• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

How are we to live?

#19: Apr. - June 2005 (Non-Fiction)
BonnieTyler

How are we to live?

Unread post

I feel that Collapse is just one more premise to support the argument that people do better individually when they are working in harmony with those (all organisms) outside them. I'm out of time but I think the implications of Collapse may be "huger" than I had previously imagined.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: How are we to live?

Unread post

I think the only certain answer you can draw is, "not as we do."
MichaelangeloGlossolalia

Unread post

I think the great flaw in our culture is that when we consider the "big picture", we're actually pretty reasonable. But in making day to day decisions, the big picture is nowhere to be found. Context is severed. Any organism that doesn't take context into account has a very limited range of adaptation. Same with societies. So we'll buy the cheapest, most convenient products until the consequences are unbearable, and then our kids will ask, "Daddy? What were you thinking?"
BonnieTyler

Unread post

yah da yah da yah
BonnieTyler

Unread post

Oops! I'm laughing because that looks really rude. I'm a novice on these things. I wrote my response in the SUBJECT bar, then wrote yah dah 'cause I had to write something there. Again I'm out of time!!! Thanx for thoughtful responses - back soon -Bonnie
BonnieTyler

Uh, er

Unread post

Well if I don't keep up on this my fans will lose interest!In response to MichaelangeloG.- is that a fact about organisms and adaptability? It would make sense. And in general to both respondants - do you agree with Diamond's argument? Or I should say - what about it makes the most sense to you? B.T.W 1) my name is not Bonnie Tyler and no I did not write Total Eclipse of the Heart and 2) the title of this thread I stole from Peter Singer, a philosopher who wrote a book w/ the same title. I would like to see Diamand & Singer talk about stuff.

Return to “Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed - by Jared Diamond”