• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Alcoholic Irony

#14: May - June 2004 (Non-Fiction)
SunSprite86

Alcoholic Irony

Unread post

This footnote in Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan) struck me as some wonderful ironic humor:Quote:[the product of fermentation] - a biochemical imperfection exploited by the beer, wine, and liquor industries, which profitably manufacture this addictive and dangerous drug, C2H5OH [ethanol]. Millions of people worldwide die from imbibing it each year. Or, looked at another way, distillers have been exploited by the fermenting bacteria and yeast, who have gotten us to arrange for their growth and reproduction on a worldwide, industrial scale -- because we love to drink ourselves senseless on microbial wastes. If they could speak, perhaps they would boast about how cleverly they've domesticated the humans.I'd love to go quote that to my dad who has a lifelong habit of overindulging in those "microbial wastes." Karen

Return to “Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - by Carl Sagan”