetJeremy1952:: "neener neener, we won't talk to you?" Refusing to negotiate, howbloom:: that's what gets me about IraqJeremy1952:: what kind of position is that/howbloom:: regime change is irrelevantMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the way our leaders talk, they are herding us into a game we aren't willing to understandhowbloom:: denucleation is the goalmoose1567:: Korea is a potential supplier to those countries mentionedhowbloom:: there's no negotiation in these mattersChris OConnor:: Steve - we must consider the consequences of our actions - so truestevepainter:: to top it off, the whole thing is sold to the public as us being the "good guy" all the timeTimothy Schoonover:: regime change is worse than no actionhowbloom:: if you wrote about negotiations to bring peacehowbloom:: and what their consequences werehowbloom:: you'd scare yourself half to deathMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think the meme "you can't negotiate" is pretty well ingrained on our side, and theirshowbloom:: did you see the story of the Treaty of Lucarno In 1920MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: and therefore trueAvatarofPower lefthowbloom:: in the Lucifer principle?Chris OConnor:: Howard - are you not concerned with WWIII starting over our goal of "denuking" the Middle East?Jeremy1952:: I don't get it. Nonsense, Michael, they are saying they want to negotiate. We are refusinghowbloom:: yes, I'm concernedhowbloom:: about a warstevepainter:: why not dredge up how the US government treated the native Americans?howbloom:: that spins wildly out of controlMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think a lot of people WANT a world warMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: it gives them a feeling of purposehowbloom:: look, we can talk about the pastMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: especially the rapturistsChris OConnor:: Howard - I am very afraid that the next 20 years will be the downfall of the US empirehowbloom:: as much as we likehowbloom:: but the goal here is to learn from the pasthowbloom:: how to surviveChris OConnor:: Howard - very truehowbloom:: this is survival timeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think the US could fragment into multiple regions at some pointmoose1567:: they really don't want to negotiate, only want to stallhowbloom:: we have something preciousstevepainter:: but is our goal to help or to conquer?Chris OConnor:: Michael - very possiblehowbloom:: this debate could not take place in the Islamic nationsJeremy1952:: I don't get that either, moose, if you are talking about Korea. howbloom:: with the possible exhowbloom:: exception ofMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: would weaning ourselves off oil be a good thing? or would it destabilize even more?stevepainter:: and a number of other placeshowbloom:: Indonesiahowbloom:: and MalaysiaChris OConnor:: Steve - perhaps just to survive at this pointstevepainter:: damn right MGJeremy1952:: WE broke the treaty; THEY suggested negotiation; stalling for what?moose1567:: Iraq and KoreaBugteach:: we are too concerned about world opinionhowbloom:: and even in Malaysia it's would be trickyChris OConnor:: yes, oil dependency is going to bring us downBugteach:: we wont do thisMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Bug, we're in this mess partly because we weren't concerned with world opinionhowbloom:: the freedom to do what we're doing nowstevepainter:: either that, Bug or we're not concerned enoughhowbloom:: is precioushowbloom:: fragilehowbloom:: and under attackstevepainter:: can't have it both wayshowbloom:: from folkshowbloom:: who are sure they will winhowbloom:: because no matter howhowbloom:: many of them wehowbloom:: take downhowbloom:: they will produce moreJeremy1952:: Oh well. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, members of the jury; Time for me to go. Howard Bloom, thanks very muchMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think we're under attack from ourselves as well...the culture wars. There's a lot of resentment against the 60's and sexual freedom etc.howbloom:: more martyrsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: bye JeremyJeremy1952:: much for joining us! howbloom:: more muhahidanBugteach:: china has that same mohowbloom:: Jeremy, thanksChris OConnor:: Goodnight JeremyJeremy1952:: See y'all next week (& on the board!)Bugteach:: aren't they nextJeremy1952 leftstevepainter:: bye Jeremyhowbloom:: ChinaBugteach:: yeshowbloom:: you've got itChris OConnor:: Howard - so what is the ultimate solution? Or is there none?howbloom:: China is going to stay quietChris OConnor:: china is a sleeping gianthowbloom:: and let the Jihadists and the Westerners duke it outMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: what would Bush do if China attacked Taiwan?Chris OConnor:: Howard - yes, so truehowbloom:: it is sleeping for a strategichowbloom:: reasonChris OConnor:: China scares meBugteach:: they feel that they have a lot to give / if you get my pointhowbloom:: we will weaken ourselvesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: America and china both scare mehowbloom:: and weaken another ally and enemy of chinahowbloom:: Islamhowbloom:: China'sChris OConnor:: yes, I believe they have a very good strategyhowbloom:: Xingiang provincehowbloom:: is perpetually under attackhowbloom:: from Islamhowbloom:: there arehowbloom:: al qaidahowbloom:: cells in SingaporeChris OConnor:: Michael - I agreehowbloom:: Malaysiastevepainter:: not to go off on a tangent, but my kids noticed almost all the gifts they got this holiday season were made in Chinahowbloom:: and Indonesiahowbloom:: China is a target of militanthowbloom:: Islamhowbloom:: but why notMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: is there an opening for a global grassroots creative group to offset all the strategic gaming by superpowers?howbloom:: sleep peacefullyhowbloom:: build more factorieshowbloom:: export more goodsBugteach:: prepare for warhowbloom:: horde your income from exportshowbloom:: and wait while your enemieshowbloom:: come close to annihilatinghowbloom:: each otherhowbloom:: so they can leave the worldhowbloom:: to youBugteach:: sounds familiarhowbloom:: a new hegemonyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: can humanity survive the next century if the war machines keep bashing into each other?howbloom:: something china is shooting forstevepainter:: go back to Michael's point about weaning us from oilhowbloom:: okhowbloom:: one huge bush mistakeChris OConnor:: Yes, oil is a major issuehowbloom:: was started by Ronald Reaganstevepainter:: we are the world's biggest consumer - stop buying from them and they lose powerhowbloom:: here's another brief storyhowbloom:: if you can stand onemoose1567:: gohowbloom:: in the 1970s we were howbloom:: in Jimmy Cartershowbloom:: moral equivalent to warMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we've been taught to forget how our consuming affects the worldhowbloom:: we were pouring moneyhowbloom:: into the development ofmoose1567:: solarChris OConnor:: Steve - true, but I have heard it argued that if you starve your neighbor they will soon go to where the food ishowbloom:: sustainable technologieshowbloom:: yesBugteach:: the third bear/howbloom:: solarhowbloom:: I was involved in the solarhowbloom:: movementmoose1567:: me toohowbloom:: we were on the verge ofhowbloom:: developing wind harvesters of ahowbloom:: radically new kindhowbloom:: we'd done the research and had built themoose1567:: carters goal was to be 20% solar by 2000stevepainter:: it's all about moneyhowbloom:: prototypeshowbloom:: then came ReaganChris OConnor:: Wind power would be incrediblehowbloom:: and nearly wiped the project outhowbloom:: withdrew the fundingChris OConnor:: Moose - that would have eliminated many of our problemsTimothy Schoonover:: damn the GOPmoose1567:: Reagan killed ithowbloom:: killed the technologyhowbloom:: in its cradlehowbloom:: but the Danes and Scandinavianshowbloom:: were not as stupid as Reaganhowbloom:: and were not beholden toMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'm amazed at how regressive political rhetoric has gotten...there is the same division between "commie peacenik liberals" and "family values conservatives"howbloom:: oil companieshowbloom:: as he wasmoose1567:: Israel is close to 35% solar nowhowbloom:: so the Scandinavians took our new wind harvestershowbloom:: and mass produced themMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: let's bomb them!howbloom:: when Bush took power, he cut what little was leftChris OConnor:: Moose - are you serious?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: bastard Scandinavians!howbloom:: of an alternative energy development budgetChris OConnor:: Yes, bomb Norwayhowbloom:: and lopped it in half againhowbloom:: meanwhilemoose1567:: yephowbloom:: when his buddies took down Enronstevepainter:: we're more dependent on fossil fuels than everMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Bush seems to be running on fear politics alone...he'll have to keep pushing us into war in order to stay in officeChris OConnor:: truehowbloom:: there was one profitable part of the companyhowbloom:: left standinghowbloom:: and that was of all thingsChris OConnor:: solarChris OConnor:: ??howbloom:: Enron's wind power divisionChris OConnor:: AhhMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the one thing bush cannot do politically is appear weakmoose1567:: oil companies bought up a lot of patents too and sitting on themhowbloom:: solar is the same story all over againChris OConnor:: I didn't even know they had such a divhowbloom:: as for the politics of fearhowbloom:: there are times when fear is paranoidhowbloom:: times when it is manipulativestevepainter:: is that true, Moose? I always thought that was a conspiracy theory viewhowbloom:: and times when it is necessaryTimothy Schoonover:: There's always another side of the story...I'd be interested to here it.howbloom:: fear arises to protect ushowbloom:: to galvanize usMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Howard--that's the thing. I think fear is rational, but ALSO being manipulated.howbloom:: against an enemyChris OConnor:: Moose - that would make a great topic for the message boardsmoose1567:: from my readingsBugteach:: who is the enemy howbloom:: and we are up against the biggest enemy we've faced sincehowbloom:: AdolphTimothy Schoonover:: Machiavelli though as much.howbloom:: shicklegrupberstevepainter:: Bush?Chris OConnor:: Who?howbloom:: a global enemy that's in a positionmoose1567:: WHO?Chris OConnor:: LOLmoose1567:: lolMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Bush believes God put him in office.