• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ethical Brain: Chapter 2

#21: Oct. - Dec. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ethical Brain: Chapter 2

Unread post

This thread is for discussing Ch. 2 - The Aging Brain. You can post within this framework or create your own threads. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 11/1/05 12:30 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Ch. 2 - The Aging Brain

Unread post

I found some of the statistics in Ch. 2 rather fascinating. On pg. 23 Gazzaniga shows us how our bodies are living longer and longer, yet our brains aren't able to keep up to speed.In 1900 only 4.1% of the population was over the age of 65.By the middle of the century the percentage was up to 8%.Soon it will reach 15%. I'm curious how many people lived past 65 back in ancient Greece or Rome. Anyone have a clue?
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

The statistic I found that was disturbing is about the prevalence of Alzheimer's. On p 26 Gazzaniga reports that, "One in every four Americans over the age of 85 has Alzheimer's...". That is depressing. It makes living into your 80's a little scary. My brain deteriorating is the scariest thing to me. My life is so much about what I can do with my mind, rather than my body. I will engage in mental activity over physical activity any day! I know Gazzaniga says that along with your mental capacity, your cognition goes, but the people around you are still aware of what you're losing. I hope that something fatal goes wrong with some other part of my body, before dementia sets in. I know... such morbid thoughts...but remember, I did start by saying, "That is depressing"!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Chris, I can't think of any reasonable way to calculate the average life-span of an ancient Greek -- as far as I know, the Greeks didn't take a census, so we're left with very few records on the lifespan of the ancients. I can, however, point you to H.D.F. Kitto's consideration of the topic in his book "The Greeks". He compares the recorded life spans of ten famous Victorians to that of ten famous Greeks, and the Greeks come off comparatively better. Three lived into their nineties, and only one died younger than 70, at the tragically young age of 60. The average of those ten comes to 89.9.There are a few qualifications to bear in mind, though. Those are famous Greeks, so the fact of their choice has some effect on the statistic we have in mind -- after all, those who die at an early age have fewer opportunities to arrive at fame. That said, amoung the famous Victorians with which Kitto compares them, four died in their 30s and one died at the age of 26, so it doesn't necessarily hold true that only the old are likely to become famous. But even assuming that the Greeks did live longer than the Victorians -- and perhaps as long, if not longer, than most modern Americans -- you have to bear in mind that they were living in an extremely temperate physical environment.I had written a fairly in-depth post on this chapter, and I thought that I had posted and checked it, but it doesn't appear to be here anymore, so maybe I screwed up somewhere. Fortunately, I've been writing discussion notes in long hand, so I should be able to reproduce the basic points I wanted to make.I'll try to get back to that in a minute.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Okay, my initial reactions to Chapter 2:1. Does anyone else feel some misgivings about Gazzaniga's statement on page 27: "In some horrendous sense, they are no longer even members of our species, if being a member requires one to pass basic mental tests of competency"? Now, clearly Gazzaniga himself feels edgy about this point of view, but at the same time he does very little to discredit it. It seems like one of those gut reactions he mentions, but doesn't it require some corrective? It seems like a potentially unfortunate statement, one that could easily be prevailed upon by those looking to justify what we might otherwise regard as unethical behavior. If nothing else, it requires a hard and fast criteria for what standards we'll apply to the question of a subject's humanity, and I'm not sure that Gazzaniga has at all equipped us to address that question. Dementia patients, the mentally handicapped, victims of neurological trauma, the profoundly stupid -- it isn't at all a hypothetical question to ask where we draw the line. And at some point we have to get back to the basic question of why the question of humanness should hinge on mental capacity at all.2. The last issue brings us to a more general observation, which is that Gazzaniga's opinion seems to be heavily influenced by the assumption of normitive states. The fully developed dementia case is not a normative state, but should that fact of its deviation from the norm render it susceptible to a difference in moral status? Even if "some sublime inner state" is unavailable to the Alzheimer's patient, are we justified in regarding them as less human? Eventually, the question has to be argued back to the point of who ought to be given the power to determine what are and are not the normative states, and how radically different a person must be to fall out of the protection of our ethical standards.3. At least for the moment, Gazzaniga is right that "research on ageing that seeks eternal life is not the issue." (p. 30) The issue, it seems to me, is the control of life, and along with it, the control of death. Because, the more that evade the circumstances of a natural death, the more we're forced to consider the circumstances under which it is ethical to intentionally end life. What is a good death? And by extension, what is an unethical life -- that is, when is it unethical to continue living, or stickier still, to allow someone to live?4. Methodological complaint: is Gazzaniga going to make a habit of justifying his opinions by analogy to inanimate objects? In the last chapter it was Home Depot; in this chapter it's "Nelly" the car. Such analogies function by allowing us to see human subjects as mere objects -- that will presumably allow us to view them without irrational biases -- but doesn't ethics begin by assuming that humans are somehow distinct as a class of objects? There's a serious danger, I think, in confusing the issue with analogies like these.5. I've brought this point up in the euthanasia poll, but I'll bring it up here again. If society has an obligation to "allow a dignified method for ending life for those with terminal or totally debilitating diseases" (p. 33), shouldn't it also allow suicide under all circumstances? What about physical impairment confers on the desire to die a moral or ethical status that is denied to the otherwise healthy person?6. Finally, I wanted to raise the question of how Gazzaniga's discussion of intent in the previous chapter plays into his ethical considerations in this chapter. Are they consistent or even compatible? For example, if, neurologically speaking, a senile demential patient could be viewed as equivalent to an early stage of embryonic development, how difficult would it be to rationalize an argument for performing scientific experiments on patients with a certain degree of mental deteriation, with or without a "living will" type declaration?
ginof
Sophomore

