• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

I have asked Dr. Ridley to be our guest in the chat room

#10: Sept. - Oct. 2003 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

I have asked Dr. Ridley to be our guest in the chat room

Unread post

As soon as I have an answer I will let you all know. Cross your fingers folks. The time requested:November 6, 2003 at 9:00pm easternChris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: I have asked Dr. Ridley to be our guest in the chat room

Unread post

Dr. Ridley has accepted our invitation and will be joining us as our guest in the BookTalk chat room! November 6th won't work for him at all, so we need to find a new date/time. Please respond to this and give me some feedback folks.He doesn't want to do a weekend...so we need to stick with weekdays. Here is an idea. How do you all feel about doing it on Friday, November 27th? This is the day after Thanksgiving and most of us in the United States will have that day off from work entirely. This is the only weekday holiday during November that I can see working with our different time zones. England is 4 - 5 hours ahead of Eastern in the US. And Nov. 27th would NOT be a holiday in England.How about 10:00am eastern on Friday, November 27th? This would be 3:00pm GMT and probably convenient for Dr. Ridley.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Re: I have asked Dr. Ridley to be our guest in the chat room

Unread post

Chris27th is ok for me but the 27th is a Thursday in my diary???28th would be ok too.Peter
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Ridley chat

Unread post

I'm going to be honest and bring up something you might not have thought of. I don't like the idea of the day after Thanksgiving because I(and many others)travel to be with family since we have off work. That would make it difficult for people staying places without access or limited access to someone else's computer. However, if that day is convenient for most others I'll deal with possibly missing the chat.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Ridley chat

Unread post

PeterYes, I meant Friday the 28th I suppose. The 27th will be Thanksgiving.TaraI just don't know what to do. Matt Ridley said he is not available on the weekend and our time zone differences make this difficult. If we are going to make this chat at a time convenient for both Matt and most members it will have to be someday between 10am eastern and maybe 3pm eastern. That equates to 3:00pm GMT - 8:00pm GMT. Weekends are off limits, and most people work in the daytime. So what else can we do?Most authors we will have as guests won't be in England, so this isn't going to be a problem very often. It just so happens that Dawkins and Ridley are on the other side of the Atlantic ocean. No matter what someone has to be inconvenienced.EveryoneDoes anyone else have any comments are suggestions? Tara has a good point, but I think the 28th is still our best bet. Yes, we will have some members that cannot attend this chat session, but I think we will have even more that cannot attend a chat during the work week.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
Meme Wars
Gaining experience

Unread post

The straight answer from me:I work from Tuesday thru Saturday, 3:30am to 12 noon. For Easterner's, that means I am not available from Tues thru Sat before 3 pm. Give me time to get home and turn on computer, that will be 3:30 pm EST.I made a special exception for the Dawkins chat as he is my favorite person at this time, but it is difficult for me to make exceptions every time.And, no, we postal workers do not get the day after Thanksgiving off. Got Mail?Otherwise, I am highly flexible.Monty [email protected]
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Works well for me.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Matt and I have been discussing this and it looks like Friday the 28th around 3:00 pm eastern will be the time. I'll confirm this shortly. Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

It is confirmed. Mark your calendars folks. Friday, November 28th at 3:00pm eastern.If you know people that would enjoy this chat you are welcome to invite them. Our new chat room doesn't have any type of restrictions on the number that it can hold.Keep in mind that we use our EZBoard chat room for our Thursday night chats, but will use our larger chat room for this author chat. You get to it by clicking on the "Chat" link at the top of each page.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."

Return to “The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature - by Matt Ridley”