• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Harris/Armstrong/Hiatus

#18: Jan. - Mar. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Harris/Armstrong/Hiatus

Unread post

I'm about halfway through Armstrong and I'm going to take a break and read Harris, The End of Faith. One reason is that I'm reading Harris with the brights, who meet every month. The other is that the 27th version of "god shaped hole in the modern spirit" is going to make me barf. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Harris/Armstrong/Hiatus

Unread post

Just out of interest, who is reading the book and plans to participate in the discussion?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I am reading and will participate...but it has been slower going than I hoped.I have written a response to your chapter 1 Mad, but decided it sounded too confrontational, which was not my intention in any way shape or form...so I need to take time and revise it.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I'm looking forward to reading your response, Mr. P. I was beginning to think no one was interested.I've finished chapters 2 and 3, and will be posting my thoughts about those soon, but I got sidetracked in a few other discussions, and probably won't have time this afternoon.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Your posts tend toward the verbose!!! So it takes me a while to digest and formulate responses! I am halfway through chapter 2...there is interest here, I have no choice as I am discussion leader! I just hope OTHERS start posting soon!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
yellowlight

still in

Unread post

I am still reading - into Chapter 2 - trying to find time to respond to your post on Chapter 1, Mad. Sorry my classes started this week and am working toward a reorganization of time. But I still am finding the book interesting if nothing but the historical perspective.Mr. P, now that I have read more of your posts, am growing rather attached to your "bring it on" approach. Makes me more resolved to telling my point of view with strictly rational views and not allow my personal beliefs become an obstacle. So in other words, perhaps you should just say what you observe (with a preface that it is not personal - if you really think it could be construed as confrontational).It could makes things more lively.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: still in

Unread post

I am reading also. I have have some half-formulated responses, but I needed some books that were still packed so I rearranged the living room and started piling up books in stacks according to subject, and then I decided to vacuum the incredibly dusty radiators which turned into a long dust-bunny battle....so I haven't found the books I was looking for yet. I think my sister has my Middle East History books, but I know my Sociology one is in there someplace. I'm also going to dig out my English-Arabic dictionary and look into some of the Arabic words that are scattered throughout the second chapter.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

yellow:Why thank you. I do like to just throw things out there and see what happens...even if I am wrong or may hurt someone's feelings. Although my comments are NEVER personal...at all.I will refine my responses and make sure they are what I want to say and then post them then.Let me say this...I have NO problem with Armstrong's offering. I think she presents enough historical info to further her thesis. I do not think she is leading the outcome with liberal or other bias. I think she DOES have much credibility, what with being a nun and experiencing a strict and restrictive faith. I find her honest and her ideas stimulating.I like the mythos/logos approach. I have always said that religion is pure mythology, the believers of which are trying to turn it into a reality for us all...problem is, there are so many myths. Which is right? All or none is the best answer I can give.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Ken Hemingway

Unread post

Scrumfish wrote: I'm also going to dig out my English-Arabic dictionary and look into some of the Arabic words that are scattered throughout the second chapter. I'd point out for everyone's convenience that there is a pretty good glossary in the back of Armstrong's book.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes, thanks Ken...the back of the book is chock full of various info!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “The Battle for God - by Karen Armstrong”