• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

NON-FICTION Suggestions Needed for our JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER book discussion!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

NON-FICTION Suggestions Needed for our JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER book discussion!

Unread post

What NON-FICTION book would you like to discuss in JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER of 2012?

You must have 10 or more posts on our forums to suggest books in this thread.

Your suggestion must be NON-FICTION.

Your suggestion must be available in print and not just as an eBook.

Your suggestion must include the title, author name and a link to where we can read a book description or review

Authors can suggest their own books but make sure you say that you are the author.

We're looking for a book to discuss as a group in the months of JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER of 2012. This suggestion thread will remain open till we have sufficient suggestions to run a non-fiction poll but please don't wait long to make your suggestions.

So what do you want to read and discuss in JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER of 2012
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: NON-FICTION Suggestions Needed for our JUNE & JULY book discussion!

Unread post

I have long been a reader and admirer of Jiddu Krishnamurti: A philosopher and teacher of great intellect. I would like to propose this book for discussion, not having read this one; I would like to read it along with my friends:

Ending of Time by Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Bohm:

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=6929

Synopsis:
Penetrating dialogues between the philosopher-teacher and the renowned physicist, shedding light on the fundamental nature of existence.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you for such a thoughtful book suggestion, Penelope. :-)
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

My last pick wasn't the best, but I'll try again

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
Jonathan Haidt

http://www.amazon.com/The-Righteous-Min ... 93ACAPET5P
“Jonathan Haidt is one of smartest and most creative psychologists alive, and his newest book, The Righteous Mind, is a tour de force—a brave, brilliant and eloquent exploration of the most important issues of our time. It will challenge the way you think about liberals and conservatives, atheism and religion, good and evil. This is the book that everyone will be talking about.”—Paul Bloom, Yale University, Author of How Pleasure Works
"Haidt's research has revolutionized the field of moral psychology. This elegantly written book has far-reaching implications for anyone interested in politics, religion, or the many controversies that divide modern societies. If you want to know why you hold your moral beliefs, and why many people disagree with you, read this book". —Simon Baron-Cohen, Cambridge University, Author of The Science of Evil
Hey, he even "refutes the 'New Atheists'." There's something for everyone!
"The Righteous Mind refutes the "New Atheists" and shows that religion is a central part of our moral heritage. Haidt's brilliant synthesis shows that Christians have nothing to fear and much to gain from the evolutionary paradigm."—Michael Dowd, author of Thank God for Evolution
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Can I propose two?
I would like to re-submit The Cultural Nature of Human Development by Barbara Rogoff
http://www.amazon.com/The-Cultural-Natu ... 0195131339
or A Life Gone Awry : My Story of the Elan School. By Wayne Kernochan. Horrific that stuff like that can happen in this century
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... +gone+awry
Dexter -I’m finding last month’s choice hard going. But I’ve started and will finish.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

Iwant to add my support for Barbara Rogoff's new book. I read an earlier book of hers "Apprenticeship in Thinking" and loved it. I'd love to see where she take us with this book.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Yes I also loved 'Apprenticeship in Thinking" and would be happy to read that one again too
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Hello everyone.

I'd like to toss up for consideration: On the Origins of War: And the Preservation of Peace

This man is a celebrated author of Greek history and an active professor at Yale. The man is nothing but ancient Greece and to ask him to interpret current affairs is to ask him to come into the present - an easy task if you, like me, believe people haven't changed much at all at heart.

Have you ever read Greek literature? Have you read Athenian philosophy? It's hard not to relate to it. They weren't detached by generations - they fought the same problems we do today with life,the after-life, morals, and democracy. They are people... and their opinion is extremely valuable to me as it should be to you.

Anyway, this man, Kagan, is a conversational author and impassioned. He's influenced heavily by Thucydides and keeps to written word more than individual thought (tangents and theories... if you know what I mean).

This is the man to teach you what historians WANT you to know... so yeah, there's that with a grain of salt, right?

Anyway, I've read a couple of his books now and they're all easy going.

I don't know how this one will be... as I never suggest anything I've read before.... but here's my Gamble!!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/On-Origins-War-Pr ... 956&sr=8-3
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Awesome suggestion, Mr. President. It will be on the poll for sure. Thank you so much. :-)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

And I'll do the poll in the next day or two. I have family in from out-of-state and it has been hard to get any computer time while they've been here.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”