• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Do you believe life exists elsewhere in the...

#14: May - June 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Do you believe life exists elsewhere in the...

Unread post

Do you believe life exists elsewhere in the cosmos?What a fascinating question. And by life do we mean intelligent and sentient creatures much like humans? I'll provide a few choices for this poll, but please feel free to elaborate on your answer. So...Do you believe life exists elsewhere in the cosmos?Results (total votes = 7):I believe life to be unique to just our planet&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspLife is rare - only simple lifeforms exist elsewhere&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspLife is rare - complex life exists including more advanced&nbsp5 / 71.4%&nbsp The universe is filled with lifeforms of all sorts&nbsp2 / 28.6%&nbsp  "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Do you believe life exists elsewhere in the...

Unread post

My answer was...The universe is filled with lifeforms of all sortsAm I sure of this? Of course I don't know this for a fact, but I am so confident I would be more than willing to gamble my very life on it right this second.With the size of the cosmos how could life not exist elsewhere? It almost seems like a mathematicl impossibility. Chris "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"
RickU

Unread post

My vote was that it's rare...but by rare I mean only to say that I don't believe life and especially advanced life forms to be a common occurence even on planets that have the correct conditions for it. The chances of (at least our type of life) the amino acids stacking in just the right manner etc...are exceedingly slim. But if it happened here, it MUST have happened elsewhere as well.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I chose #3. Life is rare, but I do think there are advanced forms out there beside us.I do not think the universe is chock full o' life, relative to the size of it all.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

When we prove that life existed on Mars we will have our life is extremely rare theory turned on its head. Or so I hope. Chris "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I chose option three. As Sagan explains in a footnote on page 31of Pale Blue Dot, "Our universe is almost incompatible with life-or at least what we understand as necessary for life... The rest is cold, radiation-riddled black vacuum". However, he does say, "almost"!
Tiarella

Unread post

I picked option 4: lifeforms of all sorts. I wasn't looking at it as 'the universe is bursting with life-forms,' but rather as 'there's life in the universe, and it comes in radically different forms.' Of course I could easily be wrong!

Return to “Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - by Carl Sagan”