• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Freethought Quote that speaks volumes!

#20: July - Sept. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Freethought Quote that speaks volumes!

Unread post

"Freethinkers reject faith as a valid tool of knowledge. Faith is the opposite of reason because reason imposes very strict limits on what can be true, and faith has no limits at all. A Great Escape into faith is no retreat to safety. It is nothing less than surrender." Dan Barker - "Losing Faith in Faith"Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Freethought Quote that speaks volumes!

Unread post

I like it.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

This is exactly what the issue is about. If you look at the back of cars, for years christians have been putting the 'fish' symbol on the back. Then rationalist came out with a 'Darwin' eating the fish. The response is to have 'truth' eat 'Darwin'. This seems to be an endgame, after all, what could/should eat 'truth'? But it is a great example of how the right is stealing the conversation by hook or by crook. What kind of 'truth' is that? It is in fact NOT truth, but belief. And you know what? I don't mind if you believe that your god knows more that Darwin. This country is founded on freedom of concience. However, I DO mind if you want to teach your belief in schools as truth. Or pass laws that codify your morality as something I have to follow.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Yes Gino...truth is a perplexing subject indeed...and who is to say that anyone holds the truth. But when Faith is masqueraded as truth, it irks me...especially when the wolf in sheeps clothing is then turning it's gaze upon my children.Maybe there is no real truth, which I state only for the argument, but it should be acknowledged that some claims to truth are more substantial than others, and on the scale of substantiveness, Faith is but the first rung of the ladder.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism - by Susan Jacoby”