• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 4 - The Planetary Killer

#17: Nov. - Dec. 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 4 - The Planetary Killer

Unread post

This thread is for discussing Ch. 4 - The Planetary Killer. You can post within this framework or create your own threads.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
SunSprite86

Re: Ch. 4 - The Planetary Killer

Unread post

Emi, the Sumatran rhino mentioned in this chapter, has given birth to her second calf. She is the only Sumatran rhino to breed and give birth in captivity in over 100 years.Web-cam of Emi and her babySumatran Rhinos at Cincinnati ZooThe zoo has good information on rhino conservation efforts.Karen
SunSprite86

Unread post

I've talked about invasive species with my students in environmental science (high school). Wish I could get a copy of Steve Irwin's episodes of "Outlaws of the Outback." Still, I had not thought to apply that particular terminology to mankind. It fits, though. Earlier this year, my mother treated me to a trip to Ohahu and Kauai. It's really sad to think that most of the flora seen there is not really indigenous. Wish I were in good enough physical shape for a trip to Madagascar. It's obscene to think that so many of those species may become extinct during our lifetime.
jerkinabottle

Unread post

I know that this is out of topic, but has anyone ever read any non-fiction books by David Brin? His website is at www.davidbrin.com. He has a lot of very interesting essays located there.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not familiar with him.Chris
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Hurray for Emi !

Unread post

Thanks for the web cam link, SunSprite86! I got to see Emi's baby Suci...Yay! Here's a photo!Neat to see E. O. Wilson write about Edward Maruska, former director of the Cincinnati Zoo. Edited by: LanDroid at: 12/15/04 8:51 pm

Return to “The Future of Life - by Edward O. Wilson”