• In total there are 16 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

When choosing a new read.

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
jdejeu
Official Newbie!

When choosing a new read.

Unread post

Even though some people are part of book clubs. I'm sure there are books out there that are not already being read by them, that you just have to dig into. I myself, when looking for something to pass my idle time, sometimes cannot decide on what to read. I find it difficult to walk into a used book store, a library or search online and just get the one. I always end up having a bag full of books and sitting/standing by my bookshelf thinking, "Alright, which one first"? I often tend to rely on word of mouth, stick to the same authors for a little while, or wait until something pops up that interests me.

I would like to know; what is it that draws your attention to some books, and not others? Also, what is it that you look for when finding something to read, whether it is for vacation, public transit, or a lazy day?

Please share your thoughts, as this is something that has interested me for a while.
Punter
Getting Comfortable

Re: When choosing a new read.

Unread post

While first of all I don't follow any pattern while choosing a book. Of course word of mouth is important but I just spend time in bookstore analyzing each and every book, then I try to find about as much as about the author because for me it is important to read book from a good author. If a author strikes me than I go for the next one from the author. Friends opinion also matter. As per for when to read a book doesn't matter for me as I must need a book in my hand, as I try to read for at least 1 hour daily.
ScotsNews
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hello jdejeu,
I always choose books from which I can learn something - usually history-based, biographies or stories of someone's experience. I don't read fantasy or sci-fi but I understand those genres appeal to other people. So, to answer your question, when I choose books they have to be entertaining but informative.
cheers
Carmel
http://www.amazon.com/Ours-Yours-Mines- ... +and+mines
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I used to like books from which I could learn something, and I used to like histories and biographies best, but now with the shortage of stores available to me, I just look at whether they have won or been nominated for any prizes. I have found a lot of new authors this way. Also go by word of mouth, though still am not very keen on science fiction
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I must admit that with advancing age and its attendants (reduced eyesight for one), when I visit our local library, I first check out the large-print section. Unfortunately, this is somewhat limited (small town - small library). I can still read 'regular' print. I usually check the new acquisitons shelf first, and then the science-fiction collection.

One advantage of technology, I have a Kindle e-book reader, which allows me to increase the print size of my selected book.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I usually have several books going at a time so if I get bored with one I can flip to another. When I find myself agonizing over a choice among several and having trouble making up my mind, I've been known to close my eyes, reach into the bag, and pull out the first thing I get a grip on. (Then, if I catch myself finding that one boring, I'll set it aside and repeat the process. :))
Tom
jdejeu
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hey all, thank you for your replies.

I find the process interesting for choosing a book, particularly for me, because it is not the same as when choosing a film or television show. These are over quickly, and you can get through a whole story in less than two hours usually (for film). When I choose to read a book, regardless of how dry it may be, I give it more of a chance than if I were to sit in front of a television and have the option to shut it off. When I pick up a book, I become determined to finish the whole thing, in order for me to give an actual opinion on it. Sometimes I don't, but it has to be really bad.

I realize that I did post this in a non-fiction message board, partly because that is what I tend to read. Whether it is for entertainment, knowledge or personal gain, I prefer a story to be "true" rather than made up. This is my opinion. I have read a number of great books that are classified in the fictional section of literature, which can be just as good. However, nothing compares to a lived experience, where you can actually picture yourself being the author, or even in some cases visit the places you have read about.

I presented this topic in hopes to get a grasp on what non-fiction readers look for, and I look forward to getting more replies.

I hope to hearing back from everyone.
ScotsNews
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hello jdejeu,
I don't think we are meant to talk about our own books in this section, but if you'd like to email me at [email protected] (or see the link on my previous post) I can send you details. It's exactly the sort of book you just described 'nothing compares to a lived experience, where you can actually picture yourself being the author, or even in some cases visit the places you have read about'.
thebookwheel
Master Debater

Unread post

I actually wrote a post about how it's hard to find good books now and outlined the ways I find them (click here to read it). More and more, though, I am learning which of my friends to trust for recommendations.
The Book Wheel
www.thebookwheelblog.com
Books, Politics, + More!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”