Re: Ethical Brain: Chapter 2

Unread post

p 20 - Can neuroscience tell us at what moment self-consciousness ends?I don't think so: isn't this like asking what color is like to another person? We can all agree that red is red, but there is no way for me to know that you experience red the same way I do. Isn't self-consciousness the same kind of perception?
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Ethical Brain: Chapter 2

Unread post

Yeah, a lot probably depends on how you define self-consciousness or awareness. Science probably will come up with an answer to the question of when awareness ends, but in order to do so it may begin by redefining what that term means. This happens a lot in the sciences, and a lot of time we as laypersons tend to adopt the answers without really being aware that the terms of the question have changed.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

Mad: Does anyone else feel some misgivings about Gazzaniga's statement on page 27: "In some horrendous sense, they are no longer even members of our species, if being a member requires one to pass basic mental tests of competency"?When I first read the statement, I didn't have any issues with it. But in reading it in context and with your questions, I agree with your point. He hasn't given us the tools to make that judgement. Perhaps he's talking about those that are clearly way over the edge. Perhaps those completely unable to function are not truely human. However, I don't know that we would take away any rights they have as humans.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

Mad: If society has an obligation to "allow a dignified method for ending life for those with terminal or totally debilitating diseases" (p. 33), shouldn't it also allow suicide under all circumstances? What about physical impairment confers on the desire to die a moral or ethical status that is denied to the otherwise healthy person?While I don't buy the argument that allowing suicide for all detracts from us as humans, I do see logic in his statement. Specifically, he says it should be allowed for those with terminal or totally debilitating diseases. Unfortunately, those in qualify are usually suffering quite a bit of pain. Additionally, your 'normal' state today may not wish to deal with a 'abnormal' state tomorrow. I guess my thought experiment around this would be: If you knew that tomorrow you would no longer be able to communicate and you would die six months later, and during this 6 months you would be in a lot of pain, further, there was no chance of cure, would you want to die? I'm not sure, but I think I would. At the very least, many would seriously consider it.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I caught the end of a docudrama that reminded me of this thread. A teenager with a terminal illness refuses to take his medicine since the medicine lessened his quality of life. He was taken from his mom when doctors realized the boy quit taking his pills. The boy went to court arguing that he'd rather live less days and enjoy the days he lives at home rather than take the pills(which caused horrible side-effects) to live more days miserably. The boy reiterated such a response even when the judge pointed out that there's a potential for the boy to have a change of heart and want to live as long as he can, regardless of the horrible side-effects induced by the pills. It certainly is a sad situation for all involved. I can understand the position of the boy. Is not taking the pills suicide? The boy will die without the pills. However, the boy will also die with taking the pills, eventually. If this is suicide, then should this action(or rather, inaction)be illegal? If you think the mom is the one responsible, then is this assisted suicide? If you think this is assisted suicide, then should this assisted suicide be illegal?

Return to “The Ethical Brain - by Michael Gazzaniga”