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that worries meChris OConnor:: Does that mean Bush in Swahili?stevepainter:: oh yeahBugteach:: the ideas of that group or their anger towards us/howbloom:: like that of Adolph in 1933 to 1936howbloom:: when he was vulnerable and could have been stoppedstevepainter:: "ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand"howbloom:: if we don't have fear todayhowbloom:: we'll have nightmares of mass murder tomorrowMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the problem is we can't separate rational fear from irrational fearTimothy Schoonover:: /g I would prefer to use the word concern rather than fearstevepainter:: what is "rational" is subjective to the individualhowbloom:: right now if we're not prejudiced against jihadistshowbloom:: we are crazyChris OConnor:: I agreeChris OConnor:: Totallystevepainter:: that's truehowbloom:: because the jihadists want to kill usmoose1567:: [_]Dhowbloom:: and that's for realChris OConnor:: Moose - thanksBugteach:: we are fearful but it apparently hasn't fully manifested because we cant even say that we are in a war with IslamMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: our own fundamentalists bother me...MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: not sure if we're properly afraid of them stevepainter:: me too, MGChris OConnor:: Bug - excellent pointhowbloom:: our own fundamentalists have become irrelevantMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: think so?Chris OConnor:: Bug - we are so caught up with being "tolerant"stevepainter:: some seem to have taken over latelyBugteach:: not all of ushowbloom:: and you're hearing that from a fundamentalist fighterhowbloom:: the most accurate assessmenthowbloom:: of our current situation I've seenhowbloom:: came fromstevepainter:: I don't agree Howardhowbloom:: an old enemy of minehowbloom:: Pat RobertsonChris OConnor:: enemy?Chris OConnor:: AhhTimothy Schoonover:: *hiss*howbloom:: who said we have two dangersMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I downloaded a US army manual the other day, and someone had imbedded a White Resistance Handbook in the zip filestevepainter:: they are relevant in that they seem to enjoy their vision of ArmageddonChris OConnor:: he is an enemy of anyone who values reasonhowbloom:: that we're up againstChris OConnor:: LOL Timhowbloom:: one is Islamhowbloom:: the second is the danger of new legislationstevepainter:: fundamentalist Islamhowbloom:: to our civil rightsChris OConnor:: Michael - that's weirdhowbloom:: yes, fundamentalist IslamBugteach:: homeland securityChris OConnor:: Ok, thanks for clarifying thathowbloom:: here's something elseMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I've been surprised how much racism and hate exists in my own countryhowbloom:: it has become commonhowbloom:: to refer to Islamic Moslems as islamistshowbloom:: I hate that term and howbloom:: oppose itstevepainter:: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security " B. Franklinhowbloom:: it hints that all Islam is our enemyhowbloom:: I prefer the term jihadistsBugteach:: radicals?howbloom:: only those who want jihad are our enemies, not all Moslemsmoose1567:: i agreeChris OConnor:: Steve - Ranklin had more great quotes than anyonehowbloom:: but there's a twistChris OConnor:: Steve - and so did Franklinhowbloom:: 20 minuteshowbloom:: before this chat beganhowbloom:: one of my Islamic friendsTimothy Schoonover:: Chris - except Eminemstevepainter:: even jihad has been perverted - it means "struggle" and might mean a war or a more personal thinghowbloom:: read over the proposal for The Hidden HeartbeatChris OConnor:: Tim - Yes, his vivacious vernacular gives me chillshowbloom:: of America--Reinventing Capitalismhowbloom:: He looked at my summary of Osama's viewsmoose1567:: and....howbloom:: and said that these were exactly the viewsstevepainter:: ack - not Eminem - say it aint so, ChrisChris OConnor:: Howard - can you provide a summary to us? via email or URL?howbloom:: in his upscale, professional, Brooklyn, modern communityBugteach:: t cells?Chris OConnor:: Steve - I was kiddinghowbloom:: the summary of Osama's views?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Howard--so does that mean American Muslims will find themselves in internment camps eventually?howbloom:: no, not cells, the generalNaddiaAoC:: Eminem will be president some day.stevepainter:: whew!howbloom:: populationhowbloom:: men, women, and childrenChris OConnor:: Howard - I thought you meant of your next bookhowbloom:: nearly all his friends howbloom:: the tenants in his buildinghowbloom:: who are PakistaniChris OConnor:: Naddia - when you speak - its powerfulBugteach:: we've been infected w/o our knowing worse than we thought howbloom:: the folks in his mosquehowbloom:: his imammoose1567:: I've been waiting for Naddia to say something... but...howbloom:: everyone around himNaddiaAoC:: I know Chris. I'm very profound like that.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: do they all support the use of attacks on civilians?howbloom:: ok, let's hear Nadiahowbloom:: yesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that's frighteninghowbloom:: the do support murderous jihadChris OConnor:: Howard - give a guesstimate of what percentage of Islamic people are our enemies - or fundamentalistshowbloom:: they cheer itmoose1567:: yeah Naddia, go ahead!Chris OConnor:: howbloom:: I thought the fundamentalistshowbloom:: werehowbloom:: 20% of the Islamic communityhowbloom:: which would mean 240 million peopleBugteach:: more like halfChris OConnor:: Howard - ok, thankshowbloom:: roughly the population of the ushowbloom:: but my Moslem friend said I was crazyChris OConnor:: Howard - huge superorganismstevepainter:: I'd buy the 20% figurehowbloom:: the figure was 60%Bugteach:: rightChris OConnor:: Wow 60 is scaryMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: how do you defeat that?howbloom:: roughly 720 million peopleChris OConnor:: yes, how?