• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Gods In Our Heads

#13: Mar. - April 2004 (Non-Fiction)
ecstian

Gods In Our Heads

Unread post

I found the quote from anthropologist Vince Sarich to be quite illuminating. Even if one believes that there is no objectively provable god of the universe, Sarich makes a good point that our lives are still greatly affected by other peoples' beliefs about god, just as if the existence of a god were objectively provable.Quote:I believe that gods exist to the extent that people believe in them. I believe that we created gods, not the other way around. But that doesn't make God any less "real". Indeed, it makes God all the more powerful. So, yes, I believe in, and maybe, to some extent fear, the God in your head, and all the gods in the heads of believers. They are real, omnipresent, and something approaching omnipotent.Eric Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 10:15 pm
Kostya

Re: Gods In Our Heads

Unread post

Excellent quote and thought. People who believe in gods right or wrong do have a profound effect on our existence. And if nothing else people who fanatically believe in anything scare the hell out of me...
Tiarella

Re: Gods In Our Heads

Unread post

One thing I've been wondering about, the past 5-10 years, is why we haven't had a major change in our religious beliefs, comparable to the shift from polytheism to monotheism.Why no new prophet, no new god? If we create our gods (and this has been my belief), why have we not produced among us a prophet whose god is a god of all the universes, of which Earth is such a miniscule part? Yes, I'm aware of some of the cults that've sprung up, and aware, too, that major religions rise from such beginnings (Yahweh was a tribal god who dwelled on one mountain, rather like Zeus; Christianity began as a Jewish cult). But none of these contemporary cults offer... a new religious paradigm. Why not? Seems odd to me - are we not ripe for it?LOL - I see you shuddering there! Giving you nightmares, am I?

Return to “How We Believe: Science, Skepticism, and the Search for God - by Michael Shermer”