• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Audio intreview with Damasio

#12: Jan. - Feb. 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Kostya

Audio intreview with Damasio

Unread post

I found this on infidelguy.com (scroll down for link to the audio stream):www.infidelguy.com/modules.php?name=Dow ... SpinozaP.S. I think you have to login to infidelguy.com to get to that page and/or hear the stream. Edited by: Kostya at: 1/15/04 5:45 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Audio intreview with Damasio

Unread post

I'm listening to it now. Thanks Kostya! Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm still confused as to Spinozas beliefs. Prior to starting to read this book I thought of him as ultrareligious.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Kostya

Unread post

Quote:Thanks Kostya!You are welcome.Quote:I'm still confused as to Spinozas beliefs. Prior to starting to read this book I thought of him as ultrareligious.I did not read Damasio's book yet, but I've read some history of philosophy texts recently and the author was describing Spinoza as pretty much an atheist. Perhaps, he was as atheistic as it was possible in those days...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Yea, thats what I'm thinking. Atheism wasn't something you wore as a badge in those days. Heck, even today it gets you into trouble.This interview is great. (still listening to it) I'd like to know what Descartes believed that most contemporary neurologists take issue with. I'm sure he will get into it later in the book, but he just mentioned the disagreement in this interview.By the way...several nuerologists from UCLA and other top-notch universities have expressed an interest in getting into this book discussion. I sure hope Damasio will chat with us. No news yet.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Kostya

Unread post

Quote:I'd like to know what Descartes believed that most contemporary neurologists take issue with.I think that it is the fact that Descartes could not get away from the idea of what Dennett describes as "Central Meaner" or simply mind. Descartes believed that the only explanation for our consciousness is that there is something besides material tissue in our brain - the "mind stuff".
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

This interview does a great job of differentiating between emotions and feelings. Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Damasio is explaining now how he got into neurology. One of his philosophy professors gave him some reading material and suggested neurology. Originally, Damasio had an interest in engineering or working with cars. "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Damasio has good taste in music it seems. Mozart. Bach. He likes Jazz. "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
ecstian

Unread post

I will definitely check out this interview. I will post more once I have had the opportunity to listen to the whole thing. One thing is for sure, Spinoza's theology was not the orthodox theology of the Christianity or Judaism of his time. As was often the case, he had to keep his opinions "in the closet" or face the potential consequences. He was a "freethinker" in that he did not adhere by default to the established doctrines of those in positions of authority. Chris, I too hope that Damasio will join us for a chat.Eric

Return to “Looking For Spinoza: Joy, Sorrow, and the Feeling Brain - by Antonio Damasio”