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: need an antivirushowbloom:: and tonight he acted as if that percentage has gone up in recent weeksMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: will war alone work?Chris OConnor:: Michael - LOL You are correct!howbloom:: partly because of what we call our toleranceBugteach:: nortons?Chris OConnor:: Howard - explainChris OConnor:: Howard - what tolerance?howbloom:: our desire to escape stereotyping and prejudicestevepainter:: but most are followers - improve their lot and they suddenly lose the will to act violentlyChris OConnor:: Yes, damnTimothy Schoonover:: I don't see how denucleation will solve that.NaddiaAoC:: Fundamentalism sucks. That's my observation for the night. I'll sign autographs later.howbloom:: LOLMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: conservatives put down "tolerance" a lotChris OConnor:: Tim - but isn't it a step in the right direction?Bugteach:: they will only respect a decisive hand!howbloom:: who will onlyhowbloom:: respectChris OConnor:: Naddia - omgMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Bug--will they?howbloom:: a decisive hand?moose1567:: can i have a signed 8x10 naddia?Bugteach:: the radicalshowbloom:: okTimothy Schoonover:: I don't think radical change is ever a positive step.NaddiaAoC:: Sure Moosehowbloom:: here's the thinkingmoose1567:: ty naddiahowbloom:: in another intellectual communityMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I don't know if they would respect us for our power alonehowbloom:: the HBD groupChris OConnor:: What a scary topic, but one that absolutely MUST be addressedMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I certainly wouldn't respect us for that alonemoose1567:: I'm your biggest fanhowbloom:: the human behavioral differences grouphowbloom:: wanna hear it?Chris OConnor:: YesChris OConnor:: Pleasehowbloom:: the HBD groupBugteach:: go for ithowbloom:: is an elite emailhowbloom:: gathering of folks who lean to the rightstevepainter:: that respect only lasts until the downtrodden gain the upper handNaddiaAoC:: I know you are, Moose. That's why you get and 8 x 10 and everyone else gets a wallet size.howbloom:: people likemoose1567:: lolhowbloom:: Charles Murray, author of The Bell CurveChris OConnor:: okhowbloom:: and a lot of us liberals whosehowbloom:: liberalism is now too narrowhowbloom:: and needs serious reinventionhowbloom:: folks like Francis FukuyamaMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the "elites" fail to impress me with their intellect...howbloom:: and like Lionel Togerhowbloom:: do you know their names?moose1567:: its become a dirty word thanks to ReaganBugteach:: vaguelyhowbloom:: they point to militaristic JapanMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: fukuyama I've read a few things byChris OConnor:: I've always considered the "elite" to be the scientists and educatorshowbloom:: in the days leading to WWIIChris OConnor:: I don't know their nameshowbloom:: a war Hitler and Tojo couldn't wait to startBugteach:: whyhowbloom:: Japan was so militaristic that when we advanced toward theirhowbloom:: countryhowbloom:: every citizen seemed prepared to be a martyrhowbloom:: to attack as many Americans as possible and to diehowbloom:: trying to kill morehowbloom:: Truman had the howbloom:: figures on the probable death tollhowbloom:: calculated and the figure wasBugteach:: they had no conscioushowbloom:: humongousMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: before the clash of civilizations, we had school kids shooting up their schools...maybe the global organism is having problems all aroundhowbloom:: he had seen in Okinawa that the Japanese prized deathhowbloom:: more than we prize lifehowbloom:: instead of losing a total of a million peopleMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I get the sense that martyrdom is release from shame for jihadistshowbloom:: Japanese suicide warrior civilians andstevepainter:: they prized pride and their version of honorhowbloom:: American troopshowbloom:: Truman decided on the lesser of availablehowbloom:: evils and chosehowbloom:: to nuke Hiroshimamoose1567:: da bombhowbloom:: that ended the military holdhowbloom:: on Japan permanentlyhowbloom:: and Japan joined the western systemhowbloom:: of competition via howbloom:: creativityhowbloom:: and tradeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I worry that if we ever use extreme means to win a war, we will fragment and be at each other's throats the day after. moose1567:: and is now kicking our asses economicallyhowbloom:: competition caring about and serving other people's needsBugteach:: so da nuke is the answer/stevepainter:: so are you trying to say that we should nuke Iraq and go from there?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think undertones of guilt make our culture unstableChris OConnor:: hmmmhowbloom:: I would like to pinpointhowbloom:: targetshowbloom:: the deep military tunnelshowbloom:: Khaddafi has dugMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: does Libya have nukes?Bugteach:: how many/howbloom:: for his weapons developmentTimothy Schoonover:: how can capitalism inspire anything other than self-interest?howbloom:: it's working on them but it's out of the press limelightMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think capitalism can be creativehowbloom:: which has given it an opportunityMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: should behowbloom:: tod do anything it wantshowbloom:: capitalismhowbloom:: the topic I'm working onhowbloom:: to make money howbloom:: in the capitalist systemstevepainter:: rational self-interest isn't necessarily "selfish" in a bad sensehowbloom:: you have to care for other people tremendouslyChris OConnor:: Steve - trueMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I do think a lot of creative people, for one reason or another, aren't able to make a living being creativehowbloom:: you have to have the virtues of a sainthowbloom:: rational self interesthowbloom:: is a travestyhowbloom:: it is not the way things workMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the system elevates people with a small