• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The X-prize

#14: May - June 2004 (Non-Fiction)
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

The X-prize

Unread post

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the X-Prize, it's essentially a reward to the first private group to design a reusable space vehicle.How do you think this will affect the human future in space? Do you think that taking the matter away from the government is necessarily a beneficial thing? Do you think private groups will be the first to other planets, or will projects on that scale require the limitless funds of a government regardless of the cost of spaceflight?I personally envision something like the human genome project, where a government and private group collaborate in a competitive manner to reach Mars or other planetary bodies. I think if our eggs aren't in one basket, we've got a better chance of achieving our goals than if we let a bureaucracy try and pull off another moonshot.
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Thin band of blue

Unread post

RickU

Re: The X-prize

Unread post

I would concur. We also need to have long term goals. Moving heavy industry off planet should be one of those. Mining the belt another. Would it be feasible to scoop hydrogen from Saturn or Jupiter?How about permanent self sustaining settlements w/in the solar system? Right now we are pretty aimless. We're just achieving scientific goals (which is still great, but it doesn't give the public much vision)
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: The X-prize

Unread post

HERE is an article about another contestant. I like the pilot's spirit.

Return to “Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - by Carl Sagan”