• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

e-interview questions for Karen Armstrong

#18: Jan. - Mar. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

e-interview questions for Karen Armstrong

Unread post

e-interview questions for Karen ArmstrongPlease post your questions to Karen Armstrong in this thread. You're welcome to use this thread to discuss the e-interview process, or anything pertaining to the questions you see people posting, but when it comes to forming your actual questions please make them relevant and grammatically correct. Or do your very best...please! We can all discuss the list of questions as they grow and tweak and finalize the list right before I email them to Ms. Armstrong.Please don't wait till the last minute to contribute your questions. Many people seem to wait for other members to "break the ice" and won't post anything first. I'm going to give $500 (imaginary, invisible, and edible) to whoever takes the plunge and posts a decent question or two here. Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: e-interview questions for Karen Armstrong

Unread post

The following BookTalk members have been active in this discussion:misterpessimisticKen HemingwayMadArchitectJeremy1952ScrumfishYellowlightMeme WarsCaptainobfuscationDissident HeartRickUirondemonPersonOfFaithjerkinabottleI'd love to have a dozen questions to present to Karen Armstrong in the next week. We want to give her time to respond and not be too deep into the next book, so someone break the ice and post a question or two. Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Sheesh...I have almost stopped reading due to my shit...How about this:Do you really believe that mythos and logos are two distinctly different paradigms and do you think that they can and do exist together?Do you think that mythos and logos always exist together and the one just dominates the other in a given era?Do you see the eventual demise of religion at any point in the next century? At all?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks Nick!Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Amazon.com had a copy of The Battle for God on CD audio book for only $19.99. Now I own it. I love listening to our BookTalk selections while driving.Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Due to the apparent lack of interest in asking Karen questions I'm going to drop the issue of an e-interview. If interest is rekindled I'll go for it.Chris
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I had thought that I was going to abstain from participating in the interview -- mostly because I was worried that any question I would ask might come off as antagonistic, given my objections to her thesis -- but should the interview become a viable option again, you might consider offering the following question. I don't know if it's really fair asking Armstrong to comment on something written by another author, but when I read the passage that I quote below, I thought almost immediately about the e-interview. Here's the question:In his long essay "Notes Towards the Definition of Culture", T.S. Eliot writes: "There are, however, some grounds for believing that the elimination of an upper class at a more developed stage can be a disaster for a country: and most certainly when that removal is due to the intervention of another nation." The parallels with our current occupation of Iraq are obvious. Firstly, do you agree with Eliot's statement. And secondly, what do you think will be some of the potential consequences of wholesale regime change in Iraq, even given that the previous regime was decidedly oppressive? Thirdly, what part do you think religion ought to play or is likely to play?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

MadAs an active BookTalk member you are just as entitled to ask Karen questions as someone who completely agrees with her thesis. For the record, I disagree with the majority of her views. I've just been too damn busy to actively contribute on the book forum. Fortunately, our book forums are on-going, and when things slow down in my personal life a bit I'll be making some posts stating where I differ with Ms. Armstrong.PS My main problem is how she treats mythos and logos as equally valid approaches to life. This burns me up and I promise to discuss it in depth soon.C[/i] Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/21/05 4:08 pm
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Yeah...I tore Civilization and its Enemies apart and I still showed up at the chat with Harris! Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “The Battle for God - by Karen Armstrong”