range of talent and those who are really renaissance minds don't make much moneyTimothy Schoonover:: can you be a little more specific about what is creativity?howbloom:: in economics or psychologyTimothy Schoonover:: econhowbloom:: the trick is to feel out others needshowbloom:: and to service them with genuine careMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think we need a capitalism with an awareness of interdependence rather than the illusion that you buy something and it doesn't affect the worldBugteach:: we failed that testMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I agree Howardhowbloom:: that's what makes a small business or a major industry workhowbloom:: but most folks just don't get ithowbloom:: they don't understand the capitalist imperativeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I've been reading some stuff on neurolinguistic programming in sales...strange fieldBugteach:: our govt. flip/flops with its policy changeshowbloom:: save thy neighbor as thy would save thineselfMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: :Agreeshowbloom:: serve they neighbor as one would serve thyselfstevepainter:: that's true - but that is rational self-interest in my opinion - helping the others helps yourself in that caseBugteach:: from dems to repsTimothy Schoonover:: It's easy to say what capitalism *should* do, but *how* is what matters.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: employ thy neighbor as one would employ thyselfhowbloom:: when I was doing my fieldwork in the entertainment industryhowbloom:: I worked out how to do it and made billionshowbloom:: of dollarshowbloom:: for major companiesTimothy Schoonover:: I'm listening.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that's another thing, I'd like to see music deal with real issues again...I'm tired of the lyrics that get playedBugteach:: that's the goal but we drift away from those moral imperativeshowbloom:: but I had to fight with the companies that made the profitsChris OConnor:: Tim - so truehowbloom:: to make those profits for themhowbloom:: why?howbloom:: because they swallowedmoose1567:: i gotta go, nice meeting you Howard Bloom, thanks for being here, goodnight friends, esp. naddia, muah!howbloom:: the Marxists picture of capitalismMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: later mooseTimothy Schoonover:: night moosehowbloom:: they thought capitalism was about greedChris OConnor:: Howard - have you written any essays on your work in the music industry?Chris OConnor:: Bye Moosehowbloom:: about stuffing your pockets and manipulating human needsmoose1567 leftMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'd like to see that toohowbloom:: I've got 300 Mb of stuff written in the computerhowbloom:: 3,700 chaptersMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: anthropology in the entertainment sceneChris OConnor:: Howard - I would love to read about your music backgroundhowbloom:: and a problem getting it into bookshowbloom:: because right now I'm concentrating on televisionChris OConnor:: Howard - I would imagine that would be a challengehowbloom:: science needs to reach peopleChris OConnor:: Howard - yes, that's what I heardMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I agreeChris OConnor:: Howard - I totally agree!MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I wish they'd had participatory sociology in high schoolhowbloom:: there's an anti science movement that's been brewing since roughly 168MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: ever read the Un-TV and the 10MPH car?howbloom:: 1968Chris OConnor:: Howard - are you familiar with Ann Druyans attempt at bringing science to the masses? Project Voyager?howbloom:: and it has to be reversedBugteach:: they are too busy trying to genetically change ushowbloom:: what was project voyager?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we see that every day in chat, Howard...people with very little knowledge of science trying to shoot down scienceChris OConnor:: Howard - it didn't flyChris OConnor:: Howard - Yeshowbloom:: my project, I hope willMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: you need to get pop stars to put science in their lyricsstevepainter:: it's depressing, MGhowbloom:: I'm working on ithowbloom:: I have commitments to do just thatChris OConnor:: Howard - I wish you luck with it and think it is soooo importantMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: need rap music with nerd lyricsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: greathowbloom:: I'm trying to go multimedia, totally panopticMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that would be a fun fieldstevepainter:: not that, MGChris OConnor:: Michael - You are so righthowbloom:: to reach people with the message that we can change the worldhowbloom:: we can change each others livesMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: Eminem teaching science...that would be greathowbloom:: science is a tool of understandingMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: britney spears teaching psychology lolhowbloom:: technology gives us the equivalentChris OConnor:: Howard - wow...if you could use the language of the youth - music - you could reach the most important demographic - the impressionable youthhowbloom:: of new eyes, new earsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: scary thoughhowbloom:: new limbsstevepainter:: all kidding aside, this is true - mass media pop culture teaching science instead of anti-science would be greatMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I had a vision of that long time ago, entertainers mounting a sociology campaignhowbloom:: and that capitalism is about caring