• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

God fearing scientists

#26: April - June 2006 & Nov. - Dec. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
mal4mac

God fearing scientists

Unread post

Ch 1. is not a good beginning, Harris' arguments are far too loose. For instance:p15 "A person can be a god-fearing Christian on Sunday and a working scientist come Monday morning, without ever having to account for the partition..."Why should he need to account for the partition? If he is, say, researching Human reproduction then why can't he believe that Jesus was a 'special case'? Why can't he hold the non-overlapping magisteria of moderate Christianity and reproductive biology his mind?Harris makes me more and more tempted to throw him away and read Gould!But on p.16, he tempts me to read on by suggesting there is an ultimately important sacred dimension beyond scientific understanding that we can come to terms with without faith in untestable propositions. I gotta see how he squares that circle... Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 4/7/06 10:30 pm
diagoras

Re: God fearing scientists

Unread post

Since religion has fought science many times both in the past and present I can understand Harris' feeling about the mutual exclusion between the basic philosophies of religion and science; however, I think he was coming from a different angle when he made the statement concerning the "partition". If one derives fact from evidence six days a week, then on a Sunday accepts faith as fact, there is a fundamental difference of thought processing. This, I believe is the "partition" that Harris was speaking of.

Return to “The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - by Sam Harris”