• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Did you take the Moral Sense Test?

#21: Oct. - Dec. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
ginof
Sophomore

Did you take the Moral Sense Test?

Unread post

In Chapter 9, there is an example of a moral test. The footnote refers to this link: moral.wjh.harvard.edu/I thought it would be interesting for us to take the test and post our scores for the 'means' vs. 'ends' test that is given. According to the authors, a 10 is a 'means' person and a 0 is an 'ends' person. Personally, I didn't see that in the test, but......BTW, my score was a 6.1
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Did you take the Moral Sense Test?

Unread post

I like these tests. I've taken Harvard's implicit association test too. While I don't necessarily feel that these tests define aspects of your personality accurately, it is fun to see how you do. I scored a 9.1 on this moral sense test. I am far from the average of 6.1. This suggests that I am more concerned with the means, rather than the ends.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Did you take the Moral Sense Test?

Unread post

I scored a 6.3. But frankly, I think this sort of test reveals very little about a person's moral sense. I found myself thinking, thoughout the test, that moral choice was difficult not because the scenario's pose complex problems but because the restrictions placed on moral choice were so contrived that morality hardly seemed to apply. These are the sort of trick questions the philosophers dwell on to amuse themselves, but lifeboat ethics isn't necessarily a good way to determine a person's moral tendencies.

Return to “The Ethical Brain - by Michael Gazzaniga”