for other peoplehowbloom:: for being open to your own emotions and your fantasieshowbloom:: find a way to fill them and you will find a way tohowbloom:: fill these dreams for multitudeshowbloom:: that's capitalismChris OConnor:: Now that excites mehowbloom:: Look, in industryhowbloom:: in major corporations I functionedMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I see a lot of dreams going stale in this system...people feel they have to be someone else to succeedhowbloom:: like a prophetMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: dreams taken by the system with the dreamers left out in the coldhowbloom:: I looked for emotional truths in the center of the soul of the artists I worked withhowbloom:: and rammed those truths homeChris OConnor:: wowhowbloom:: cut straight through the corporate bureaucracyhowbloom:: like butterhowbloom:: so I could take this flame of soulhowbloom:: to a public hungering for itChris OConnor:: I bet you have some interesting stuff typed up about thishowbloom:: the companies fought and kicked and screamsChris OConnor:: Howard - you should join forces with Ann Druyan and Dorionhowbloom:: but they made money that saved themhowbloom:: Ann and I are supposed ot meetChris OConnor:: Howard - she is awesomeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I don't know who that is chrishowbloom:: her financial backer is a major fan of this planChris OConnor:: Howard - she would be an assetChris OConnor:: Carl Sagan's widowChris OConnor:: And Dorion is Sagans sonhowbloom:: the wraparound-all-media plan to get science across as a secular religionhowbloom:: Dorion has beenhowbloom:: a good friend for eleven yearsstevepainter:: Howard, who have you worked with besides Michael Jackson and John Cougar (both listed in Lucifer Principle)?Chris OConnor:: Dorion is not an astronomer - but has books out - biology I believe?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that will make the fundies happy lolhowbloom:: who have I worked with?howbloom:: Michael Jackson, John Mellencamp, Prince, Billy Joel, Joanstevepainter:: in the music industry - just curioushowbloom:: Jett, Billy Idolstevepainter:: interestinghowbloom:: Grandmaster Flash and the Furious FiveMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: mellencamp's "we are the people" was an interesting songhowbloom:: Run DMCstevepainter:: thanksChris OConnor:: Those are big names, and from what I have read you are largely responsible for taking them up the ladder of successhowbloom:: I helped establish theTimothy Schoonover joinedhowbloom:: a bunch of sub cultural movementshowbloom:: which was really one of my major interestsChris OConnor:: Howard - ok, weird question but what music do you listen to?stevepainter:: saw Prince once - heel of a performerhowbloom:: they includedhowbloom:: country crossoverMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: what sub cultural movements would you identify as being important now?stevepainter:: that was hell of a performer oopshowbloom:: getting Nashville across to AmericaChris OConnor:: I love countryhowbloom:: establishing discohowbloom:: which was the music of the gay communitystevepainter:: ack - I can't stand countryhowbloom:: its statement that it had a right to beMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: country-disco?howbloom:: punk music in 1978MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "My pickup truck died and I can't stop dancing..."Chris OConnor:: Steve - I said that too until I was given 10 country CD's for free. I listened to them with the "open mind" I value so much and couldn't believe what I heardhowbloom:: rap music in 1981NaddiaAoC:: LOL MichaelMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think rap with better lyrics would be greathowbloom:: and the kind of black crossover that gave Michael Jackson and PrinceMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I like some rap a lot but the lyrics are an impediment...and MTV isn't helpingstevepainter:: can't do it Chris - I like some, but in general I can't stand ithowbloom:: a place on MTVhowbloom:: alsohowbloom:: fusion jazzhowbloom:: andChris OConnor:: I love rap, heavy metal, jazz, blues, opera, classical, folk, etc...I am a music nutstevepainter:: same with Rap - I like some, but that's about itMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I want to hear more rap with science lyricshowbloom:: new age musichowbloom:: oh, and heavy metalhowbloom:: especially theatrical rockstevepainter:: listen to Rush's Roll the Bones for a lame white-boy nerd raphowbloom:: like David Bowie and Alice CooperChris OConnor:: Howard - if you can fuse the message of science with music you will change the worldMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: this is making me want to go write songshowbloom:: I worked to establish these thingshowbloom:: whether I liked the music or notstevepainter:: they didn't try it againhowbloom:: because these humans had a right to beChris OConnor:: Howard - do you listen to all of that?howbloom:: and in expressing themselves they expressed and validatedhowbloom:: multitudes of othersBugteach:: thanks for your invite - Howard and Chris enjoyed the chat - Bug's out howbloom:: telling them they had a right to beMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: bye bughowbloom:: night bugstevepainter:: bye bugTimothy Schoonover:: nightChris OConnor:: Bug - I hope to see you in BookTalkNaddiaAoC:: Bye BugMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'm here till the end. I have no lifeBugteach:: thanks will do againhowbloom:: I'm glad you think that fusing music with science is importantstevepainter:: heheChris OConnor:: Bug - email mehowbloom:: I've been working on it thinking I was a