• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Question 4: Have your views of Islam changed after reading?

#18: Jan. - Mar. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Question 4: Have your views of Islam changed after reading?

Unread post

Were you surprised to learn that Islam treated Christians and Jews as a "protected minority" (dhimmi)? Did Armstrong's description of the history of Islam change the way you view the Islamic world as it is depicted in news media and popular entertainment today?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Question 4: Have your views of Islam changed after readi

Unread post

Jews spent much more time as best friends of Muslims than as enemies. No, the time of mutual benefit doesn't surprise me; what shocks me every day is how these two natural allies ramp up the rhetoric and hate every day. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I have always given Islam the same credence I give the other religions: they are no worse than the others. So no, my views of Islam have not changed a bit...they are as rational and understanding as they always were.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Swamy Maximus

Unread post

Historically, Jews were treated better by Muslims than by Christians. But judging the rhetoric and polls that come from Arab/muslim states today, I'd say Muslims are pretty close to becoming Nazi-like in their anti-semitism. Not all of them, obviously. But a significant % that certainly should cause one to raise an eyebrow. Today the adherents of Islam, as a group (Read: individuals of Islam may be better than certain individuals of Christianity) are worse than Christians. I'm not sure what, other than a purely emotional response, could cause one to believe otherwise.

Return to “The Battle for God - by Karen Armstrong”