• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

references to states

#20: July - Sept. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

references to states

Unread post

I am only on p 42, but have already found references to the two states I have lived in. On p 27 Jacoby tells us how a NC minister felt about the abolition of religious tests for officeholders by quoting him saying, "an invitation for Jews and pagans of every kind to come among us." That's a nice little quote from a closed-minded bigot in NC. On p 38 Jacoby discusses how while in NJ, Paine wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls." Those are stirring words written by a freethinking patriot, and later read by Washington in NJ. The quotes are old, but the sentiments of the people then, continue to thrive today. It is interesting how these quotes help illustrate the way I feel about my former and current places of residency. I will always be a proud Jersey Girl. When asked, "Where are you from?" I respond, "I am originally, from NJ, but live in NC now." I have lived in NC for seven years now and if I live here seventy more I will probably still respond in kind! I just thought I'd share my thoughts...Feel free to post on any references to where you live/have lived that you find in Freethinkers!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: references to states

Unread post

NJ and NY here!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: references to states

Unread post

taravQuote:I will always be a proud Jersey Girl.. . . and I remain a New Yorker, through and through. It sometimes weirds me out a little that my son is a Missouri native, it seems impossible but it's true. I suppose I will have to give up the traditional New Yorker attitude toward New Jersey if I'm ever to be bread on a tarav Sandwich, but I'll never forgive the state for stealing the Statue of Liberty.I was chatting irl with another native New Yorker who related a story about talking to friends in NY who asked "when he was coming back from Wisconsin". Now these people write "St. Louis, Missouri" on Christmas cards every year . . . and still not only confused Wisconsin with Missouri, but didn't understand why Douglas had a problem with it. That, my friends, is New Yorkers for you! If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984

Return to “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism - by Susan Jacoby”