lunaticBugteach:: kBugteach lefthowbloom:: so you've validated meChris OConnor:: Howard - it is something I have thought about for YEARSMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I agree, I've wanted to hear science in music for yearsMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: smart lyricshowbloom:: really? amazingChris OConnor:: Howard - you know the song "What if Gods like one of us?"howbloom:: well I've written the lyricsTimothy Schoonover:: I agree also, the best way to affect change in society is not through idealism but through the actual members of societyhowbloom:: no, the musicChris OConnor:: Howard - I listen to lyrics intenselyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: especially sociology...a lot of kids have insights that their friends don't listen toChris OConnor:: Howard - the lyrics are powerfulhowbloom:: I'm aiming for is more like queen's bohemian rhapsodyhowbloom:: who did the song?stevepainter:: a very good soundMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: if you could liberate all those insights and validate them, that would do something powerfulChris OConnor:: Howard the message can be disseminated in just about any music styleMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: the things isolated teenagers think aboutChris OConnor:: Joan Osborne?NaddiaAoC:: Chris: I heard that song on the radio the other day. It's the first time I've heard it in a long time. It used to really offend me. Now I find it amusing.howbloom:: who made it?howbloom:: how do I get it?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I thought that song was kind of poignantTimothy Schoonover:: One of my favorites has always been Bullet with Butterfly Wing by Smashing Pumpkins...a philosophical treatise in a way.Chris OConnor:: Children NEED to love reality, thirst for knowledge, think it is "cool" to be smartChris OConnor:: Howard - I will email you info on ithowbloom:: let me try to get you a Bloomism thatMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: yeah, smashing pumpkins has a vibehowbloom:: reflects the spirit I'm aiming forMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: chris--definitelyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I remember high school, I was smart. Not cool.howbloom:: it seems to fit "what if godhowbloom:: is one of us"MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: what if god was all of us?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: brb one secChris OConnor:: I will post the lyricshowbloom:: can you hang on while I depart for a second to fetch it?Timothy Schoonover:: I will hold my breath!stevepainter:: you know, lots of lyrics are "smart". I think people don't always really listen to themhowbloom:: Since there is no god, it is our job to do His work. God is not a being, he is an Since there is no god, it is our job to do His work. God is not a being, he is an Chris OConnor:: Ok, here are the lyricsNaddiaAoC:: True Steve.howbloom:: aspiration, a gift, a vision, a goal to seek. Ours is the responsibility of making a cruel MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: "We are god's hands" - JewelTimothy Schoonover:: Sometimes I think the words are irrelevant...like there is an underlying emotional message independent of actual words.Chris OConnor:: www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~har...Of_Us.htmlhowbloom:: universe turn just, of turning pains to understandings and new insights into joy, of Chris OConnor:: Surehowbloom:: creating ways to soar the skies for generations yet to come, of fashioning wings with Chris OConnor:: Steve - truehowbloom:: which our children's children shall overcome, of making worlds of fantasy materialize as MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we are cells in god's body?howbloom:: reality, of mining and transforming our greatest gifts--our passions, our imaginings, our Chris OConnor:: Damn I love music - it is a language that all cultures speakNaddiaAoC:: Tool has some interesting music. There's a lot of meaning behind their stuff.howbloom:: pains, our insecurities, and our lusts. This is the work of deity, and deity is a power that MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: let's start a booktalk band, chrisChris OConnor:: I do play the drumsChris OConnor:: LOLhowbloom:: resides in us.MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: A Perfect Circle (Tool offshoot) has some GREAT lyricshowbloom:: did that statement come throughhowbloom:: as readableMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: yes Howard...howbloom:: chopped up like this?stevepainter:: hmmm - smart people who don't believe in god - Nerds for NothingChris OConnor:: Yes, totallyMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: it reminds me of Jewel's songNaddiaAoC:: Really Michael? I'll have to check them out.howbloom:: Jewel, she impressed meChris OConnor:: Yes, this chat room chops thingsChris OConnor:: But we got ithowbloom:: she had heart , she had soulhowbloom:: I would have loved to work with herMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: music video would be a fun thing to dohowbloom:: music video is on the listChris OConnor:: Hoard - so what is the next step? ...with music?