• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Why has this book not generated much discussion?

#17: Nov. - Dec. 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Why has this book not generated much discussion?

Unread post

This book has generated less activity than almost every other BookTalk selection. I'm wondering where we went wrong and why so few people are reading and discussing it.Any feedback would be appreciated. Take the poll and then make a post and share your feelings. It sure would be appreciated. What has been the problem? Does this topic bore you? Why did this book win the poll, yet not generate discussion?Your comments will help us figure out how to maximize the activity and interest of our book discussions. The books we read and discuss are supposed to be the main focus of the community! Results (total votes = 9):I'm not interested in this particular book&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspI've been too busy to participate&nbsp5 / 55.6%&nbsp I post in forums other than the book forums&nbsp2 / 22.2%&nbsp I'm reading it, but not posting for my own reasons&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspI'm illiterate and only come here for the good looking admin&nbsp2 / 22.2%&nbsp 
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Why has this book not generated much discussion?

Unread post

I too am interested in finding out why this book hasn't generated much discussion. The book is interesting and I am not illiterate! I haven't finished the book. I have been pretty busy. Not finishing the book is probably the main reason why I haven't posted much on it. I did make a post or two though. I will try to finish reading it soon and make more posts.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

It's silly for me to say that I'm too busy, as I post here almost every day. But I usually have about an hour in the mornings and an hour late at night where I come to open or close my gym. During that time, I come online and see if anyone has replied in the philosophy forums. The rest of the time I'm out checking on my other businesses. Also, I bought a few philosophy books and am reading through them. How We Believe by Michael Shermer is one, you guys have already gone through that one, I'm just trying to get up to speed. I usually read about an hour a night, a book a week, and my pile is getting short enough so I can fit in the books for future discussions. If no one has read the book yet, I'd recommend "Man is the Measure" by Rueben Abel for next month. It's somewhat of an introduction to philosophy and is very comprehensive. I've just started it, so I'd be able to participate in any discussions of it.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

InterbaneI added that book suggestion to the Book Suggestion forum. Lately I've been pretty busy too. If we can get this discussion up over 100 quality posts I'll call Dr. Wilson and see about getting him in a chat session after the holidays.Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/13/04 9:11 am
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

I've made a few fairly substantial efforts to summarize the initial chapters to this very important book, and look forward to engaging the conversation as time permits.I wonder if part of the lack of interest is reflected in a primary component of Wilson's thesis in the book: that Science carries a major portion of the responsibility for our Biospheric Bottleneck?I also wonder if it could be Wilson's open-ness to employ theological terms like "miracle" and "creation" as part of his efforts to find a solution that incorporates the "wisdom of the heart"?Furthermore, I wonder if there is difficulty in accepting America's role as the dominant economic engine that is fueling the eradication of our Biosphere?I am finding the book to be simply delightful reading, as well as terrifying in its diagnoses.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

I'm snowed under at the moment. It is coming up to end up term. I've got exams and essays due. I've read over 30 books etc. over the last few weeks. I really didn't have energy to read another. And with Christmas coming up, I was pretty stuck for cash anyway. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Niall:What do you think about limiting the # of books we read to four per year and having a three month discussion period? Would that have helped you any?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

All things considered, it would probably suit better. Though there is a certain part of me that wants to get through as many books as possible. It is more practical though. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

I think limiting the books to four per year will allow for more detailed and thorough discussion of a few texts, with less rush to get on to the next book; but will also limit the amount of authors we are able to talk with and ideas to explore.The more books we read, the greater the diversity of topics and issues we are able to tackle.Still, if nobody participates, then simply increasing the number of authors is of no consequence.So, will decreasing the number of authors actually increase readers?We can always try it and see...if it works, keep it; if it don't, change it.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Several chapters of same old, same old, completely lost my interest. The blurb touts what an optimist Wilson is but the data show an overbred species screaming down the highway to extinction, dragging millions of other species with us. Frankly, I feel totally helpless to do anything meaningful about it and don't see any point in making myself miserable by rubbing my face in it yet again. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984

Return to “The Future of Life - by Edward O. Wilson”