• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Elihu

#20: July - Sept. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Elihu

Unread post

On p 30 Jacoby quotes Elihu praising our founding fathers for refusing to, "dazzle even the superstitious by a hint about grace or ghostly knowledge". As I read it, I thought his name worthy of noting and marked the page. Then, on p 54 Jacoby quotes Elihu Palmer on the immaculate conception commenting that, "it would not, it is presumed, be difficult in any age or country, to find a sufficient number of men, who would pretend to be ghosts, if by some pretensions they could obtain similar favors". I was laughing out loud at that comment! I immediately thumbed back to my sticky note to see if it was the same man I had enjoyed reading quotes from earlier. However, the earlier quote was from someone who signed "Elihu" only(no Palmer). When Jacoby discusses Elihu Palmer later, she does not refer to his earlier quotes or present him as if we had already read about him. I wonder if he is the same man. Maybe the name Elihu was popular for reasonable, enjoyably sarcastic men back then... I will keep that name in mind. I must find a way to make use of that name! Maybe that's what I'll name my next dog.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Elihu

Unread post

I was very amused by that quote too. It speaks volumes about the idiocy of the Immaculate Conception story.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Megaeraa

Unread post

I also laughed out loud over that quote and over several others throughout that apply commonsense logic to biblical miracles. Puts a whole new twist on things. And those plates from Heston's _The Bible Comically Illustrated_ are a hoot! I'd love to take a look at the whole thing.-- Meg
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Elihu Palmer

Unread post

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.Elihu Palmer was an ex-Baptist minister who made an effort to organize Deism by forming the "Deistical Society of New York." Palmer wrote the "Principles of Nature" (1801) as follows:The universe proclaims the existence of one supreme Deity, worthy of the adoration of intelligent beings. Man is possessed of moral and intellectual faculties sufficient for improvement of nature, and the acquisition of happiness. The religion of nature is the only universal religion; that it grows out of the moral relations of intelligent beings, and it stands connected with the progressive improvement and common welfare of the human race. It is essential to the true interest of man, that he love truth and practice virtue. Vice is every where ruinous and destructive to the happiness of the individual and of society. A benevolent disposition, and beneficient actions, are fundamental duties of rational beings. A religion mingled with persecution and malice cannot be of divine origin. Education and science are essential to the happiness of man. Civil and religious liberty is essential to his interests. There can be no human authority to which man ought to be amenable for his religious opinions. Science and truth, virtue and happiness, are the great objects to which the activity and energy of human faculties ought to be directed. Retrieved from "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elihu_Palmer" The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Megaerra- I finally read the page that refers to Heston's The Bible Comically Illustrated. Unfortunately, I could not see the plates you mention because I have the paperback. I am happy to report that I ran a search and found a site that shows 13 of Watson Heston's pictures. One can see these hilarious cartoons at: www.texaschapbookpress.com/magellanslog ... nintro.htm. I also found that one can purchase the book at bibliopolis.com for $250. If anyone is in a charitable mood, I'll be happy to accept it as a gift! LOL Also, Chris will be happy to know that this topic with Megaerra's post was third in the search findings! Here are some highlights from Heston's cartoons... In "The Ten Commandments" number 6 reads, "Thou shalt not kill, except peradventure it be a heretic or one who differs from thee on religion"! In "Errant Teaching" there is mention of Ingersoll. In "Jesus and Money, How Christians Heed the Teachings of Jesus", bags of money are labeled, "money saved by tax-dodging" and "money for masses wrung from dupes and fools"! In "Revelations and Maimens", there is eye salve for sale! I recommend a look at these for a good laugh. Feel free to comment on your favorite, or most detested Heston cartoon. Edited by: tarav at: 8/7/05 3:12 pm
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I'd be interested to find out if it's the Elihu Palmer or a pseudonym for a political writer. It was common practice during that age to write under a pseudonym derived from classical literature. I suspect it is a pen name, if only because it's pretty unorthodox for an author to refer to a historical figure by their first name only. If that's the case and it a pen name, then I can point you to the source for the name -- Elihu is the name of the fourth interrogator in "The Book of Job", which (ahem, plug) we're reading in the Bible thread in "Additional Book Discussions". Given the context, it's an interesting choice for a pen name.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes...as with Publius for the Federalist Paper (ahem...plug). Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

And, um, MadArchitect (ahem, bad plug).
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I said, "Unfortunately, I could not see the plates you mention because I have the paperback". Oops! The plates are in my paperback! They are in a different chapter than the one in which the plates are mentioned though! I finally read on into the next chapter and there they were! There are only three plates in the book. I would still recommend going to the site I mentioned earlier to see more of them.MadArchitect- It would be interesting to know if that is a pen name. I will check out the Bible thread to look for any mention of Elihu too.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I don't mind making it easy for you. Elihu is the fourth interlocuter in The Book of Job, just before the appearance of God. But by all means check out the Bible thread. We've got some dialogue going already, but I'd love to see more and more people join in.

Return to “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism - by Susan Jacoby”