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: someday I'll have the money to do fun thingsChris OConnor:: Woops - didn't mean to call you Hoardhowbloom:: do you want to see a treatment for a nine minutehowbloom:: long history of the universeMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: sureChris OConnor:: Surehowbloom:: from the big bang to what's going on in your brain right now?howbloom:: hang on while I fetch the URLhowbloom:: howardlbloom.net\attraction_repulsion.htmMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I think you have to type othy Schoonover:: Unfortunately, the lyrics don't form a cohesive message...and it is consequently lost...at least to me anyway.howbloom:: I've typed it out from memory, so hopefully it's correctMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: can't cut and paste url in this windowhowbloom:: you can't cut and paste?Timothy Schoonover:: err don't in some songs evenChris OConnor:: I will post the URL - it can be done - one sechowbloom:: thanks, ChrisChris OConnor:: yes you can - use Control-C to copy, and Control-V to pastehowbloom:: goodhowbloom:: I think I'm about done for, how about you?howbloom:: you've given me tons of support in some areashowbloom:: where I needed itMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: that was a nice discussionhowbloom:: the music thingMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: made me want to go play some musicTimothy Schoonover:: /cheer howbloom:: the Hidden Heartbeat of AmericaChris OConnor:: Yes Howard - this was greatMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: nice meeting you Howardstevepainter:: Thanks for interacting with us Howard - I look forward to reading Global BrainChris OConnor:: Howard - I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy life for ushowbloom:: thanks guys and ladieshowbloom:: you've been terrifichowbloom:: nightChris OConnor:: Howard - am feel free to post on our boardsTimothy Schoonover:: I look forward to HHA...can't wait to see if you can deliver!!NaddiaAoC:: Howard: Thank you for coming tonight. Chris OConnor:: NightMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: night Chris OConnor:: Chris OConnor:: little plug there heheNaddiaAoC:: goodnighthowbloom leftChris OConnor:: wow - 2.5 hours - that was awesomeTimothy Schoonover:: Grats ChrisChris OConnor:: I really like himNaddiaAoC:: Wow. He really came! How cool is that?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: thanks for setting that up chrisstevepainter:: Interesting - did you get the chat transcript Chris?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: if I'm ever in your area we can play some science rock Chris OConnor:: I got it all guysstevepainter:: greatTimothy Schoonover:: I disconnected at least 2x =(NaddiaAoC:: Awesome! Great job arranging that Chris.Chris OConnor:: I really think the idea of doing something with music is incrediblehowbloom joinedMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I agreehowbloom:: chrisChris OConnor:: yes?MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: wb Howardhowbloom:: can you send me aNaddiaAoC:: Missing us already?Chris OConnor:: The transcript?howbloom:: transcript of this conversationstevepainter:: just you, Nadhowbloom:: yupChris OConnor:: Sure thing...in like 5 minuteshowbloom:: missing you allChris OConnor:: Thanks again!NaddiaAoC:: LOL SteveChris OConnor:: LOLstevepainter:: we're touched howbloom:: ok, thanks, have a good night--and one thingChris OConnor:: hahaChris OConnor:: Nighthowbloom:: I've said this before but it's remarkablequibbit lefthowbloom:: so it bears saying againhowbloom:: us idea makers are way out there in space exploring things so strange that it gets scaryChris OConnor:: Yeshowbloom:: the music/science thing is one examplehowbloom:: it makes us insecure as hellhowbloom:: so to get validation is a blessing with a power almost beyond beliefChris OConnor:: I can imagineMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: if I write any lyrics I'll send them to you HowardChris OConnor:: You are a brilliant man and you have really got us all to think deeplyhowbloom:: you've given me heart and courage to do what I was going to do with or without the juice to do itChris OConnor:: I love thinking - we all dohowbloom:: you've fueled me powerfullyChris OConnor:: that is what BookTalk is all abouthowbloom:: and I thank you enormouslyhowbloom:: night allChris OConnor:: Thank you HowardChris OConnor:: MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: we thank youChris OConnor:: NightNaddiaAoC:: Goodnight Howard.howbloom leftstevepainter:: here's an oldie but a goodie: stevepainter:: www.twin-music.com/lyrics...tural.htmlChris OConnor:: I am surprised Howard spent that time with usNaddiaAoC:: Goodnight Steve. MichaelangeloGlossolalia:: I'd like to talk to penn and teller somedayChris OConnor:: Me too Steve Chris OConnor:: LOLstevepainter:: my son is bugging me to watch this movie with everyoneChris OConnor:: waitstevepainter:: what?!?Chris OConnor:: I am posting this transcript in the Chat Central forumChris OConnor:: You can post there guysTimothy Schoonover:: damn lagMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: okChris OConnor:: If you want to further discuss thisChris OConnor:: Ok, nightMichaelangeloGlossolalia:: night allNaddiaAoC:: Watching a movie at 11:30 on a Thursday? Wow. What a cool dad.Timothy Schoonover:: night mgChris OConnor:: I will also post it in the Lucifer ForumChris OConnor:: Night guysMichaelangeloGlossolalia leftstevepainter:: they don't have school until MondayChris OConnor:: No PM's - I am copying the whole discussion right nowChris OConnor:: Bye guysTimothy Schoonover:: I don't wanna leave stevepainter: but I have to work tomorrowstevepainter: Timothy Schoonover: I really wanted to hear how he saw his conceptual capitalist societyNaddiaAoC: Ok guys. I'm going to go too. I need to make sure my kid aren't arresting.Timothy Schoonover: lol, cyaNaddiaAoC: isn'tstevepainter: 'night everyoneNaddiaAoC: Bye everyone! (stevepainter left)(NaddiaAoC left)The end. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 3:56 pm

Return to “The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History - by Howard Bloom”