• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

An idea worth considering....

#136: Feb. - Mar. 2015 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

An idea worth considering....

Unread post

We read and discussed this book back in 2003 and then had a live chat session with Ann Druyan. We've decided to pull this discussion out of the BookTalk.org Archives and give the book a second reading/discussion and chat with Ann Druyan. Ann has agreed to another live chat too.

Below you can read the older posts. Just look at the dates on each post to see if they are from the original discussion or the current discussion. Many of the members from 2003 are still members now so don't be shy about responding to their posts.

-- Chris O'Connor

Although it has been many months since we finished "The Demon-Haunted World," I can't help but think we might want to consider the following possibility. Ann Druyan is Carl Sagan's widow. Not only is she a window into Carl's mind, but she is also brilliant herself. A few years back she was involved in a very admirable project called "Project Voyager," and later termed "One Cosmos" designed to bring the beauty and intrigue of science to the masses through the latest in technology.

Ann would make an incredible BookTalk guest someday. If anyone is interested in rereading this book...or reading it for the first time if you are new here at BookTalk - let me know. We could set 3 months aside for this book so that a chat session with Ann would take place inbetween our regular author chats.

I am NOT promising I can get Ann Druyan into this chat room!!! This is a suggestion. I'm looking for feedback. I would want to know that we have at least a dozen readers actively reading and discussing Carls book. So please comment if this of interest please.

This same post is going into "The News Room"

Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: An idea worth considering....

Unread post

Hah! It's fun to look back and see how skeptical we all were about getting big names into our chat room. For those that are new to BookTalk we did actually have Ann Druyan as our guest. You can read the chat transcript by visiting our transcripts page.

Chris

From this point forward all posts are new and a part of our current discussion. Posts up to this point were from the previous discussion of The Demon-Haunted World.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I just treated myself and bought the ebook. I would be interested in discussing this, only if it starts after, "Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart".
JJ_Co
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'd love to join in, and I will read the book if it goes ahead. The time of the chat - the time of day - might play a part though. (I'm new here, and I'm pretty new to forums and chats period, so forgive me if I have misunderstood the nature of "chats." But they're real time, aren't they?)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Suzanne and JJ_Co,

Are you guys aware that we read and discussed Demon-Haunted World in 2002? We were a much smaller community back then so the discussion wasn't very active. We can certainly pull this archived discussion forum out of the archive and discuss the book again. I'm all for that. I'm just making sure we're all on the same page.

We also did a live chat with Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan, and we could potentially invite her back for Round 2. Ann was so kind and warm that I'd love the opportunity to talk with her again. When I was on the phone with Ann Druyan, Martin Scorsese walked into her office, and I could tell she was as starstruck by his presence as I was with hers. Again, she is a total sweetheart and I'd be honored to have her back as our guest.

JJ_Co, yes the live chats are in real-time. We'd all meet in the BookTalk.org chat room and talk directly with her. It would be 100% text chatting. In the past we had the greatest success with live chats at 9:00 pm on week nights. Thursday used to be our regular day. When we did chats with authors in the UK, such as Richard Dawkins and Matt Ridley, we did the chats during the day on the weekend. I believe 11:00 am Eastern in the US is 4:00 pm in England.

Suzanne, we have done quite a few overlapping book discussions. How about we start this one in January and run it through the end of March. Atheist Mind is Dec. through February. What are your thoughts on that? This idea is too exciting to hold off till March 1st. Also, Atheist Mind is a short book and Demon-Haunted World is an easy read.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Sara, your IP address and email are on numerous blacklists. Looks like you're considered a spammer by the major spam sites. So don't try any Shenanigans here please. And do NOT attempt to post links to illegal online copies of books. If you're really interested in reading and discussing this book you're welcome to join us. But I doubt you'll ever post here again. I disabled links for brand new members. You probably posted a link and didn't verify it stuck. 8)
JJ_Co
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Chris, yeah I figured there was an earlier discussion. I can see a few archive threads, and I'll read the book, catch up on the 2002 discussion, and love to be part of the round 2 chat with Ann, JJ
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Suzanne, we have done quite a few overlapping book discussions. How about we start this one in January and run it through the end of March. Atheist Mind is Dec. through February.
Sounds great.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I'm up for it!
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Nice!

Return to “Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark - by Carl Sagan with Ann Druyan”